Topic: ff800 and babyface - need to run totalmix and totalmix fx?

hello

i'm a big fan of my ff800 and am considering a babyface for a coming travel recording session.

i understand that the two interfaces use different drivers and different versions of totalmix. will i need to run both totalmix and totalmix fx at the same time? is there a more elegant solution?

thanks!
matt

Re: ff800 and babyface - need to run totalmix and totalmix fx?

Install both, but only the version relevant to the attached interface will be loaded.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

thanks jeff.

but that's not my question.

what about using them simultaneously?

Well, that's not the question you asked wink

In what way do want want to use them together? Mac or PC?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

i'm a mac guy.

i'd take advantage of the extra input channels.

i've read comments that suggest that the dac on the babyface is a step up. if i find that it is, that might be nice to use, too.

Ok, you can do this, you'll need to connect them via Toslink to carry audio and sync between the units. You can create an aggregate device, or just use the FF800 as usual and route to the ADATs. Both mixers will be active, but this is no trouble.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

again, not my question. i'm sorry if i'm not clear.

switching back and forth between my daw and totalmix is already annoying.

if i add the babyface to my fireface 800 setup, will i have to now have to switch back and forth between totalmix and totalmix fx and my daw?

doesn't anyone recognize the need to streamline this and access routing and mix controls for all rme devices at once?

8 (edited by neirbod 2011-06-08 19:56:33)

You can set up the FF800 in standalone mode to act as an external converter, then run ADAT outs from the FF800 to the Babyface.  That way, you see all the channels in TMFX.

I don't see the need to combine a FF800 with a Babyface. Makes no real sense, as mentioned in the BF manual. You loose more than you gain for your money...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes. i see in the manual that you all at rme don't see the need to run both at the same time.

i think you're discounting the motivation of many users who'd like both the portability of the babyface and the ability to use it to add a few or more ins and outs to their system. sometimes another couple of inputs are helpful.

it's hard to add gear that you cannot use simply with other gear, particularly from the same manufacturer.

i did indeed buy a babyface and look forward to using it on a travel project this week. i'm a big rme fan. but i'm disappointed that you guys can't see this possibility.

I can understand your motivation. The Babyface is a very attractive product - especially for big RME fans - and the perfect interface for mobile use. If it's there, so why not use it also in the studio (e. g. as monitoring output/controller) together with already existing RME hardware. It's possible to use it with some limitations together with other RME hardware (see Jeffs posting above). Keep in mind you loose some of it's features when you use it this way and there is no guarantee that this combination works completely flawlessly.

best regards
Knut