1 (edited by Spid 2010-10-25 10:30:11)

Topic: Pop/clicks with driver update 0.960

I was running ver. 0.935 till some minutes ago and everything was fine. Buffer size was always at 512 samples with no underruns whatsoever.

Now with the new update, i get very short and random clicks and pops even at 1024 samples when i listen to audio playback. This can't be right...
Another thing i noticed is that in the buffer size sample section, it never showed me an error till now. Even in the old update. Why is that?

Well i didn't manually delete the old totalmix autorun data yet (like mentioned in that sticked update thread). But i have a strange feeling this wont solve my problem eitherway.

Anyway, how would i go about and do that on a Windows 7 64 bit system?

All i did right now is click on the "remove old mixer autorun" reg file which came with the zip off your site. Is that it?

However i still need help with the pops and clicks please.

Re: Pop/clicks with driver update 0.960

Did you update your firmware as well?

3 (edited by Spid 2010-10-26 03:35:30)

Yes i did. And i feel like its even worse now...

However i don't get the clicks and pops while working on a project in cubase.

Only if i listen to audio like youtube, etc.
I didn't change any windows settings when i did the uc update...so i don't really know what the case is.
Maybe it's something with the playback settings on the windows audio option..but like i said, i didn't touch anything before or after the update so this doesn't make sense.

But it definitely got worse after the firmware update...to a point where you clearly hear the pops and clicks every 5-7 seconds.
As it is right now, i can't listen to audio cuz its so annoying...i have to admit, i'm pissed. You would think such an expensive piece of hardware would work properly at any given moment...but well..

I need a solution to this quick please.
Thank you.

What you describe is not "listening" to audio, but watching Adobe Flash video via browser. There were *several* flash updates during the last couple of weeks.

What happens if you listen to audio locally via Windows Media Player, WinAmp or Foobar or whatever?

5 (edited by MH 3 2010-10-27 11:18:51)

Hi,

I?m back to 111 + 0.938 after too much trouble with 112 + 0.960.
USB erorrs + Sam Labs up to 1xxx in seconds

I like the new TM but the old driver works better for me wink

Regards

And yes-> i have uninstalled the reg entry

FF UCX - ADI 8 QS(DOTec Madi/Usb i64) - Madi HDSPe(Tco 4)

You can try firmware 112 with the old driver, it only fixes something in stand-alone mode, so should not change anything for you. You could then install the new driver again, check the errors, then exit the new TM to check if that causes the problems. A test would be much appreciated as we do not see errors over here.

And what do you mean with 'Sam Labs up to...'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I guess he's referring to lost ASIO buffers...

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

8 (edited by MH 3 2010-10-28 07:53:58)

Hi,

yes i referred to the infamous Lost Asio Buffer!

I installed 112 again-> no trouble
I installed 0.960 again->no trouble, so far!

Maybe something went wrong with 112(install with showing 111 during update) and the real
112?

Regards

They are back ed: .After running a Vip for 02:30 hours (without any trouble) i get these Labs back.

Basic Stereo Vip for listening to music in the background-no plugs- Asio Buffer 2048.
Maybe it?s the new patch 11.1.1

Hi,

I?m back to 112 + 0.938, everything is fine now.

Leider konnte ich den Grund f?r das Verhalten der 0.960 nicht finden. Komischerweise
traten die Fehler auch erst nach einer l?ngeren Zeit wieder auf. Hatte ich so noch nie.

Gru?

Marcus Holzapfel

10 (edited by kevint 2010-10-28 08:43:51)

When I run DPC Latency check, I found the new TotalMix FX comes with 0.960 driver imposes higher CPU load, nominal spike is over 110us.   If I quit TotalMix FX, nominal will come down to 80us.   The old TotalMix imposes less CPU load when in resident mode.

Not sure whether it is the root cause of pop / clicks problem with driver 0.960.

