Topic: Noise burst when i stop recording.

I just upgraded the driver and firmware for my raydat card.  I use protools 9 with widows 7 64 bit.  Every time i hit spacebar to stop recording i get a bust of noise into the very end of the audio track.  I do not hear it when i stop recording, but if i play back the tracks it is at the very end and it is just a loud spike of audio.  This is a huge problem and almost blew my ns10's with 20 tracks of drums and all with a huge audio spike at the end. 

Any idea's why this just started happening with the driver update?

Re: Noise burst when i stop recording.

You are using ASIO with PT? At what sample rate? What other audio software is running at the same time? Windows default playback is set to what?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Does protools use anything other than asio?  Not sure how to even tell this and i thought it only used asio.  Fill me in on this if i'm wrong.

44.1, 24 bit

No other audio software is running besides protools.

Windows playback is set to: Speakers, Rme HDSPe RayDAT. 

There is no Adat 1-2 that i see on the windows playback, and i have my Monitors hooked up through a rosetta 800 converters and outputted from adat 1-2 on the Rosetta.  The setting i have plays music through windows media player though and through my rosetta and monitors.

Also just wanted to add I did not change anything besides the driver/firmware update.  Not sure if that helps at all.

5 (edited by Joshua Wickman 2011-07-01 23:25:24)

I'm running some test now.  Seems i get it with a buffer size of 64 and I do not when i use 1024.  I'm going to see at what buffer size it stops.  Also I tried turning off the windows default playback and put it to the stock computer output instead of the RayDAT.  I also turned off all windows sounds.  This did not change anything and still had the problem at hw buffer 64.  I will continue testing and post results when i'm done.

Please test at what buffer size it stops, and thanks for the details. We will check too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

All the way up to 512 i get this problem.  It does not happen at 512.

Can i roll back my driver if needed?  I'm mixing right now but i have a band starting in like 4 days and i can not have this problem while tracking.

Can i download the old driver and use that again if i have updated firmware?  Or do i need to firmware with a download as well?

I have a band coming in less that 24 from half way across the country to do a album and need to get this sorted out ASAP!

Which driver have you got now? If 3.24, you could try 3.085 without changing firmware.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yes 3.24

We tried to reproduce but couldn't. W7 64 with PT 9.02. No noise at the ends of the recordings. I would also expect others to have reported that before (lots of PT users here), so this seems a problem of your specific computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please test 3.085 and report back.

What is connected to the RD? Also reduce the size of the PT window so you can see the HDSP settings at the same time - does anything unusual happen there at the end of the recording?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm still at protools 9.0 with no updates.

Maybe i will try updating protools first.  Is the 3.085 driver capable of playing back windows media player and protools?  I like to jump back and forth some times and play music on my desktop with out having ot close protools.

Also do i need to delete the driver first i have now and then instal the 3.085?

No simultaneous operation with 3.085. You better update PT first...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I updated protools and the problem is still there.

I updated protools and the problem is still there.  Even tried rolling back driver to the 3.085 and still doing it.  The only other thing that changed was the flash update to 1.2 on my Raydat.  It was 1.1, i think before this flash update.

Is there some place to download v1.1 flash updater for my raydat so i can roll that back to that as well?

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ol … m_dspe.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME