Topic: Nominal level FF400

What is the nominal level of FF400 (+4dBu) in dBfs?

Re: Nominal level FF400

All levels are in the manual.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I guess I should have asked what is the nominal input level for RME DAC?

Not sure what the question refers to, please explain.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by romik 2011-06-23 19:46:17)

What is the best average (RMS) level (dbFS) when recording into FF400? I understand that with 24bit it is not necessary to record as close as possible to 0dbFS, so what is the ultimate average for your ADC?

There is no such figure. Also, are you referring to ADC or DAC?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ADC

So do you mean to say that quality of recorded signal will be the same when tracked averaging -10, -20, -30? (dbFS)

Yes, of course...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

What if you track at an average of -20dbFS and later normalize?

No problem... The difference in s/n ratio is an academic issue IMHO, and no difference in "sound quality".

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just look at the S/N on your mic :-O .

The miniscule amount of additional noise incurred by running an ADC at -20dBfs is literally dwarfed by the mic, preamp, compressor & acoustic noise floor in the chain.  I regularly track in that range, but tend stay closer to -12dBfs.  Keeps the mixes nice and open IMO, and leaves some wiggle room for plug-ins w/o getting all anal about gain staging at every juncture (not that being anal about gain structure is a bad thing, but if you leave some headroom it is easier to manage gain structure in general IMO).  Tracking at -3dBfs will basically FORCE you to be anal about gain structure at every step with no s/n benefits to speak of...

Regardless, the RME AD/DA's have selectable reference levels (you can vary what 0dBfs is defined as) - so you can still run the analog gear in its "Sweet Spot" (varies depending on the gear in question) and still track at sensible levels.  So the correct answer is to track at levels you are comfortable with (gain structure management in your DAW), and where the analog gear sounds its best (how hard is the analog unit's output being pushed and where does it sound best?)

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8