Topic: Problem With Fw 800 On My Fireface 800

Hi,
I Bought A Fireface 800 Some Months Ago. Still Now No Problem.
Today When I've Switched On My Ff 800 I Could Not Use Firewire 800 But Only Fw 400.
I've Tried To Change Cables But That Was Not The Problem.
Normally I Connect My Mac Book Pro To The Ff 800 Via Fw 800 And The Ff 800 To A External Hd Via Fw 800.
Now Only The Fw 400 Works.
Someone Can Help Me

Thank You And Excuse Me For My Bad English

Daniele

2 (edited by corbobilly 2011-07-04 12:12:59)

Re: Problem With Fw 800 On My Fireface 800

I think this is a problem with the chipset of a certain number of MacBookPro.
I read that the Agere chipset powering MacBook Pro had problems with RME . It is necessary that you are using a firewire controller card with a TI chipset or Lucent _

MacPro 2 X 2,66 Ghz with 12 Go RAM & Fireface800 X 2 _ Digital Performer 8.07 _ Kontakt 5 _

gaidaniele wrote:

Normally I Connect My Mac Book Pro To The Ff 800 Via Fw 800 And The Ff 800 To A External Hd Via Fw 800.
Now Only The Fw 400 Works.

What happens if you make the chain FF800 > HD > Computer?

If that doesn't work, then you probably have a problem with the FW800 port on your Fireface, and need to send it for service.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Same thing here -- very difficult because I have no internet in my sound studio and constantly need to relocate the big MacPro Tower in the main bldg to get online... anyway, long story short suddenly...  finally saw my FF800 again running under OS 10.6.8 when I switched to the 400 ports and updated drivers a few dozen times... however,when it was (finally) up and running a dialog alert told me I needed to run the FLASH updater --I did and presto FF800 has disappeared again sad HELP!!!

So glad I happened across this discussion, and the similar one on the apple site. I set up my FF800 on both a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. I have zero problems on the MacPro and am running the most recent updates Firmware 1.77 and Driver 2.93. However, on the MacBook, the unit only functions with Drivers up until 2.75. Any attempt at installing an updated driver beyond that and the FF800 will not register a signal or send one to the speakers. It is recognised on the computer and the computer recognises it and the physical unit itself is recieving a signal (as LED's suggest) but the GUI does not suggest same. Interestingly, I run it via FW800 on the MacBook and FW400 on the MacPro. Installing 2.75 Driver again and all is great again. Both computers are running the same OS and I am using the same audio software to test. Both Apple and RME tell me that they have no idea what the problem could be. After much research, I now believe it is indeed a MacBook Chipset issue, but am at a loss to explain why this occurs to some users in earlier versions of the driver than has happened to me. Nonetheless, I am happy to run with 2.75 (Can't really notice anything different with updated drivers anyhow.) By the way, it still runs beautifully on the MacPro via FW800, so it is not a port issue from the FF.

6 (edited by peteyTwang 2011-07-27 15:06:45)

Not sure...Maybe it's a hardware issue & my 800 port just failed? 
I'm running my FF800 thru the FW 400 port without problems now

did you tried the other FW800 port?

Yes and i tried it with several different FW800 cables...so I am reasonably sure it's the actual input JACK(s) that are failing... note unlike the other user AFAIK it was never an issue on my MacBookPro Laptop... but these days I'm running LOGIC in my studio on my desktop MacPro  --  MacPro 3,1 --  2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon... I am in Toronto, Canada and don't even know who/how/where I would get the hardware fixed... at the moment FW 400 is OK for me -- but I disconnected the DIGIMAX D-8 i had added on for extra PREs when I was working with bigger (more musicians) recording projects... these days i am doing one-at-a-time tracking so I'm not missing the extra PREs

peteyTwang wrote:

I am in Toronto, Canada and don't even know who/how/where I would get the hardware fixed

Your choices are Steve's Music, or sending it off to Synthax in Ohio.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36