Topic: Babyface TotalMix: faders question - SW playback vs. Main

Hi:

Since Babyface output level control occurs in the digital domain, when I have only one SW Playback channel in TotalMix playing, assigned to Main, I am assuming there is no difference whatever between the following two scenarios:
1) setting SW Playback fader to -20 dB and the Main fader to -20 dB
2) setting SW Playback fader at 0 dB and the Main fader to -40 dB.

Correct?

Thanks.

Re: Babyface TotalMix: faders question - SW playback vs. Main

Correct. But a heavy level mismatch to your monitors like this calls for trouble. Get yourself some passive attenuators to be able to have the TM level at least at -20 dB, not -40 like now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Or just turn down the input sensitivity on the power amp or active monitor's inputs wink

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

My active monitors (Acoustic Energy AE22) can only change sensitivity by either fixed -3 dB or +3 dB from 0 dB, and I already have a high quality attenuator in the path (SPL 2Control).

When tracking/mixing multitracks in DAW using -18 dbfs RMS track levels, Babyface can work fine for me with a moderate amount of TotalMix Main attenuation, but playback of any "loudness war" mastered tracks is incredibly loud. Maybe I should have bought something like HDSPe AIO instead; it's not portable like Babyface, but it offers different output voltage settings.

With the SPL Control in the signal path, I really don't see the problem... How far have you attenuated the analog signal?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME