Topic: Babyface and MAC OSX Lion

Seeing as the new MAC OS will be available very shortly, if not tomorrow. I want to know, will my babyface and its drivers/software work on the new OS?

Thanks.

Re: Babyface and MAC OSX Lion

I'd love an answer for this please. Don't want to upgrade and then find that my Babyface no longer functions correctly. Many thanks for any reply.

We will test it some days when it's finally released.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for the reply...

...but tot really the answer I was hoping for. I want to know that the investment I put into your product was a good decision moving forward. That answer does not really give me a lot of confidence I'm afraid, and I'm honestly disappointed.

Lion is out any day now apparently, and as with most developers and hardware manufacturers, I thought you would have been prepared.

I love the Babyface, but now, I wish I had bought the Duet 2.

Whagi, if you want to be sure anything (not only RME stuff) works with any update you can never install anything within days of its release. You have to wait for the brave to test it. Even when running a Duet. And there have been very few first OSX releases by apple that didn´t break audio stuff (sometimes software, sometimes hardware drivers).
So either make a backup and try or wait (or take a gamble....)

Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I'll be installing Lion as soon as its released. So I will report back here any issues.

Good point, Vincent...

BTW, currently even Pro Tools does not seem to work with 10.7: http://www.airusersblog.com/home-page/2 … icial.html

If you BF works now, work with it the way it is, esp. if you rely on it financially, and test 10.7 when drivers become available. This is the best way to preserve your investment.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

8 (edited by Timur 2011-07-14 15:45:59)

Same here. Even better, I will keep a clone of Snow Leopard around for easy comparisons. wink

The golden master of Lion does no longer show some performance problems and errors that we saw earlier, so it seems Apple has fixed those.

Unfortunately they seem to have introduced a new bug: when changing the sample rate several things can happen:

- playback is garbled for several seconds
- the application hangs for several seconds
- a mixture of both

With programs like Logic, which needs several seconds to switch anyway, the error is not easily noticable. With iTunes it is.

This error also affects Apples own FireWire driver, so is not caused by our drivers. We have informed Apple and hope a fix will come soon.

This error is no showstopper, and if you switch sample rate not so often you most likely don't even notice it. Apart from this Lion seems to work ok with audio.

Personally I would not update my OS until this problem has been solved.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for that response. Given both Apples and your own spped at giving us great new drivers. I'm sure everything will be perfect within a few weeks of Lions release.

Guess we will find out sooner that we thought. Lion is out and available on the App store tomorrow (20th July)!!

Well I just bit the bullet and bought Lion, just finished installing it and it all seems to work fine.

First thing I noticed, is my iMac i7 now boots by default into a 64bit Kernel. Logic Studio works perfectly fine, as does my RME Babyface.

So all big sighs of relief from me.

The whole OS seems much quicker also, only played with it a little bit It seems a lot better.

I'm sure some third part plugins might have issues, but seeing as I dont have any, thats not a problem for me.

..will test it a lot more over the next few days.

By the way, just got an email from Apogee, saying:

"On the day Apple’s Mac OS X Lion is available for purchase in the App Store, Apogee is pleased to announce compatibility with this groundbreaking Mac OS update for these Apogee products:

Duet 2
GiO
JAM
ONE
Symphony I/O"

LOL yikes)

Babyface does not work under LION. The "Totalmix" and "USB Settings" icons are still jumping up and down and the audio card fails to start.

brunorock wrote:

Babyface does not work under LION. The "Totalmix" and "USB Settings" icons are still jumping up and down and the audio card fails to start.

All works perfectly fine on my system. I was really suprised.

Saying that, I'm sure the RME boys are on the ball with Lion drivers, especially when Apogee have announced their compatibility on day one. wink

Whagi wrote:

Saying that, I'm sure the RME boys are on the ball with Lion drivers, especially when Apogee have announced their compatibility on day one. wink

Are you working for Apogee? Here is their compatibity list... Drivers for the Ensemble are expected in September. So much for "day one"... Some of the above mentioned products only have Beta drivers at this time. Mind you, this is in no way intended as criticism of a respected competitor...

Also see this (german) list of audio software manufacturers actually advising against the use of Lion at this time...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

LOL Don't be silly. I got an email from them stating the above.

I love my babyface. But respect other brands also.

18 (edited by Whagi 2011-07-21 13:15:18)

Plus, as I mentioned above. If there are any issues with Lion and the Babyface Mines working great with Lion) or anyother products from your range, I'm sure you will do an awesome jobe on the drivers and firmware, as always.

Don't get so defensive. ;O)

Whagi wrote:

LOL Don't be silly. I got an email from them stating the above.
I love my babyface. But respect other brands also.

You did quote some devices for which there appear to be beta drivers, also according to the list. Other important devices, like Ensemble, will not be supported before September.

Not at all defensive. But considering the list of audio software that isn't Lion ready, what will you do with your "day one" drivers if you professionally rely on audio work? Nothing. So it's better to wait...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Come on, no one that works "professionally" with audio productions will change anything on his setup for the next six months at least, so i think there is no rush.

21 (edited by Whagi 2011-07-21 14:15:35)

As I said, it was an Email that was sent to me by them, if you dont believe me, I really do not care. Want a screenshot? LOL wink

All I'm concerned about, is my Babyface working to its full potential under Lion. I'm not a professional, but I have spent the money on your product, just the same.

Even though mine seems to be working fine under Lion, I am going to ask once more and extremely politely and maybe I will get a more professional and polite response. When do you think you will have new drivers that fully support Lion.

