Topic: Babyface Driver v1.59, firmware v184 : Audio dropout on MAC OSX

Hi
After installing the new driver and update the new firmware on the BF, i experience several audio drop-out on my system.
Before that i used the beta 3 driver an the session work great, with the same project, no drop out.
For example, i work on NI Maschine, when i switch the window to fullscreen, or vice versa, fullscreen to window ..... drop outs.
Or audio click on project where everything was fine before the new driver.
Same issues in Reaper.
I tried to plug to BF in the 2 USB port on my MPB, same issue.
Whatever the buffer size (32 to 1536 samples i can't go above)
And i can't find an old driver (the latest Beta3 work fine) to run my session properly.

System spec:

Mackbook Pro 13
2.26Ghz Intel Core2Duo
4Go 1067Mhz DDR3
Mac OS X 10.6.8
NI MASCHINE 1.6.2 (R6860)
REAPER V4 beta11
BF Driver v1.59, Flash Update v184

Thanks for help

Re: Babyface Driver v1.59, firmware v184 : Audio dropout on MAC OSX

Please,
let me know where i can find a download of the old driver, i can't find it, i tried to reinstall the drivers of the cd sent with the BF, Drop out and clicks after 5min of play a basic Maschine Project, my max buffer size can't now go above 1120 samples.

Obviously it is not the RME driver doing this. You will have to find out what changed on your machine, like new graphics card driver or similar, applied in the last time.

To send you an older driver I need the version number. There is no Beta 3. 1.55, 1.56, 1.58...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply, i had finally found an old driver (v1.50 and Flash Update 2.41).
I'm affraid that the only change i did on my system is updating BF driver, no hardware install, no software update, only updating to the new driver.
Now on the V1.50 version, with the same session, everything works fine.

I'm on Macbook Pro Early 2011, 1.59 and 184 - no problems, no dropouts. I have to say that I'm just playing back at the moment, no heavy CPU load.
Regards,
Hermann

But I found a few seconds ago a problem with my setup:
Babyface 1.59 with 184
Macbook Pro Early 2011 with OSX 10.6.8

When I send my system to sleep and awake it again, when I play after waking no signal is coming out of my babyface...
Can someone else look for this symptom?
Regards,
Hermann

hermste wrote:

When I send my system to sleep and awake it again, when I play after waking no signal is coming out of my babyface...

Yeah I've had this happen a few times. It's annoying. I'm not sure if it's related to the fact my iMac is rather old (Core Duo, 2006) and apparently they have a flawed USB chipset that is not optimized for audio. In my case it could be caused by that (maybe).

Since audio interfaces in general seem to be prone to these kind of sleep/wake issues, it would be nice if manufacturers could provide a "Restart Driver" button in Control Panel / System Preferences or wherever. This would save all the messing around with rebooting the computer, unplugging USB cables, and other trial and error messing around you need to do otherwise, in order to get a sound out of it.

On an older Macbook (2008 or 2007 I think) I also saw USB Midi (non RME) not working after wake from sleep, at least not without restarting the app (or maybe just plugging in and out).

I had to plug in and out the usb connection to make it work again, closing and reopening the app did not work. Do you know is this Mac or Babyface specific?
Regards, Hermann

I'd have to check the current drivers again, but in the past I was able to sleep/wake RME USB interfaces to my hearts content, even in the middle of playback (which would resume once awake).