Topic: FireFace 400 not working after Pro Tools 9.0.3 update

Hi,
thought I'd update pro tools (wish I didn't do it). Everything was working fine. Installed the update on my new mac pro and now FF400 won't work anymore.
I did download the latest drivers recently released, noting changed.
Please help.

Re: FireFace 400 not working after Pro Tools 9.0.3 update

Works fine here on Macbook Pro 10.6.8. Does the FF400 not work at all (iTunes, etc.)?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks Jeff. System sees it and recognizes it well. Works with iTunes. Just Pro Tools won't work.
In the sense that, I press play and it will shortly try to play back. Then will stop immediately. No sound. Try to setup playback hardware, choose FF400, at times weird sounds and then crashes to desktop.

Just tried with my old MBox 2 Pro, everything works smoothly...

All I can think of is to check your Pro Tools Aggregate I/O setting in Audio/MIDI setup. If the FF400 works otherwise then this is a PT9 issue.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks very much Jeff. Anything in particular I should check in the aggregate settings?

Is the FF400 selected under the PT device?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yes, both in hardware and playback

Look in Audio/MIDI setup, Audio Devices. Click on Pro Tools Aggregate I/O in the left pane. In the right pane, check "Use" next to RME Fireface 400. Other devices should be deselected.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

ha! this may do the trick

But it didn't. Actually, when selecting the FF400, both the midi application and pro tools crash to desktop

I just notice that in the midi application, no specific item is showed for the FF400. It is only listed among one item, as a subitem, not as a major item itself (while the mbox 2 pro does). Could this be the "issue" at hand?
It is strange, since it plays back and it seems to be recognized by the system, but not in the audio/mid devices.

I reinstalled the latest drivers several times to no avail. Any suggestions? Maybe delete the driver files at once and reinstall? If so, how?

Thank you very much for your time.

Looking in the manual, found a way to delete everything about RME and did a clean RME reinstall.
At that point, protools would crash in startup.
Cleaned protools, reinstalled everything from scratch, won't work.
Will have to revert to using the older mbox. Which is a real pity, since the FF400 is way better.

Thanks for your help anyhow,
SD

Looking on Avid forums it would seem to be a OS issue, particularly, the latest 10.6.8

Fixed it.
Proceeded to downloading the COMBO version of the 10.6.8 update. Avid stated that Pro Tools version 9.0.3 "may not work" properly with the latest Apple OS X update (10.6.8). Recommendation was to use the combo update in lieu of the automatic update.
Once this was done, the crash to desktop was not happening anymore.
Still, ProTools was giving the "audio interface not setup properly" error.

Recommendation from Avid was to start PT by pressin key "n" at the PT splash screen, the proceeding to selecting the proper audio interface from the pop down window.

Done, fixed, works again.

Thank you for coming back to provide this info.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.