Topic: Can you bypass the pre-amps on a Fireface UC?

Hi there

I'm considering purchasing a Fireface UC.

I couldn't work out from the website whether the pre-amps on the XLR inputs on the Fireface UC were bypassable or not?
(I have a two-channel external pre that I really like the sound of, and I prefer to keep that sound intact and uncoloured in my vocal mic chain.)

If not, could I simply use one of the line inputs on the back instead?

While I'm asking questions, can I also just ask: how many analogue inputs can I record with, simultaneously, on the Fireface UC?

One Babyface question too: can I also just check that there is no way of recording more than two analogue channels simultaneously on a Babyface without using supplementary ADAT devices? If the Babyface's instrument input is used, that takes the place of one of the mic inputs, right?

(I realise some of this information is in the specs, I'd just like to have this 100% confirmed before I spend any money... Sorry if these are FAQs, I just couldn't find the answers...)

Thanks!

Matt

Re: Can you bypass the pre-amps on a Fireface UC?

OK, since posting this thread I've now found the answer in the forums. Yes, they are bypassable.

I have another question then.

Do the Fireface UC and the Babyface use the same analogue-digital converters? Are the converters on the UC 'superior' to the Babyface (or vice versa)?

Re: Can you bypass the pre-amps on a Fireface UC?

Do the Fireface UC and the Babyface use the same analogue-digital converters?

No.

Are the converters on the UC 'superior' to the Babyface (or vice versa)?

Please have a look on the specifications on the product website. If you ask two people which sounds better you will get three meanings.

best regards
Knut