Topic: USB recording media recommendation for UFX - pen drives etc.

I generally record from 10 -16 trks 24/48, Will most newer 8-16 GB flash drives work?  Any recommendations? thanks

Re: USB recording media recommendation for UFX - pen drives etc.

This seems interesting          Mushkin Enhanced Mulholland 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model MKNUFDMH16GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … llFullInfo

I'm going to try 2 of these, better warranty than the Mushkin, I'll report on my findings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820139424

I was able to record 12 tracks @ 24/96 with no problem with this stick. I tried the same with 24/192 and got 6 errors. It's close! If I dropped it down to 10 tracks, it would probably be fine. Seems like a good stick! I could probably do 24 tracks @ 24/48 with no problem.

5 (edited by neirbod 2011-06-06 19:18:43)

Great idea for a separate thread on successful USB sticks.  Now that the drivers and firmware seem stable these assessments will be useful.  May I suggest all tests be for at least one hour and span at least two files?  Consistent testing will make the results more meaningful.  Maybe this can become a sticky.

That Kingston Data Traveler stick you tested looks promising, better than the stick I have been testing (see below).  How many tracks at 24/44 can you record?

I have been testing the Mushkin Mulholland Enhanced flash drive (16 GB).  I ran many tests over the past couple of weeks and found that I can consistently  record up to 10 tracks at 24/44.1 for several hours with no errors.  HD speed bounces around a lot from around 20 to 40.  Recording at 96 or more than around 10 tracks results in errors.

Just recorded 30 tracks at 24/44 for 64 min. 8 wave files  0 errors between 35-40% Hd average max r/w time 250-300 with spikes over 600,

basssalad wrote:

Just recorded 30 tracks at 24/44 for 64 min. 8 wave files  0 errors between 35-40% Hd average max r/w time 250-300 with spikes over 600,

That is impressive!  Much better than the Muskin Mulholland, which gave me average R/W time of over 700.  I may need to get a couple of those Kingston sticks.  Thanks for sharing your results.

By the way, does SSD (SATAII) in enxternal drive enclosure work, like the way USB flash memory or hard drive, as long as it is formatted in FAT32? Did anybody test SSD?

Read here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11050

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Weird, UFX won't read my flash drives now? I recorded on them yesterday, Erased them and now I'm getting error message. Firmware 138 /total mix .94 /usb driver 981

What erase? What error message?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

After I tested the flash drive,I removed it from the UFX and moved the files to my computer. I then deleted the files on the flash drive.. I put the drive back into the UFX. I got the initializing message and then an FS error message.

Please try to reformat. Not sure what's going wrong here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It should be fat 32/4k cluster size/primary partition?  Can anyone recommend a program? thanks

It should be FAT 32 with 32 K cluster size. The programs were mentioned before:

Windows:
The OS format function can be used to format USB sticks. For bigger sizes Windows only presents NTFS as option. Then use HP USB Storage Disk Formatter 2.2.3 (Google) which will only format external USB sticks/drives. This one is most safe but limited to 256 GB (? have to check again), and it does not allow to set the cluster size. The bigger the cluster size the more quick the drive is initialized at the UFX. This becomes important when you use bigger external drives, 128 GB and up.

For biggest external drives I use guiformat, which formats everything, so be very careful, or your data and OS is lost quickly. It can format up to 2 TB.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. … format.htm

Mac:
Covered by fellow forum member Pal Svennevig before:
Have a look at my video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkzfOipSTPA
To see how you partition and format a true FAT32 partition from OSX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

On my never ending search for the perfect USB recording stick (drives a plenty, just stick...), that could handle the max of 34 channels at 96 kHz, I tested the latest german magazine winner 'WINKOM Pendrive USB 3.0 SLC 32 GB'. This is a very small stick using a new controller from Innostor, and has SLC RAM. With USB 3 this one transfers more than 100 MB both write and read - wow. Under USB 2 and at the UFX it shows a similar behaviour to other USB 3 sticks. After a short time (here about 1 minute) there is an interruption in writing, of more than 600 ms length (I saw up to 1.2 s in my tests). That makes the stick operate worse than my old Corsair Voyager GT. So while the stick is slim and super-quick on both USB 2 and 3, it is no winner on the UFX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I re-formatted both USB sticks using Guiformat with no luck. My older corsair stick works fine. For the price of 2/32 gig sticks I'm right in the realm of buying another HD.
   I'm looking for 7200 rpm 2.5 drive that doesn't need an additional usb slot for power. Any recommendations?