MH 3 wrote:

They are back ed: .After running a Vip for 02:30 hours (without any trouble) i get these Labs back. Basic Stereo Vip for listening to music in the background-no plugs- Asio Buffer 2048.

When the errors in Sam are shown, do you also see errors in the UC Settings dialog?

If the errors come up, does exiting TM FX help?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by MH 3 2010-10-28 09:06:57)

Hi MC,

there is no direct relation between Labs and UC Errors.

But the UC Errors are higher than normal over the time.-> 0/12 or even 1/6 (normal is 0/0 to 0/1 over a long time)

It doesen?t matter if TM is open or closed(at 2048 Buffer that should not be a problem anyhow)!

Regards

You should not have errors at all! If so something is seriously wrong with your system. If you have errors with the old driver too then the problem is somewhere else.

Regarding TotalMix FX: You have to exit (!) TotalMix. Closing the window does nothing, only exiting the program from the systray's context menu might make a difference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

MC wrote:

You should not have errors at all! If so something is seriously wrong with your system. If you have errors with the old driver too then the problem is somewhere else.

It?s the Dell Wlan driver-if i turn it off, everything is save! But it?s my internet and music listening pc, so i?m fine with that :-) .

MC wrote:

Regarding TotalMix FX: You have to exit (!) TotalMix. Closing the window does nothing, only exiting the program from the systray's context menu might make a difference.

I reinstalled 0.960 and will swith TMFX off, when the Labs rise again. I?ll report back later.
Thanks for your help

Regards

Aaah, that famous company :-)

Thanks for testing again!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

TM is not the problem. The only thing to stop this madness is to restart the driver in Samplitude.
Y-> Einstellungen-then it?s ok for two to three hours. I can?t find something new started in the Taskmanager
or anywere else.

Regards

Ich weiss absolut nicht was ich noch machen soll.

Alles ist update...hab die firmware nochmal dr?ber laufen lassen und der regkey ist auch up to date.

Trotzdem sind da die clicks und pops. In cubase ist alles in Ordnung aber irgendwo im Web f?ngts dann schon an. Flash ist auch die neuste Version drauf.
Was sehr komisch ist, dass es nicht immer der Fall ist wenn ich den PC starte. Wenn die clicks und pops da sind werde ich sie nicht los. Da n?tzt auch das UC neu starten nichts. Am n?chsten Morgen wenn ich den PC anschalte kanns dann aber gut sein, dass alles wunderbar lauft.

Ich hab nichts an den Windows Einstellungen gemacht, am UC genau so wenig...sowohl vor als auch nach dem Update. Ich weiss nur dass ich vor dem update auf 0.960 NIE auch nur irgendein glitch/pop/crackle geh?rt habe.

Ich h?tt echt nie updaten sollen...alles lief wunderbar vor dem update.

MH 3 wrote:

TM is not the problem. The only thing to stop this madness is to restart the driver in Samplitude.
Y-> Einstellungen-then it?s ok for two to three hours. I can?t find something new started in the Taskmanager
or anywere else.

So at one point in time there is some kind of too long interruption and that one de-syncs the driver somehow. I would bet that you never have those errors without an error shown in the Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Spid wrote:

Ich weiss absolut nicht was ich noch machen soll.

Wo ist das Problem? Alte Firmware drauf, alter Treiber, dann ist es so wie vorher. Sollte es dann immer noch ein Problem geben ist die Ursache doch eine ganz andere, und es reiner Zufall dass es mit dem Treiber-Firmware-Update los ging.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

when I exit TM after a restart and open Sam afterwards it works! so far. No Labs. HeadScratch

So exit TM during these Labs does not help, exit TM before openig Sam seems to be a cure somehow.

NO TM is, of course, not the answer :-)

Regards

Hi,

TM 0.915 works fine here :-) .

Regards

22 (edited by Spid 2011-03-19 16:02:13)

Windows 7.

RME FF UC USB.

