Topic: Fireface UC feature requests

Hello.

I am very happy with my new Fireface UC. However, there are a few software/firmware features that would make my experience with this audio interface even better. (I did read the manual but could not find any references to the features below. If I missed something in the manual, my apologies.)

(1) After pairing the microphone inputs in Totalmix FX, the rotary encoder only changes the gain of either input 1 or input 2. It would be great if it could adjust the gain of both preamps simultaneously using the rotary encoder. (I note that in the Fireface USB Settings window (driver version 0.938) on my PC, this already works. But it doesn't work on my Mac, where the gains are in Totalmix, not the Settings window).

(2) Select snapshot from rotary encoder, so I don't have to use a laptop when I want change snapshots in standalone mode. It would be great if I could create snapshots in Totalmix, and then recall them without a computer from the front of the device. This would be useful when using the Fireface UC as a standalone preamp, mid-side decoder, ADC/DAC etc.

(3) Sometimes, I use the Fireface UC without loading Totalmix. I adjust the levels, including the headphone volume, using the rotary encoder on the device itself. However, when I do load Totalmix FX (version 0.911 on my Mac), it automatically recalls snapshot 1 and messes up my levels. It would be nice if Totalmix FX reflected current Fireface UC settings and levels when it is loaded, so I don't get any nasty surprises when Totalmix opens.

That's it for now. It really is a pleasure using such a well conceived and engineered product.

Jonathan.

Re: Fireface UC feature requests

(1) might find its way into the firmware one day (has been requested before). (2) is not possible as the unit does not have memory for more than the current state. (3) is not possible as there is no way to read the current settings out of the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for clarifying this. Much appreciated.

Jonathan.

Concerning (3) I'd like an option to just keep Totalmix from overriding the settings at startup without notification. A simple optional safety-dialog would be enough to keep people (me) from blowing their ears. wink

MC wrote:

(1) might find its way into the firmware one day (has been requested before).

Nice to hear, but on that occasion please don't forget an option for switching phantom power on/off in standalone mode...

Timur, this is simply not possible. If we could read the unit's settings then we could read them into the software. As this is not the case we can not know if they are different. So your dialog would come up EVERY time you connect the unit. I bet that's not what people want either...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I thought more about the dialog comming up every time I start Totalmix with the unit already being connected. Since with the UC Totalmix is not started automatically (as with the FF) it can happen easily that you start TM after having changed settings on the unit already. This is different from your example, because in my case the unit is already connected and *running*.

The dialog would be annoying, but since it would be optional it's still better than blowing your ears just by starting TM during playback. It happened to me during the Beta when I did not know that TM could not read the unit's settings, but even later I sometimes forgot to load TM manually before doing any changes.

It's not an important feature request, but one that I'd likely use just to remind my ole brain-full-of-holes. fryingpan The FF autoload thing always worked for me without flaws on OS X, so I'd prefer to have that back (at least optional) instead of a workaround dialog. That way the problem wouldn't happen anymore anyway.

jg1983 wrote:

(3) Sometimes, I use the Fireface UC without loading Totalmix. I adjust the levels, including the headphone volume, using the rotary encoder on the device itself. However, when I do load Totalmix FX, it automatically recalls snapshot 1 and messes up my levels. It would be nice if Totalmix FX reflected current Fireface UC settings and levels when it is loaded, so I don't get any nasty surprises when Totalmix opens.

Any development on getting Totalmix FX to match the current Fireface UC settings and levels when it is loaded?

You read post number 6?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I missed it.ed:

So I guess this:

MC wrote:

Timur, this is simply not possible. If we could read the unit's settings then we could read them into the software. As this is not the case we can not know if they are different.

also renders this not possible:

Timur wrote:

The FF autoload thing always worked for me without flaws on OS X, so I'd prefer to have that back.

?

MC wrote:

(1) might find its way into the firmware one day (has been requested before). (2) is not possible as the unit does not have memory for more than the current state. (3) is not possible as there is no way to read the current settings out of the unit.

+1 to number (1) -- this would be a very useful feature.  Shame about the other limitations, but the UC is still great.

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

What about reading and writing snapshots to USB?  Wouldn't this answer 2 and 3 with a little bit of saving and opening?