Topic: Recording/monitoring in mono on inputs 5/6 or 7/8 on Fireface UC

I have two Avalon 737sp mic preamps going into my RME Fireface UC's inputs 5/6 b/c both are rack mounted and I'd prefer to keep the cables out of sight.  However, when I want to record say a bass or a mic out of just one of the Avalons (say the one going to Fireface input ch 5), I can only hear out of the left channel. 

Everything records fine, but monitoring just ch 5 in both hardware outputs 1/2 doesn't seem possible unless I click the mono button next to AN 1/2 in TotalMix.  Am I missing something here??  Seems like I should easily be able to monitor and record on inputs 5, 6, 7 or 8.  No?

Re: Recording/monitoring in mono on inputs 5/6 or 7/8 on Fireface UC

Did you turn off Stereo on the UC input *and* correct its PAN to 0? By default when you turn an input from Stereo to Mono the pan settings are hard left + right on the former stereo channels.

Yes I did click the wrench icon, click off stereo, then made AN5's pan be 0 (in the middle).  Is there something else I am missing?  It makes no sense to me why this wouldn't just work.

You did not click on your monitoring output (selected the desired submix) before fiddling with pan. The Matrix will tell you more.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah, ok...I will check into that when I get back home.  Thanks!