Driver Version: 0.966

Hardware Revision: 112

I still get the pops and clicks when i playback audio in any other program than my DAW. So to get this clear...when i run audio through cubase or fl studio, everything runs fine without a single pop or glitch at 512 samples.

But when i playback audio on the internet such as youtube or any other flash format AND on the pc with programs like Windows media player...i get major pops and clicks throughout the entire run time.

I re-installed the UC today (atleast i think cuz it seems its not that easy to wipe out this device off of my computer completely...) but nothing happened. At this point i'm pissed...like really pissed..everytime i play a clip and i hear those clicks it drives me crazy. EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE. Flash, my interface, just everything.

Why do i still get pops and clicks then? And no...the sound is not clipping no matter at which db level i play it back. Right now i got 1/2 for my daw and 7/8 for other playback...could this be the problem? Seriously i don't really know whats wrong. Considering that everything works fine while in a DAW, it has to be something with my internal settings no?

I need help please. I can't stand this anymore. Its hard to believe i paid so much money for a audio device that can't even play back the music glitch-free. I expect a hardware device this expensive to work without any goofy work-arounds i have to set before it can work properly...update to the latest patches and it should be ready to go thats it...wasting major time looking through windows sound settings to find a possible "work-around" solution is the last thing i want to do.

DAW --> audio has no pops/clicks at all.
flash, wmm, vlc, other apps --> audio is full of clicks and pops.

And if i get pops and clicks shouldn't the device detect them and show it in the usb settings window? To this day i never saw an error listed in that window...it always says 0/0.

http://img18.imageshack.us/i/pic1qg.png/
http://img857.imageshack.us/i/pic2y.png/

These are the default settings when i re-installed the uc device just an hour ago.

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/pic3z.png/

Changed it from 1k to 512 samples, everything else is still default.

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/pic4l.png/

As you can see, all up to date.

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/pic5z.png/

The regular audio device is disabled aswell as Windows sounds.

I think this is all..i can't do any more than that so help is greatly appreciated.

23 (edited by Plutotype 2011-03-19 16:24:36)

Hi,
I have simillar issue with RME Babyface.
see here:http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 762#p52762
Dont know what to do too.
Pluto

The weird thing is that latencymon or other latency checker do not show me any sign of error. Still i can clearly hear the clicks and pops when i play a mp3 file or youtube/flash video.

Why would the UC interface work perfectly in the DAW itself but cause glitching with any other audio playback app or flash? This is absurd.

25 (edited by Plutotype 2011-03-19 17:26:34)

Hi,
Try the 0.976 beta driver posted yesterday, it looks the things have improved a lot.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10506

Set RME as default sound card in Win7 and test more. I got dropouts just after this update, but after multiple restarts ( was reinstalling some apps ), tested now and it looks like its ok.
EDIT: 5-6 skips/dropouts in 1 hour set played back in WMP. )-:
Pluto

Plutotype wrote:

Hi,
Try the 0.976 beta driver posted yesterday, it looks the things have improved a lot.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10506

I just installed it, restarted the pc and tried some youtube videos and mp3 files with wmp, no clicks and pops so far. They first glitches usually occur after a few seconds and then through the whole track every 10 or so seconds. Looks good for now but this could be coincidence.

I'm gonna test it for a couple of days and report then.

I would really like to help you and solve this mystery. I was wondering if the effect comes from not using the Loudspeaker device for WDM standard playback. So I did some tests but still perfect over here...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

28 (edited by Spid 2011-03-20 14:23:01)

MC wrote:

I would really like to help you and solve this mystery. I was wondering if the effect comes from not using the Loudspeaker device for WDM standard playback. So I did some tests but still perfect over here...

Second day with the new beta driver and still no pops and clicks when i fire up a flash video or windows media player...well this could be it. I really really hope this is no coincidence. You must understand these pops and clicks where just unbearable. Sometimes it was such a turn off i immediately shut down the computer after the first glitch...especially tragic because everything works just fine when i play it back in Cubase or other DAWs. So i really hope this new beta update caused the fix because i'm at the end of my possibilities. Can't think of anything i didn't try yet. I disabled the windows on board sound card and uninstalled the app that came with it. The RME interface is set to use as default device (as you can see in the pic above). However i still believe its windows 7 that caused the problem before...

Well i'll run the new beta drivers for a couple of days and see then if its really fixed. When will be the final version out to this new update?

After futher testing with my Babyface, Im done. My model of Babyface lacks of glitchfree WDM audio output on my PC desktop. When set as default audio device in Win7 64-bit ( rme babyface speakers or phones no matters ), the card is giving me dropouts when streaming audio from various sites. It gives me audiodropouts when doing playback via WMP.
512 or 2048 buffer - no change
internal mobo realtek disabled or enabled - no change
44.1 or 48K - no change

Will test the card on my notebook with the 0.976 drivers and revert back with results.
Thanks
Pluto

30 (edited by Plutotype 2011-03-21 08:40:21)

Hi Spid, Matthias,

Finally found the cause for the issue. Matthias, you was right all the time....it was my hardware/drivers...fryingpan:-)

After testing Babyface on my laptop, which I use for DJing, the babyface rocked without any single glitch or audio dropout. I was testing it with 0.976.
So...I pluged the card back to the USB port on my Gigabyte MB ( desktop PC ). The issues went on back immediately of course. After changing the USB port from the NEC/Renesas USB3.0 port/hub to the JMicron JMB362 E-sata/USB port included on the MB, the issues disappeared. So there has to be a bug at the NEC/Renesas USB3.0 port/hub driver. I had the latest driver which can be found on Gigabyte site, but looked today over the web. The results?
Since 2.0.30.0 version of the driver (from dec 2010 ) there has been recently a 2.0.34.0 update and also a device firmware update to version 3.0.2.7.0.8.
NONE OF THEM ARE LISTED ON THE GIGABYTE SITE YET.

I installed updated both. Moved the Babyface USB cable from JMicron JMB362 E-sata/USB port to the updated NEC/Renesas USB3.0 port/hub. Issues returned though. The NEC USB 3.0 driver is somehow buggy or RME Babyface does not like to be connected to a USB 3.0 port/hub from Renesas.

ADDITIONALY: The 0.976 RME driver fixed another big issue which I had with the RME WDM driver and posted about a month ago. The WDM driver 0.976 looks glitch free also under not ideal DPC latency conditions ( tied the results with multimedia Realtek on this ).

Pluto

0976 seems to have cleared any remaining glitches for me with regular multimedia playback using the BF. Good stuff!

32 (edited by Spid 2011-03-22 00:45:56)

Gr8h8m wrote:

0976 seems to have cleared any remaining glitches for me with regular multimedia playback using the BF. Good stuff!

Not for me...it worked for like 2 days but it was all coincidence unfortunately...i get the pops and glitches again in the same manner as before...sometimes more sometimes less but the glitching is still there..to make this clear, there are days i don't here a single glitch when i listen with windows media player or youtube and then there are days where its intolerable. You could say its constant but i can't really tell because there are times it doesn't glitch at all. Still in all those days and months no glitching/pops when i workd in a DAW...just in regular play back when i listen to mp3's or flash videos.

Right now i'm on the new beta driver, the problem still remains even if i downgrade.

All my usb ports are up to date...i tried every port, even the 4 hub ports but its always the same result. I'm done with fixing this absurd problem. Please somebody tell me whats the best solution to get rid of the fireface uc drver device on a win7 system. And i mean completely. Not some half assed work around method...I want to wipe out the whole device and install it fresh one more time so i can rule out the possibility that the interface itself is the actual problem. I'm about to get a brandnew pc win7 setup in a few months...if the same problems occur on the new system i'm not gonna look any further into this interface or any other RME product...while i'm totally happy with the interface performance within a DAW, theres quite a lot of times i need to listen to audio media files on the very same computer. Having pops and glitches on a simple little mp3 file or youtube video is just unacceptable.

The last possible solution could be formatting my HD but i'm not gonna go through the hassle of installing the whole system + music software/libraries, just to see if this black little box works on a proper level this time around. A sound interface worth this much money should work right of the bat. And if not it should atleast be able to tell me what causes this problem. The fireface settings window never listed any error..it always stays on 0/0 whatever this means.

Once again heres a list of what i already did try out:

- leave the device settings on default which windows itself set it to (pic)
http://img18.imageshack.us/i/pic1qg.png/
http://img857.imageshack.us/i/pic2y.png/

- disable every other on board device + uninstalling sound apps that came with it + mute the windows volume mixer + disable windows sounds (pic)
http://img196.imageshack.us/i/pic5z.png/

- leave the internal fireface settings on default touching nothing except for the sample buffer, changed from 1k to 512 samples (pic)
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/pic3z.png/

- updating to the latest interface drivers including the new beta driver (the previous versions caused the same problem) (pic)
http://img41.imageshack.us/i/pic4l.png/

- set the software playback to other outputs

- checking with latencymon and other latency-checkers (no peaks, no errors, it says my setup is perfectly suited for live audio playback)

- streaming audio with different sample buffer settings however i don't really think this has any effect on audio outside of a DAW right?

- try out the cable on every usb 2.0 port even on the 4-port hub. Everything seems to be up to date here.

- uninstall the fireface drivers and device and install the newest version again (manually)...did this several times although i don't really think it wipes out the data completely off of my system. Every time what i did is go to the device manager first and uninstall the drivers and then go to the control panel and uninstall the actual RME application.

This is it. Smart heads of RME, please please..i beg you, tell me what is causing the pops and clicks here. I can't stand this status anymore. I hate it to see how this device works perfectly in cubase but causes major pops and clicks when i want to play back a simple media file or flash video outside of a DAW. It makes me sick.

Also please explain to me why i find like 4 different total mix files when i type in the search...
http://img853.imageshack.us/i/totalmix.png/

Shouldn't a new update delete the previous versions? I downgraded to 966 some minutes ago and patched the new beta driver again and it seems like it made another copy of totalmix in the win32 directory...now theres 5 totalmix files. Is this supposed to happen?

Thank you.

Hi Spid,
I know how you feel. I have a not a cheap PC at home and would also expect that the motherboard from Gigabyte will be more supportive.
On my Gigabyte GA-X58a-UD5 are 3 USB controllers. After further testing, only the JMicron JMB362 E-sata/USB port seems to be glitch free. If Babyface is on the NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 port or the Southbridge USB 2.0 ports, i still get sound dropouts with multimedia content. Will let the card attached on the Jmicron for a couple of days and watch it. Spend couple of long nights by dealing with the issue too.
My advice for you to buy a simple PCIe/PCI to USB card and test it. Or test it on another computer with fully different mobo. Actually my notebook helped me to confirm that my nice silver edition is not faulty.
Pluto

Hi Guys,

I am getting the same problem. Bought Babyface just last week, and playback of audio on F00bar, Vlc, windows media player etc is unbearably glitchy, dropping out and skipping randomly every 4-5 seconds regardless of the buffer size.  But it appears to be OK with Ableton.

As it happens I'm building a new PC today, so I will wait and install it on there and hopefully the problem will be gone.

Cheers,
Steve

35 (edited by Plutotype 2011-04-05 23:07:45)

hedflux wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am getting the same problem. Bought Babyface just last week, and playback of audio on F00bar, Vlc, windows media player etc is unbearably glitchy, dropping out and skipping randomly every 4-5 seconds regardless of the buffer size.  But it appears to be OK with Ableton.

