Topic: UFX Europe vs. USA price

Hi,

I noticed that UFX street prices are around 1800-2000EUR in Europe while around $2100 in USA - which is around 1500EUR.

How is this possible since RME is from Europe?

As far as i remember, whatever USA product i bought in Europe, i had to pay quite a few extra $$$.

Why is the other way around regarding UFX?

Regards,

b.

https://granurise.com

Re: UFX Europe vs. USA price

Tell me about it HeadScratch
Fortunately I head to the USA on Sat & will collect a couple of UFX's while out there - the price difference is quite surprising..

Vat?!

4 (edited by drainaudio 2011-07-28 23:30:45)

Timur wrote:

Vat?!

Is something that people who work in the music biz and aren't VAT registered get to pay.....on equipment related to their profession..
And clearly the very nice "no sales tax on shipped out-of-state items" is a help.
All legit - I have a very expensive accountant who showed me many years ago the best ways to spend my money.

Next question? :roll

5 (edited by Whagi 2011-07-28 23:32:04)

Europe and in particular the UK always get screwed on prices. lol wink

6 (edited by Timur 2011-07-29 01:54:26)

That wasn't what I meant. The UFX is listed in EUR "including VAT" in Europe. For example, Sweetwater is listing the UFX for $2099 *before* tax!

The cheapest price you can find an UFX in Germany is 1755 EUR incl. VAT (special discount until end of July in one online shop), that's around 1475 EUR before tax. Regular prices start at 1890, which is 1588 EUR before tax.

So the difference isn't half as big as it seems.

Well, i am not 100% sure but,

while reading GS posts, several ppl grabbed UFX for $2100, so i guess it's street price. Also, if i go to ebay and hit "buy now" from USA power sellers (which are selling new devices) the final price is $2100 + free shipping...

I am pretty sure mr. drainaudio will get both for $4200 or less. Please let us know drainaudio.

Can someone from RME chime in?

Cheers,

b.

https://granurise.com

Drainaudio will have problems later because the local distributor supports only units sold from him, not from a different country (=distributor). That topic comes up here regularly, so should be known.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Drainaudio will have problems later because the local distributor supports only units sold from him, not from a different country (=distributor). That topic comes up here regularly, so should be known.

MC - I love your dry, often sarcastic German wit but it's a pretty bold statement to suggest (professional/recording artist/concert touring) RME users can only get support from the local distributor where the product was purchased when the pure nature of their day-to-day business means working & purchasing globally..........I'd go so far to say it's a pointless & unfounded comment.......unless of course you're aiming to alienate the prime market you are supposed to be catering for?
:roll

Timur wrote:

It is actually - as the UFX is available in the USA for around $1950 with free shipping & if shipped out-of-state then no sales tax applies.
This exists across the board in the USA & I've really noticed in times that I've lived & worked there......everything is much cheaper & the country is very geared towards mass consumerism & buy-now-pay-later 0% etc as a result..
Why should for example a BMW cost less to buy in the USA?? ----- it's just nuts.....

They don't call it rip-off-Britain for nothing either & anything here that is imported is taxed very heavily even to the point that if you buy something online - lets say a custom guitar strap for example (from the USA) Inland Revenue & Customs will not only charge an administration fee of around £14.00 just for allowing the item into the country but on most occassions they will (accidentally) calculate the VAT at several % above what it should be - you can of course get it back if you lodge a complaint.....but who has the time to chase £5.....times that by 2,000,000 uncontested transactions however & they have a nice little earner..

In any other field of business it would be considered "fraud".....but it's the government so I guess the rules for us mere mortals don't apply..:censored

drainaudio wrote:
Timur wrote:

It is actually - as the UFX is available in the USA for around $1950 with free shipping & if shipped out-of-state then no sales tax applies.

This is incorrect. Not only does sales tax apply the very moment you receive the unit in Europe (you pay tax to your *own* country), but you also might have to pay customs (don't know how the UFX is categorized). So when I order a unit from the USA it will cost additional shipping (between 40 to 100 EUR to Germany), but also an additional 19% VAT on *both* the unit's price *and* the shipping costs.

Professional users (as in make a living) may calculate back and forth though, because they don't have to pay VAT (or rather get it back, which can happen at the same time). But I don't see how $1950 = 1357 EUR before taxes but with *additional* shipping would be so much less compared to 1588 EUR (1474 EUR currently) before taxes with free shipping.

By the way, it's quite common to adjust prices to the market. Food is a *lot* more expensive in France compared to Germany, which includes food that is produced in France (Danone anyone?).

