Topic: ufx -> Above 96k " static"

Hi, recently got myself an UFX. Sofar so good, working on the small learning curve before I start using for real next week.
Something I noticed when cycling thru the sample-rates settings available. When I switch to anything higher than 96K I start hearing what good be described as " static noise" quite audible background on the PH 9/10 but not on PH 11/12.
Everything works fine on 96K and below....
I know above 96K is not something I will use but nevertheless; it's there so should work, right??
Am I doing something wrong here??

Best Regards
Henk

Re: ufx -> Above 96k " static"

Driver version? Firmware version? Computer/Operating system? Buffer size used?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias,

Thanks for the quick reply

Driver version? -> 0.948
Firmware version? -> 1.38
Computer/Operating system? -> AMD Turion 64 with XP SP3 (no DAW running, just Total mix FX for UFX control with USB recording on a 60GB USB drive)
Buffer size used? -> tried all available; no change

Update June 23rd: Actually tried again today with a "fresh start" (full reset); sofar so good :-)
If it comes back I will let you know obviously

Hartelijke Groeten
Henk

Well...unfortunately it came back ("static" on 9/10 PH).
After about 30-45 min. in operation it slowly starts to build-up and now (after around 1 hour) it's just a steady static noise in the background..

I run Totalmix FX now on another PC (Intel i3 with windows 7) but that has now influence. Also when disconnected from the PC the static noise stays..

Tried to route to all other Analog outs, but there I do not hear it.
Only on PH 9/10 at bit rate >96K. Buffer samples has no influence on this phenomenae.

On another note. I found out that Analog in 3 does not accept unbalanced cables. Only when you plug-in half way it works. All the way in -> no signal.
Only Analog in3 with unbalanced -> balanced is fine. All other Analog in/ no problem found. Probably hardware issue?

Groeten
Henk

Nice tracking down! Indeed this looks like a hardware problem. As your input 3 is definitely broken please return the unit. Just one question: do you see the noise in the Level Meters of TotalMix when you switch them to Post FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I will have to try post-fx after the weekend; I'm out from now

I will contact the re-seller about return policy. I have not yet sent in my warranty card to you guys since I only have the unit here since Tuesday this week...(on the "things to do list" :-) )

Thanks!

Groeten
Henk

7 (edited by MatsHelgesson 2011-06-25 17:49:30)

I'm getting the same static @ 192 KHz with the UFX. When booting the UFX standalone, I get zero static @ 192, but when connecting the PC and starting playback of audio from Foobar 2000 @ 192 KHz, I get horrible static. Only in the headphone outputs. This continues until I reboot the UFX. When I have rebooted the interface I don't get static until I route audio from any input to the headphone outputs. They also seem independent from each other. When I route audio from SW playback 1 & 2 to Headphone 2 and not Headphone 1, I get static in only the HP 2 output.

I hope this makes sense.

I've not had this before updating to the 0.941 drivers, hardware revision 350 as it worked great a couple of weeks ago when I did the editing of this concert @ 192. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, x64, Core Quad Q6400, 4 GB ram.

I usually listen @ 96 KHz but today I did some 192 KHz listening to some choir recordings.

EDIT: I can't see the noise in the meters, either Pre or Post FX. It doesn't make any difference if I add EQ or not to the headphone output either. And the static has the same level, regardless of what volume I'm using. I'll try recording some of it.

EDIT2: http://www.livingsound.se/ufxstatic.zip  It doesn't sound very nice at all. I used an insert cable from the headphone 1 out to the Analog 3-4 @ +4 dB. 24 bit 192 KHz unedited.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Thanks for the details. At 192 kHz we can reproduce this error at the phones out. Means monday/tuesday a firmware update should fix that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Thanks for the details. At 192 kHz we can reproduce this error at the phones out. Means monday/tuesday a firmware update should fix that.

cool

Mats Helgesson

New firmware 351/138/340 is available on our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks! So far so good. The hard work of the RME team to get thigs sorted so quickly is truely appreciated. (By all of us I am sure!).
Just now need to get my hardware defect on AN3 sorted :-(
I guess I have no other alternative than to return my unit and be UFX-less for a while...

Hartelijke Groeten
Henk

MC wrote:

New firmware 351/138/340 is available on our website.

Fantastic! I'll try it as soon as I get back home from my day job. You're doing a great job!

Mats Helgesson

Working as advertised. This is my third RME interface and I intend to continue. Seriously, really impressively fast fix.

Mats Helgesson