As it happens I'm building a new PC today, so I will wait and install it on there and hopefully the problem will be gone.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Pls try to install the 977 version of the driver. Its still not a perfect WDM driver, but it fixed 99 percent of any skips and glitches by me ( still getting very small skip every 5-10minutes ).
beta driver usb win
Pluto

Hello, I bought Babyface a week ago and had it working just fine playing back music from my preferred J. River Media Jukebox on my PC. I actually got Babyface for music playback due to RME's well respected D/A converters. I like to play hard drive stored FLAC files and channel them to a high end stereo. 2 days ago my C Drive crashed and I had to re-install everything...took this as an opportunity to replace O/S and went for Windows 7.  I am now experiencing the snap, crackle and pop that I have been reading about in this thread. I love the overall sound I am hearing through Babyface, but the crackle and pops every 20 seconds or so is killing me. I will try the new drivers and firmware upgrades...but if this doesn't work I may reinstall Windows XP where I did not have this issue. Of course I may also decide to return my new Baby! Very frustrating...

Niall, it's probably a system issue. Make sure you have the OS set to High Performance, not Balanced (Control Panel > Power), and check for DPCs.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Niall, it's probably a system issue. Make sure you have the OS set to High Performance, not Balanced (Control Panel > Power), and check for DPCs.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Thanks Jeff, I will certainly check my performance setting...but, and I am sitting with fingers crossed...I installed the new .966 driver and am currently sitting in my chair listening to 10 minutes of music and no pops or crackles...tomorrow I will give it a major long listen too. Surely hoping my issues are resolved with this simple driver update though.
Niall

Everyone who is still experiencing dropouts:

1) Post a screenshot of your DPCs via DPC latency checker.

2) Go to device-manager and find the USB root hub the Babyface (BF) is connected to. How much bandwidth is reserved?

3) What USB chipset is listed there/are you using?

4) Does it make a difference wether you are using front ports of your desktop Pc or backside ones? Did you try different ports (all available)?

Niall wrote:

Hello, I bought Babyface a week ago and had it working just fine playing back music from my preferred J. River Media Jukebox on my PC. I actually got Babyface for music playback due to RME's well respected D/A converters. I like to play hard drive stored FLAC files and channel them to a high end stereo. 2 days ago my C Drive crashed and I had to re-install everything...took this as an opportunity to replace O/S and went for Windows 7.  I am now experiencing the snap, crackle and pop that I have been reading about in this thread. I love the overall sound I am hearing through Babyface, but the crackle and pops every 20 seconds or so is killing me. I will try the new drivers and firmware upgrades...but if this doesn't work I may reinstall Windows XP where I did not have this issue. Of course I may also decide to return my new Baby! Very frustrating...

Update: Just want to say...I am a happy guy today. I have been listening to music through Babyface for the last 4 hours and not a snap, crackle or pop the entire time...just great, smooth full sound, and all I did was download and install driver .966 :-) . Yea!

There is a news firmware update:

NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 Firmware 3.0.2.8.0.8

Timur wrote:

Everyone who is still experiencing dropouts:

1) Post a screenshot of your DPCs via DPC latency checker.

2) Go to device-manager and find the USB root hub the Babyface (BF) is connected to. How much bandwidth is reserved?

3) What USB chipset is listed there/are you using?

4) Does it make a difference wether you are using front ports of your desktop Pc or backside ones? Did you try different ports (all available)?

Do you (or anybody) know how to do that on mac? I'm having spikes (clicks pops) when switching the 48v on after last update. They're between 60-40 dBs when I enable record and in playback. Every 6-15 seconds.

I went back to the old drivers, the same. I switched back again to the latest ones and now I have audio spikes in ONE pre only when enabling 48v and only with some mics.

One week without tracking drums yet.

Did you try the double power cable or an external power supply?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the fast response.

I already tried the double usb but I'll order an external power supply, cheers