Topic: HELP! New UFX, TotalMix mixer won't talk to my Mackie Control properly

Hi Guys

Would love some help... I have a Mackie MCU Pro control surface that talks to Logic 9 via the Logic Control protocol.

When I switch between Logic and TotalMix, my TotalMix settings/fader positions don't come up on the Mackie control surface. I have selected the option in Logic to disable the control surface in the background, and have also set the option in TotalMix to "Disable MIDI in background".

I have ticked "Enable MIDI control".

Some weird things that are happening:

1. In TotalMix, the "Full LC Display Support" option is GREYED OUT. This is the case when I start up the Mackie in either Logic Control mode or Mackie Control mode. Not sure why this option is not visible.

2. When I select the drop-down box in TotalMix for MIDI INPUT and MIDI OUTPUT (in the MIDI controller section of settings), I am choosing "MCU PRO USB 3.1" for both in and out. However, when I save the settings and then re-open, it always goes back to MIDISPORT 4x4 PORT C (which is one of the ports on my MIDI interface used for my synths... nothing to do with the control surface!

Would love some help on how to get LC Display Support working, and also some help with why the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT for controllers won't stay as I have set them, when I save my settings.

I would also like some guidance on how to get the fader positions of TotalMix to pop up automatically when I move from Logic to TotalMix, ie when I switch between applications being on top.

RME Support, if you are on this forum, I would very much appreciate your help.

Many thanks,
Mike
mike@yeloop.com

Re: HELP! New UFX, TotalMix mixer won't talk to my Mackie Control properly

Hi again!

Is anyone able to help with this? If the RME guys are on here I would love your support!

Still having the same issues - no LC support (greyed out) and no auto-switching of fader positions when I go between Logic and TotalMix, unless I click on the MAIN or PHONES 1, PHONES 2 (etc) strip first. This kinda defeats the purpose of having faders if I have to do a heap of clicking before the faders will assume their TotalMix position!

Still also having the issue of the INPUT and OUTPUT in the controller preferences of FireFace refusing to stay at "MCU PRO USB 3.1" - they are still resetting to a random port on my MIDI interface.

I have emailed RME Support and haven't had any response either - kinda getting worried that the support from RME isn't going to be very quick!

Thanks heaps, hope to hear from you soon.
Mike

This is all in the works, stay tuned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

Thanks for the reply, appreciate this update!

Do you have a rough launch date? Will the forthcoming TotalMix update address all the issues I have described? Very concerned as I had expected these features to be available from launch, but I am willing to wait a few weeks and not change to a different interface if the update is very close to being released.

Cheers and thanks again,
Mike

2 to 3 weeks should be a realistic time frame. We are close to releasing a big TM FX update for Windows, after that the Mac version is worked on in detail.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,

This is exciting news. How will users know that the update is available?

Can I ask whether the following have been considered in the update:

1. When switching (by pressing Command + Tab) between applications, say between Logic and TotalMix, will TotalMix immediately recall the fader settings on the Mackie control surface? It is quite a frustration that you have to click on one of the control room strips when you have switched to TotalMix before the faders will pop into position.

2. When a channel strip is STEREO (eg inputs 5/6 for example), the Mackie Control currently uses TWO faders for this strip. They automatically follow each other, but it would be great if just one fader was used by the control surface for a stereo channel.  Metric Halo's 2882 mixing software does this very well - it allows you to get the most out of your 8 faders!

3. Ultimately it would be GREAT if the order of the channel strips in TotalMix could be moved around, and even if channels not being used could be HIDDEN! Again the Metric Halo mixing software allows strips to be dragged into any order, which is great for choosing which 8 strips will be used by the control surface.

4. It goes without saying, but it would be good to see the LC DISPLAY SUPPORT option not greyed out!!

Are you able to pass this feedback on to the developers, as I am sure many control surface users using TotalMix would really like to see these implemented?

Many thanks for your support!
Mike

1. This should be fixed monday in the next TM FX version (0.923 beta in this forum)

2. and 4. are scheduled for the next bigger update in january.

3. will not be implemented.

> Still also having the issue of the INPUT and OUTPUT in the controller preferences of FireFace refusing to stay at "MCU PRO USB 3.1"

Already fixed in the current 0.922 beta.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

First - thankyou for your details replies. Compared to several other companies, it is great to be able to engage with the developers directly!

I will update to 0.923 beta when it's released on Monday. Very excited to see that there are plans for a single fader to control stereo channels, and full LC display support, coming in January!

I have a few other questions / suggestions:

1. For the Mac version of TotalMix FX, the "Fireface settings" application opens up by default on starting up the computer. This settings application is something you only need to adjust occasionally, is it possible for it not to open automatically on startup? (I always just close it manually)

2. TotalMix itself also auto-opens on startup, but you have to still click the icon to show the TotalMix mixer. It would be great if the mixer was displayed already as the default state.

3. When the full update is released in January, will it be possible to use the knobs at the top of each channel strip in the Mackie Control to adjust the gain/trim on that channel? Currently it appears these knobs can only be used to control panning... would be great if you could choose either option!

4. It would be FANTASTIC to see the option to update the UFX's firmware over Firewire, not just USB! :-)

Thanks again for your support. Very excited about this product and loving it so far!

Cheers,
Mike

1 and 2 - not sure what you mean. We have a launch agent for both, but the Settings will not 'open', only start in the background. And I don't see anyone who would like to see the full TM window every time the Mac is booted. But you can do so by using the Automator. Wait for the next driver version to see and set it all up correctly. 3 stays fixed to pan. 4 is - obviously - planned, as soon as the frequency of updates has slowed down.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yeloop,

please try the beta 0.923 available here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx_mac_0923b.zip

- MIDI initialisation (Mackie faders) now active between windows, and even between windows of different devices (Disable MIDI in background)

- graphic refresh bug fixed when changing the window size and changing to a different device

- New option 'Do not load Main volume' did not set the whole mix for the main output

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

yeloop,

please try the beta 0.923 available here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx_mac_0923b.zip

- MIDI initialisation (Mackie faders) now active between windows, and even between windows of different devices (Disable MIDI in background)

- graphic refresh bug fixed when changing the window size and changing to a different device

- New option 'Do not load Main volume' did not set the whole mix for the main output

Hi MC

I noted that 1.08 firmware is required on the UFX before using this new version of TotalMix. I downloaded the latest firmware from the RME support section but it's 1.07...

Where can I get 1.08 from?

Many thanks,
Mike

1.08 is history. The version awaiting release is 1.10, with 341 for USB and 335 for FireWire:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fi … ut_234.zip

Please use this one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1.08 is history. The version awaiting release is 1.10, with 341 for USB and 335 for FireWire:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fi … ut_234.zip

Please use this one.

Thanks Matthias,

I've just tried the firmware update and the new 0.923 TotalMix FX.

Fantastic to see the new features, especially Speakers B and the Mackie control now switching over correctly.

Thankyou!

Cheers,
Mike

All up to date (6/21/11) on driver & firmware (Flash recording works great!), but having trouble configuring MIDI control by BCF2000.  Mackie Emulation selection colors input row brown (fader & buttons work remotely), but not output row.  I want to remote "cue" buttons (and thereby activate that submix).  It seems that Mackie doesn't provide UFX's flexibility - is there a UFX MIDI protocol table, and not use Mackie Emulation?  Vielen Dank...

The Cue buttons will be added to MIDI later. Selecting the current submix is no problem, even in mackie protocol, see manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I must be missing something, because the output row doesn't show brown. Options>Submix linked to MIDI control is set.  (Top row is brown and works fine with BCF2000.)  Glad cue is to come.  Thanks...

You have two ways to select the submix. If you don't change to the third row then of course the brown indication will stay in the first row, although the current submix will change.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If you don't change to the third row then of course the brown indication will stay in the first row

Got it, thanks.  (Wasn't clear the extra step of needing to select the row.)  Now problem is UFX won't respond standalone to MIDI control by a BCF2000 as it did with TMFX in the loop.  I uploaded my TMFX configuration to a UFX setup (confirmed by selected record channels showing red meter underscore?), disconnected PC/TMFX USB, activated UFX standalone, even restarted UFX and reselected my setup.  Your help appreciated as always...

From the manual:
30.6 Stand-Alone MIDI Control

When not connected to a computer, the Fireface UFX can be controlled directly via MIDI. The stand-alone MIDI control mode is activated in the unit’s menu Options, HW Options/Diagnosis, Standalone MIDI.

If you did that it must work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by RMiller 2011-06-27 15:48:54)

Steps in my post #18 show I already followed the manual #30.6, yet it does NOT work.  There must be something we're not thinking of?  FYI: 1) Disconnecting (USB) from PC/TMFX ("HW Options/Diagnosis, Standalone MIDI" set ON, no MIDI cable changes), levels on UFX are frozen as last set; 2) MIDI IN#1 shows UFX is receiving data; 3) BCF2000 loses button LED indication that worked when PC/TMFX was connected, for example the selected submix/output.  What other evidence would you have me bring to your attention?  Thanks...

Can you please try MIDI input 2 in stand-alone mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

try MIDI input 2

The same - now MIDI#2 input shows data.  Standalone confirmed ON.  It's a puzzle!

Ok, then back to MIDI in 1, which is the one officially working in stand-alone mode. I wonder if you have set up the BCF the correct way. It must be set to Cubase emulation. And you connected output 1 of the UFX to the BCF?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

UFX output #1 indeed to BCF.  Not using any emulation in BCF, but simply have programmed the functions I want using Mackie protocol, which works when PC/TMFX are connected.  Did not know Cubase was required - why is this?

The manual says:

*Tested with Behringer BCF2000 Firmware v1.07 in Mackie Control emulation for Steinberg mode and with Mackie Control under Mac OS X.

I do not know what is missing in your programming so that it doesn't work, but entering this mode you will for sure find it out quickly. Unfortunately it looks like you wasted a lot of time by not using the BCF like anyone else does - simply set it into the factory Mackie mode and off you go. A 'table' of which button does what is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/BCF2000_Labels.jpg

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

26 (edited by RMiller 2011-06-28 21:43:47)

Be assured, my investment in time has been in large part successful for custom control of the UFX when PC/TMFX is connected.  The result, for simple/fast MIDI control of just 8 input pairs and 8 submixes, is direct one-button access via Mackie CC and note protocol for input level & mute, ganging select, and submix select, level & mute.

You observe correctly that it has been somewhat frustrating that, after flashing this as a UFX setup, standalone does work the same as when connected to the PC/TMFX (of course within the non-software limits of standalone stated in the manual).  But in general, I feel that the UFX and RME's software tools for it are to be highly regarded.

BTW my BCF2000 currently has firmware v1.10, Behringer's link to v1.07 is broken (I reported it to Behringer a week ago!), and it is not clear whether 1.10 or 1.07 is later or better.