Topic: Hyper-threading Yes or NO?

Hi, I have a question, please. Hyper-threading YES or NO?
I am using: Fireface UC, Cubase 6, Windows 7  32 bit,
laptop Lenovo ThinkPad  X201i   type 3323-1YG, processor Intel Core i3   390M,  disk SSD (flash) OCZ Agility 3,  60Giga. RAM 4 Giga.
Martin.

Re: Hyper-threading Yes or NO?

Depends on the software you are using, not on the interface.

Yep.  And even beyond that, it matter what VST/VSTi plug-ins you use in a given host!  Some of the DAW-Bench tests running Nuendo/Cubase show a clear improvement with HT=On (more total threads, but less "work" gets done per thread).  However, my own projects (which differ drastically from the DAW Bench stuff) seem to prefer HT=Off (more CPU power per thread, but less overall threads).  Kind of like the old "fast 3.33GHz dual core or slower 2.4GHz quad core" debates that die-hard Gamers had when C2Q's first came out :-)

Also, if you are into overclocking, HT=Off will lower temps and allow a higher resultant CPU clock.  For me, HT=Off is a no-brainer due to my specific use of my DAW and software as a whole.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you!
I used Cubase6 and Windows7 only.
My laptop is working like audio player. No VST, no EFX. Player Wav and Midi only.
Martin.

Not likely to make a major difference - just try it out...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

For simple player I would use single threade app. It should work with all comps from year 2000...:-)

In my case, after carrying out some tests I found I had more stable and better Asio performance by leaving HT off.

I am using W7 64bit with Cubase 6.