Topic: newbie installation problems

Hi,

I'm trying to get my brand new RME MADI PCI Express to work as a playback device. Until now I haven't been able to output anything..

Cables:
I have two 75ohm cables, three T pieces and three 75ohm terminators. I have one cable connected to the RME MADI-out port going into the MADI-in port of my DAC, both are physically terminated, I also have one WC cable on the WC-in on the RME card (terminated by enabling the switch) and one connected on the WC-out of my DAC (physically terminated). So the input led is displaying error which I believe to be correct? My clock source (DSP settings panel) is set to "Sync In", which I believe to be correct as well. My DAC also says it has an input carrier signal on both channels (stereo setup).

System details:
HDSPe Driver: 3.2.4.0
Chipset: Intel H67 Express PCH

I think the drivers & software are correctly installed, I have no exclamation marks or unknown devices. I also tried different PCIe slots, both to no avail.

I first wanted to get playback of a WAV file in DIGICheck, so I set my sample rate according to the 96kHz WAV file (on both the DAC and the DIGICheck settings panel) and I also set the source as "Playback", all to no avail, no sound and the playback progress bar will not progress..

Also; Simply clicking the "About Tab" in the Hammerfall DSP settings dialog causes the settings dialog to crash.

I do know I'm running the latest 28 revision firmware as pcie_fut.exe tells me so (this firmware was pre-installed, and I haven't updated it).

I've tried to supply you with as much information as possible and I hope you can help me further. I hope it's not a compatibility problem else I would have to return this newly bought machine asap.

Kind regards,
Alexander

Re: newbie installation problems

Hello Alexander,

I have one cable connected to the RME MADI-out port going into the MADI-in port of my DAC, both are physically terminated, I also have one WC cable on the WC-in on the RME card (terminated by enabling the switch) and one connected on the WC-out of my DAC (physically terminated).

What kind of DAC is this? Also, not sure I understand the WC connections - DAC WC out should connect to RME WC in. You should only terminate at the input of the RME card, and this can be done with an integrated switch on the daughter card. The MADI I/O should never have any termination load attached.

My clock source (DSP settings panel) is set to "Sync In", which I believe to be correct as well.

No, this should be Word Clock. Sync In is a special port on the card for internal connection between multiple HDSP cards.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you for your answer Jeff.

What kind of DAC is this?

a DAD AX24 with 2 x DA

Also, not sure I understand the WC connections - DAC WC out should connect to RME WC in. You should only terminate at the input of the RME card, and this can be done with an integrated switch on the daughter card.

Yes, this is exactly what I had from the beginning.

The MADI I/O should never have any termination load attached.

That I didn't know, I've removed both terminators and tried again, still to no avail.

No, this should be Word Clock. Sync In is a special port on the card for internal connection between multiple HDSP cards.

When I set the clock source to "Word Clock" it doesn't change the current setting; it still says: "current: Sync In".

I should always be able to access the "about" tab without crashing the DSP Settings panel right?

Here are my settings from both my DAC and the RME settings panel:

[img align=C]http://wichers.nu/forum_images/rme_dsp_settings_crash.jpg[/img]
[img align=C]http://wichers.nu/forum_images/dadman_2da_settings.jpg[/img]

Thanks again,
Alexander

Ok. I have the luxury of moving to another machine. and fyi. I've tested both 64 and 32 bit Windows 7 on the machine containing the "Intel H67 Express PCH", both not working..

More specifically it's this machine I'm talking about:
http://www.shuttle.eu/fileadmin/resourc … 67H7_e.pdf

Now I've installed the card on an older Vista machine with an older chipset and had sound using DIGICheck within 2 minutes. The WC setting is automatically set to Word and the About tab works as well, no crashes whatsoever.

Now where lies the fault? Is it RME compatibility or is it the Shuttle motherboard manufacturer?

I've also tried to disable all other peripherals in the bios but there is not much else I can do, it still doesn't work..

I've decided to return the Shuttle as I can still get a full refund.

Will the Intel DH61AG motherboard (H61 Express Chipset) work in combination with the RME MADI card?
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m … erview.htm