I have also asked similar questions in the Apple forum regarding the response above from one of your staff/moderators in regards to the rate switching issues.

Thank you.

Whagi wrote:

As I said, it was an Email that was sent to me by them, if you dont believe me, I really do not care. Want a screenshot? LOL wink

HeadScratch
The list of devices in that email quote is obviously not complete... No Duet, no Ensemble. So I fail to see your point here.

When do you think you will have new drivers that fully support Lion.

Sorry, can't specify an exact date. But it seems to be working fine on your system already, unless I misunderstood...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I give up.

Someone mentioned in another thread that he had to reinstall the driver of his RME HDSPe (I think it was, not sure) in order to make it working in Lion. Maybe you can just try the same?

I will check Lion with the BF, UC, FF400 and UFX as soon as I find time to do a clone installation and download the stuff. Then I'll report back.

Someone mentioned in another thread that he had to reinstall the driver of his RME HDSPe (I think it was, not sure) in order to make it working in Lion. Maybe you can just try the same?

done everything, reinstalled the driver, changed usb port, even on an second macbook the babyface still refuses to work. The only thing that happens is that the icons jumps up and down. But as stated above...this is not a problem for me. I can wait. :-)

Whagi wrote:

I give up.

Thank god!

27 (edited by Whagi 2011-07-21 18:44:45)

arctic wrote:
Whagi wrote:

I give up.

Thank god!

Maybe you do not want help and advice, but there are many that do. That's what a forum like this is for, is it not!?!

I appreciate all the help within this thread, even the not so friendly ones. I also hope that the ones having issues get them sorted out soon.

I bought a Duet, realised it was not quite what I wanted and took it back for a refund, with the intention of buying the Duet 2. Then I saw the Babyface, and choose that over the Duet 2, due to is better specs. I'm glad I did, as its an awesome product. One I just want to get the best out of with my setup and now Lion.

So again, I look forward to future updates, for me and others that may wish to us Lion.

I've just bought a fireface UC and I get it today. However I made an upgrade to osx lion yesterday and I'm unable to run the fireface sad Fireface settings is crashing and it is not recognized... It is my first RME product, I hope I'll be able to use it soon.

Have you tried reinstalling the latest driver?

Whagi, there will be updates, but it can not be top priority to updated drivers for a system that will currently not even run the most important DAW software programs... And developers do get holidays, too.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I downloaded the last drivers on the website indeed. I use Studio One Pro and it works well on OSX Lion... Why I did this upgrade ? ...

31 (edited by Whagi 2011-07-21 19:05:47)

RME Support wrote:

Have you tried reinstalling the latest driver?

Whagi, there will be updates, but it can not be top priority to updated drivers for a system that will currently not even run the most important DAW software programs... And developers do get holidays, too.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No problem mate. I fully understand. I just love your hardware, and I'm a little passionate about it, it just works with my setup and Logic Studio perfectly. I'm hoping to upgrade to one of your more studio rack based systems in the near future as I'm that impressed with the quality of the babyface. So I appreciate everything. Thanks.

I just want to add that the Babyface works without problems here on an iMac with Lion. Unfortunately a lot other programs cause problems.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

I just want to say that the Babyface works without problems here on an iMac with Lion. Unfortunately a lot other programs cause problems.

best regards
Knut

Yep, it works great, only issue was like stated above when I change sample rates. Not a big issue. Logic Studio seems to work great.

Only big issues are not RME related at all, mainly my Novation SL MKII keyboard, and Automap, Automap just does not work at all LOL

I just will feel more secure once the Lion drivers are done and installed. Thanks.

brunorock wrote:

Come on, no one that works "professionally" with audio productions will change anything on his setup for the next six months at least, so i think there is no rush.

Nail.......hit.........on.........head..
wink

drainaudio wrote:
brunorock wrote:

Nail.......hit.........on.........head..
wink

That's just common sense! If my job and income depended on a stable system, I would have never upgraded. I'm not a "professional", at least not yet haha. There are plenty of hobby studios about smile

Whagi wrote:

I'm not a "professional", at least not yet haha. There are plenty of hobby studios about smile

Really? - I'm truly surprised..
Please go & learn how to use the equipment you have to the best of your ability & to it's limit as opposed to waffling on about how Lion came out like yesterday & doesn't officially support your Babyface yet..
The sooner you do that & get realistic about how things work in the real world the sooner there will be a sliver of the tiniest chance that you might actually ever use your skills to make a living.

That is common sense..

And.....upgrading does not equal an unstable system if you know what you are doing, there is no such thing (in the world of computers & audio) as not having a work-around or in fact several at any time........100% simply does not exist.

To many personal digs and nasty comments in this forum for my liking. You don't seem to be able to ask questions or get polite replies.

Thanks to all those that did reply and help on this one. Look forward to many more hours of enjoyment with my current and future RME products.

38 (edited by lemonstre 2011-07-23 07:21:34)

I've tried Lion and there are some dropouts and clicks in simple playback (iTunes 10.4) if the CPU Load of the system gets higher.
Just my unprofessional findings smile

Firmware 184, Driver 1.59

Not shure if it's the babyface or software/system.

lemonstre wrote:

I've tried Lion and there are some dropouts and clicks in simple playback (iTunes 10.4) if the CPU Load of the system gets higher.
Just my unprofessional findings smile

Firmware 184, Driver 1.59

Not shure if it's the babyface or software/system.

I'm sure all will be sorted soon mate. Just have to wait. I'm really surprised it works as well as it does already with Lion.

Us "unprofessionals" have to stick together lol wink