Topic: HDSPe Madi with SSL AlphaLink Madi AX

Hello.

I have an issue with this set SSL Alphalink Madi AX hooked to an HDSPe MADI. I can't make the machine work together in 88.1 nor in 96kHz.

I know some users have the same setup, I would like to know what are there settings on both SSL & RME.

Thanks.

JM

Re: HDSPe Madi with SSL AlphaLink Madi AX

I have the same setup and found that I could not achieve stable clocking over MADI. I now have connected a Wordclock cable and everything is running fine.

Thank you Jezc, I always clock with WC. My problem isn't that simple I'm afraid. The SSL manual is very difficult to understand, and it's not only a langage problem ;-)

JM

AFAIK, Wordclock generally runs at 1x, so I believe you will need to investigate some of the "x2" wordclock settings on both sides.  I'm not really sure how RME handles signaling to know when to multiply the incoming clock x2 to get the "real" samplerate.  I have a similar setup, but stay at 44.1K...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

It's in the Alphalink menu, you need to enable 2FS

www.analoguemastering.com

Thanks Raphie & Randy,

The SSL virtual switches #5 & #6 are green, the HDSP settings show (when SSL fe=96k) AutoSync Ref Word=96k, System Clock=48k, Input Status=64ch, 48k frame, 48k optical. Madi & WC are in sync, clock mode is on AutoSync, pref clock =WC.

JM

7 (edited by Randyman... 2011-07-03 22:33:10)

Sounds like the SSL is sending and the RME is detecting correctly (AutoSync Ref Word=96k) - so I'm assuming the issue lies in the RME side at this point?  (Its reported WC fs doesn't match its reported system clock fs).

I'm not of any more help here as I stay at 44.1k 24/7...

Is Totalmix still showing 64 channels, or is it halving and showing 32 channels?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

The WC input range doesn't matter. You can clock 96 from 48 and vice versa. If the system clock is still on 48 then you  have two options: update to the latest drivers and set the correct sample rate, or start an ASIO DAW which will do the same.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, I apologize, I thought my card was up to date, it wasn't. So finally, it works ! The settingsd I use are 48k frame, 64/16 channels. Anyway, something is strange, the MADI input status show 64 channel (OK) 48k frame (OK) 48kHz(not OK ?).

JM

Why is that not ok? Have a look into the manual...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by Jean-Michel 2011-07-05 09:24:09)

I didn't wrote "not OK", but "not OK ?".

I had several looks at the manual, and the only explanation I found is that it's related to the S/Mux and the way MADI transmit the audio above 48kHz fs. So the soft show the Madi fs which is half the audio fs when above 48kHz. Am I right ? It's not so clear, in my humble opinion. That's why I asked for confirmation.

JM

You are totally right.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, it's a wonderful day !

JM