There is no need for 7200 rpm, at least not for the UFX. Current external drives will all do the job, and they should all operate on one USB connection.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel

Are you sure the sticks still work correctly? Or are they defective now?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My computer reads the disks , If I hit properties it says Fat 32 32k cluster size. My other corsair flash drive works so I doubt it's the UFX. One of the 2 drives wouldn't initialize from the beginning the other worked fine, until I erased it and tried to re-record.I tried re-formatting with no luck.  I ended up returning them. I'm going to go with an external drive.

I've tested a number of stick/HD's to achieve error free recording USB-recording 6 channels at 24/44.1.
All sticks/HDs were formatted with fat32formatter.

Here are my results of three tests on each of them:
1) "winsat disk -write -ran -ransize 4096 -drive <drive letter>" as admin on windows 7 32 Bit.
    This tells me the transfer rate for small block sizes, which is very important, in order to get not stucked at
    closing/opening files at the 2 GByte limit border

2) "winsat disk -write -ran -ransize 524288 -drive <drive letter>" as admin on windows 7 32 Bit.
    This gives me a hint of the overall speed of the HD/USB-Stick for large file sizes, i.e. if it's possible to write
    down my ~1MByte/s to the stick for 6x24/44.1.

3) running a 3h recording on the UFX whit 6 channels 24/44.1 and count the error rate

a) SandDisk Extreme III at vivance USB 2.0  Card Reader, 16GByte:
    0.04 MByte/s @ 4k
    2.39 MByte/s @ 512k
    FREE OF ERRORS

b) CnMemory airy, 16GByte:
    0.02 MByte/s @ 4k
    1.71 MByte/s @ 512k
    ERRORS, especially at 2GByte-Borders

c) WD WD5000MES-00 5309A, 500GByte:
    2.03 MByte/s @ 4k
    25.64 MByte/s @ 512k
    ERRORFREE

d) Samsung S1 Mini 120GByte, 120GByte:
    0.15 MByte/s@4k
    2.09 MByte/s@512k
    ERRORS, especially at 2GByte-Borders

e) ADATA N005 USB 3.0 32GByte (one of the last benchmark winners of germans c't magazine)
    2.08 MByte/s@4k
    24.59 MByte/s@512k
    ERRORFREE

so, I'm settled with number c)-HD and e)-USB-Stick and I will not buy any more equipment, which doesn't have at least 2 MByte/s at small file size (4k) and at least 20 MByte/s at large file sizes.

Udo

Why don't you test the ADATA N005 as it should be tested? 34 channels at 96 kHz in the UFX...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I repeated the test as suggested for the 34 channels 96kHz (I don't expect to ever use that).

The ADATA N005 doesn't work for this case - it shows a very similar behaviour as described for the WINCOM Pendrive:
it starts very well with 80 ms max read/write time and 80% HD.
After ~1min it changes behaviour to a slow mode: suddenly max read/write raises to above 550 msec and errors show up.
I suspect an overrun in a fast front cache or an internal organisation process within the stick.
The ADATA N005 doesn't restore anymore from this slow mode.

When channel number is decreased to 14, first sign's of recovering from this slow mode show up but there are still errors.

When channel number is decreased to 12 (still 96k), the ADATA N005 periodically falls back to this slow mode after ~1-2 min.
But there is a complete recovering from this slow mode every time.
UFX is able to handle that without errors - even at the 2GByte-Borders when closing/opening files.

So - the ADATA N005 has still 4x the resources available for my purpose (6x24x44.1), but indeed not enough for the full stream.
USB-Sticks seem to do strange things internally - I decided to stay rather with HD-drives.

Udo

25 (edited by paulaudio 2011-06-12 23:58:21)

Transcend Jet Flash 700 16GB USB 3.0:
Although this device is quite fast for general use, it does not perform well with the UFX.
It startet to show errors with 10 channels at 24/96; R/W-time is up to 1350ms!
(No errors detected so far with 8 channels)

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium U3 4GB USB 2.0:
0 errors with 26 channels at 24/96; R/W-time below 280ms; HD/USB load around 76%
(Test stopped after 8'58'', when the capacity of 3,75GB had been reached)
28 channels created 1 error.

Regards,
Andreas

Update June, 13:
SanDisk Cruzer Titanium U3 8GB USB 2.0:
no more than 10 channels at 24/96 without errors; R/W-time around 750ms with peaks over 1000ms; HD/USB load <50%

Interesting, that the two SanDisk Cruzer Titanium U3's with different capacities show very different behaviour and that the smaller one performs better on the UFX.

udr wrote:

I repeated the test as suggested for the 34 channels 96kHz (I don't expect to ever use that).

The ADATA N005 doesn't work for this case - it shows a very similar behaviour as described for the WINCOM Pendrive:
it starts very well with 80 ms max read/write time and 80% HD.
After ~1min it changes behaviour to a slow mode: suddenly max read/write raises to above 550 msec and errors show up.
I suspect an overrun in a fast front cache or an internal organisation process within the stick.
The ADATA N005 doesn't restore anymore from this slow mode.

Thanks a lot for that info! 12 channels at 96 = 24 channels at 48 = a shame for that stick. Most of my outdated USB 2 sticks easily do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

paulaudio wrote:

Transcend Jet Flash 700 16GB USB 3.0:
It startet to show errors with 10 channels at 24/96; R/W-time is up to 1350ms!

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium U3 4GB USB 2.0:
0 errors with 26 channels at 24/96; R/W-time below 280ms; HD/USB load around 76%

Thanks. Seems most USB 3 sticks at this time have the same internal problems and suffer from interrupted transfers. The Transcend is also available as 32 GByte version. Same write speed under USB 3 (only 20 MB/s), means it will have the same problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tested another two currently available USB sticks, by recording until the device was full or an error ocurred. (UFX SW Version 1.38)

Transcend JetFlash600 32GB USB 2.0:
at 24/96 only 8 channels were recorded without errors; R/W-time around 440 - 600ms; HD/USB load around 30%

Kingston DataTraveller R500 32 GB USB 2.0:
at 24/96 12 channels were recorded without errors; R/W-time around 200 - 400ms, HD/USB load around 40%
After the stick was full, I unplugged it and replugged it to the UFX.
FF-UFX Display says "initializing" for about 10 seconds, after that "Media/Device Error" is displayed.
Even after reformatting with HP USB Formatter or with windows built in format option (both FAT32) the stick will still not be accepted again by the FF-UFX.
The stick does not show any suspicious behaviour, when plugged into a computer.
Seems strange to me.

Regards
Andreas

We got this feedback already with a Patriot Rage XT. We just wonder if the 'one time use then no init' is limited to specific sticks. We'll check.

Also, please try to attach the stick up to 10 times just to see if it will work at least one time then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Also, please try to attach the stick up to 10 times just to see if it will work at least one time then.

I've tried it multiple times before and multiple times after reformatting the USB Stick. Suspected a bad electrical connection too; pressed the stick in different directions during the initializing process. Always the same repeatable error.

Andreas

That's exactly what happened to me! In my earlier post, I used 2 of the Kingston DataTraveler R500 16GB sticks. I returned them.

We seem to have found the reason for the problems with the Rage Patriot XT, and think the fix will make the Kingston work as well. A new firmware will be posted soon. Regarding the Rage Patriot XT: it's not worth the money. The stick pauses quite often for up to 800 ms, limiting the number of recordable channels to about 14 at 96 kHz. For a quad-channel-super-hi-speed stick quite disappointing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Bought three cheap USB drives today for a test... Conclusion first: Don't buy cheap stuff... DeadHorse rant

Here they are: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9590/usb1l.jpg
The first one comes with some kind of backup software. Write rates on my PC vary, sometimes up to 8 MB/s, sometimes they drop sharply. The UFX reports write times of up to 1.5 seconds (!). Needless to say, useless for recording. The thing cost € 17, and will be used in the car, copied days worth of music onto it... cool

The second one cost €10, and is very slow, write rates on my PC (Netbook) around 2 MB/sec :-O
Not much use, either... :roll The UFX reports write times around 500ms.
It does work for a 12 channel recording at 48k, though, mic inputs plus one ADAT. The fact that it is so small is nice, it is shorter than the encoders on the UFX.
[EDIT] No use - after some time, recording fails, write times increase beyond one second, disk use goes to 150%, errors count beyond 99... So no good... ed:

The third one is interesting inasmuch as it is a miniature cardreader that comes with a 16 GB Micro SDHC card... € 17 as well. I was wondering whether this might behave differently from regular USB drivers. Unfortunately, the thing is DOA. If I exchange it for a new one, I'll report back.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Firmware 139 that will make the Kingston and Patriot sticks work (see above) is now available for download:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_139.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac_139.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Firmware 139 that will make the Kingston and Patriot sticks work (see above) is now available for download:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_139.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac_139.zip

Hi Matthias,
There is a version mismatch in the fut_usb_win_139 file.
The readme says "351/139/340", but the application says ""345/139/338".
Thanks.

I uploaded a new version of the Win FUT. The firmwares included were ok, just the version display was not. Thanks!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Patriot stick is working perfect now.
Thanks Matthias smile

So is there a consensus about the "best" stick to buy? Looking to buy a 16 - 32 GB stick and would like to only have to make the purchase once!

pianogineer wrote:

So is there a consensus about the "best" stick to buy? Looking to buy a 16 - 32 GB stick and would like to only have to make the purchase once!

+1

Just wanted to share my experience. I bought this SDHC card (actually bought it for my camera, but decided to give it a whirl for the UFX), along with a cheap SDHC-USB reader stick (similar to this one, but it wasn't the exact same brand so I can't vouch for that particular one -- it was just some random $7.99 one at Fry's).

I didn't do any extensive long term testing or anything like that, but a quick test looks like I can record all input channels (38) at 48 kHz with no problem at all. I only ran it a few minutes so maybe I'd end up with some errors, but since my practical use will require less than 10 channels I didn't bother with anything more extensive.

The SDHC card is a class 10 card (got it for HD video so wanted fast performance for that application). Maybe the SD card is the way to go, as you know exactly the class you're getting. Plus, now I can use it for two purposes! Super stoked!

pianogineer wrote:

I didn't do any extensive long term testing or anything like that, but a quick test looks like I can record all input channels (38) at 48 kHz with no problem at all. I only ran it a few minutes so maybe I'd end up with some errors, but since my practical use will require less than 10 channels I didn't bother with anything more extensive.

That is a very promising idea.  For those of us who are looking for a solution at higher track counts, can I ask that you run some longer tests with all channels and report back your results?  I for one would very much appreciate it as I'd like to record > 20 tracks sometimes but can't seem to get more than 12 tracks consistently error free with my Muskin Mullholland USB stick.

Thanks,

David

neirbod wrote:
pianogineer wrote:

That is a very promising idea.  For those of us who are looking for a solution at higher track counts, can I ask that you run some longer tests with all channels and report back your results?  I for one would very much appreciate it as I'd like to record > 20 tracks sometimes but can't seem to get more than 12 tracks consistently error free with my Muskin Mullholland USB stick.

Thanks,

David

Sure thing. Just a quick scan through this topic makes it look like 34 channels @ 96 kHz error-free is kinda the "holy-grail"? Just trying to understand before doing my test... it seems like you can conceivably record a lot more than 34 channels, given all of the input/output channels that have the record enable button? Again I haven't played with high track counts too much... but what is the standard combination of record channels to get to 34 @ 96 kHz?

I'll try to run a test tonight and report back...

Good question about 34 channels at 96 kHz.  I had to look closely at the manual to understand this myself.  Even though the UFX has 22 ins and 22 outs available at 96, USB recording is limited to 34 channels. I don't think it matters for testing purposes which channels you chose.   

Thanks,

David

neirbod wrote:
pianogineer wrote:

Thanks,

David

Ok, so a few more details:

96 kHz:
34 channels - ~85%, 6 errors in first minute
32 channels - ~80%, ~2 errors per minute for first couple minutes
30 channels - ~75%, 1 error at startup, no additional errors over next 5 minutes, but then a burst of about 5 errors right around minute 5
28 channels - ~70%, 1 error at startup, didn't test for long
26 channels - ~65%, no startup errors (reliably), 2 errors (blast!) over 10 minutes
24 channels - ~61%, 1 error around minute 11
22 channels - ~56%, no errors over 15 minutes

A quick spot check of 48 kHz looks like you'd expect... similar performance but with double the channel count (44 channels was ~55% loaded).

Hopefully this info helps! For the $30 total I spent on the card and reader, I'd say I'm pretty stoked!

45 (edited by Maikoru 2011-08-18 12:36:55)

basssalad wrote:

After I tested the flash drive,I removed it from the UFX and moved the files to my computer. I then deleted the files on the flash drive.. I put the drive back into the UFX. I got the initializing message and then an FS error message.

I experienced a similar thing:
Insert SanDisk Cruiser Blade 8GB into MacBook Pro USB
Open Disk Utility OSX 10.5.8
Erase/reformat to Fat32 (displays as single partition, as expected)
Eject and insert into UFX: FS Error
Remove and re-insert: FS Error
Repeat: FS Error
Reformat to same spec: FS Error
Reboot MacBook Pro as Windows...
Format drive to Fat32 - note that it would only go to a maximum of 200MB
Eject and insert into UFX: displays correctly at 200MB
Reboot MacBook Pro as OSX 10.5.8...
Open Disk Utility: drive displays as double partition (both FAT32). One is from the first format, the other is the 200MB PC format.
Erase/reformat to Fat32 (now displays as a single partition again)
Eject and insert into UFX: displays correctly with the full storage available.

Of course, now I can't repeat the fault.

And FYI (I know this isn't the benchmark standard - but I'm not going to do a long test on such a low spec drive) the SanDisk was error free over two minutes at 18 channels 48k (at 20 tracks it clocked an error every 30secs or so). It reported fairly regular delay spikes up to around 750ms, and sat up around 500ms a lot of the time. The drive is cheap as chips, so I was astonished it even managed that!

Regards,
Michael

pianogineer wrote:

Ok, so a few more details:

96 kHz:
34 channels - ~85%, 6 errors in first minute
32 channels - ~80%, ~2 errors per minute for first couple minutes
30 channels - ~75%, 1 error at startup, no additional errors over next 5 minutes, but then a burst of about 5 errors right around minute 5
28 channels - ~70%, 1 error at startup, didn't test for long
26 channels - ~65%, no startup errors (reliably), 2 errors (blast!) over 10 minutes
24 channels - ~61%, 1 error around minute 11
22 channels - ~56%, no errors over 15 minutes

A quick spot check of 48 kHz looks like you'd expect... similar performance but with double the channel count (44 channels was ~55% loaded).

Hopefully this info helps! For the $30 total I spent on the card and reader, I'd say I'm pretty stoked!

I suppose it was too much to hope that this system could handle all 34 channels at 96, but these are still great results! This seems more than capable of handling all 34 channels at 44.1, which is what I typically use anyway.  Thanks for taking the time to run the tests and post your results.

Cheers,

David

I know this is a "USB flash drive" thread, but I experienced several errors and drops with cheap flash drives, but no errors whatsoever with my 6 years old 100GB portable HD. Channel count was ~20, though. If you have some troubles with flash drives, you can try HD instead, which could solve the problems.

48 (edited by hqmusic 2011-08-25 12:07:38)

MC wrote:

On my never ending search for the perfect USB recording stick (drives a plenty, just stick...), that could handle the max of 34 channels at 96 kHz,
The old Corsair Voyager GT 4 GB can record 56 channels at 48 kHz, write time around 120 ms (bravo!).

Hi Matthias, hi UFX users,

have you found a better and bigger or even the perfect USB stick inbetween?
I'm searching for a USB stick 16 GB or bigger that can handle at least 20 tracks@96 kHz errorfree for long term recordings,
without any dangerous timing spikes even at the 2GB borders etc.

What about the Corsair Voyager 16 GB for example?
Any other recommendations for STICKS matching my requirements?

As to portable USB HDDs: Has anyone tested the Samsung G2, e.g. the G2 portable 640 GB HX-MU064DC? It contains a Samsung HM641JX 2.5" SATA HDD running @5400 rpm. Any issues with write time spikes or other errors?

Volker

Can't speak for this one specifically, but I doubt there will be any problems with USB disk drives. I would personally tend to prefer these over pen drives, but that's just my private opinion...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

hqmusic wrote:

I'm searching for a USB stick 16 GB or bigger that can handle at least 20 tracks@96 kHz errorfree for long term recordings,
without any dangerous timing spikes even at the 2GB borders etc.
Volker

I'd say forget the stick and run with a small usb drive, like a G-Drive mini or LaCie Rugged...

If you want reliable data transfer, that seems to be the way to go. Harder to lose too!