Topic: Best way for volume control

Hi there,

I'm using a HDSP9632/AO4S-192 AIO in my Home-Hifi equipment. I use Mediamonkey as a player for FLAC files with SPDIF configured as output. Using the loopback function of the HDSP, the signal is routed to the SPDIF input into a software called Thuneau frequency allocator, which is a software crossover network. There the signal is routed to the analog outputs of the HDSP/AO4S, which are directly connected to the output stages/power amplifiers, which have no analog volume control.

I'm now wondering, which will be the best method to control the playback volume in respect of the audio quality. Basically, there are three possibilities:
- the volume control of Mediamonkey
- the playback channel in TotalMix
- The output channel in TotalMix
- (Using the Windows7 volume control functions is not possible as the HDSP is not responding to it.)

Is there any difference to be expected, when using the  different possibilities? Or would you even recommend to use an multichannel analog volume control after the HDSP (which would be very cost-intensive) and leave the digital volume controls untouched?

Furthermore, if TotalMix is the best solution, is there any possibility to use a remote control with this application?

Thanks in advance
Matthias