I did buy software/licenses several times from abroad though, because you can really safe a penny there (no shipping involved).

drainaudio wrote:

MC - I love your dry, often sarcastic German wit but it's a pretty bold statement to suggest (professional/recording artist/concert touring) RME users can only get support from the local distributor where the product was purchased

Obviously I was not talking about 'concert touring', but people who just buy in a different country than they are located and - usually - work in. Some (not all) distributors have a strict agenda for such cases...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

First of all... Different countries, different markets, different competition, different this and that.. -> diferent prices. Not unusual.

drainaudio wrote:

MC - I love your dry, often sarcastic German wit but it's a pretty bold statement to suggest (professional/recording artist/concert touring) RME users can only get support from the local distributor where the product was purchased when the pure nature of their day-to-day business means working & purchasing globally..........I'd go so far to say it's a pointless & unfounded comment.......unless of course you're aiming to alienate the prime market you are supposed to be catering for?
:roll

It is not at all unfounded and certainly not a humorous "suggestion" - it is a fact. We are not a global company with our own branches all over the world, there is no "RME de France" or "RME do Brasil"... Not unlike many other companies, we work together with and depend on local distributors, who are independent commecial enterprises, and in most case do not even deal with RME gear exclusively. They will provide warranty services for gear that was sold through their channels, but will refuse to service gear purchased abroad. As an example, sometimes customers in Japan will purchase in the US to save a few dollars. Our japanese distributor will not provide (warranty) services for these units, which created no turnover for them whatsoever. Also, sending things back to Germany could cause all kind of bureaucratic customs issues for them with gear that was not originally imported to Japan (and does not fulfil special local electrical safety regulations). That said, if a user buys a piece of gear and then actually moves to another country, local distributors may be willing to help, but at their discretion.

Concerning "global day-to-day business"... Sounds sophisticated, but even while a limited number of users may be travelling globally with their RME (or other) gear, in case of hardware issues, their contact for repairs will still be their retailer or local distributor. It would not even help if a distributor elsewhere were to accept gear for repair. If something breaks in the middle of a tour or trip abroad, then in the (unlikely) event of the lack of a backup solution, some kind of rental gear will be required - not repair, which would likely take too long.

I actually see no reason why "the pure nature of (RME users') day-to-day business means (...) purchasing globally", I must say. Local retailers and distributors are there for a reason, to provide the best and fastest possible warranty services. Therefore, our general recommendation is to purchase locally. I am sure that as a studio owner (just assuming) you would also appreciate if local artists were to  make use of your services rather than travel to neighbouring towns, would you not? Nothing wrong with thinking and working globally - buying locally still has undeniable advantages.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

14 (edited by drainaudio 2011-07-29 20:52:12)

RME Support wrote:

I am sure that as a studio owner (just assuming) you would also appreciate if local artists were to  make use of your services rather than travel to neighbouring towns, would you not? Nothing wrong with thinking and working globally - buying locally still has undeniable advantages.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel - I'm going to email you rather than discuss this on the forum - your "keep it local" concept is interesting, & clearly shouldn't/can't/doesn't particularly apply in the case of international touring acts.

I have been involved with MOTU for many years & they do not have any issues whatsoever in supporting their high-end users....anywhere on the planet.....it would certainly be a shame if their level of support isn't something you at RME feel the need to provide.

It is also a shame they dont make better sounding interfaces..

MC - thanks for your last post, it is reassuring..

See MC's comment above.... This discussion seems fairly academic to me, and apart from that, I'm perfectly sure Motu will encourage supporting local retailers and thus distributors, e.g. Klemm in Germany. Else, they could reduce their business to selling all gear directly and over the internet only...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It's especially academic since prices ain't that much different. USA vs. GB vs. FR vs. GER, all within 100 EUR or less to each other. USA *is* cheapest, but not anymore once you pay for shipping (and maybe even customs).

17 (edited by drainaudio 2011-07-29 23:18:57)

Ok, I think this discussion has gone way off track HeadScratch - I never intended it to go down the "lets take a holiday & get some black market RME gear" & I think posters such as Timur are totally missing the point/jumping to conclusions in being unable to understand the circumstances that some users are in when it comes to this gear. (no offence btw).

Yes many (maybe the largest percentage of) users will buy local, use local etc & as such supporting local distributors is an important thing - the one here in London is very nice indeed.

There are however some of us who will buy, use, transport & store RME gear & possibly several vs. of the same set-up in different countries/markets because of the work we do..

Back to the OT on price difference between the US & EU market ----- it is hugely different (& surprisingly so) - it is possible to purchase a UFX for under $1800, with no sales tax & free shipping.....at those sort of prices it actually works out more viable to purchase units in the US & then leave them there picking them up again on the next tour vs. shipping units back & forth from from the UK.
---- £1699.00 vs. £1065.00!! That is a very substantial difference indeed, especially when you are being paid in £'s regardless of where the work happened.

The £1699.00 includes 20% VAT, doesn't it?

Timur wrote:

The £1699.00 includes 20% VAT, doesn't it?

Ok, sorry, I stand corrected, given that the VAT will be claimed back that's £1359.00 vs. £1065.00 which is still a lot....

Maybe not on 1 unit, you might say, but what if I require 6 or 8?
Totally possible, I'm dealing with a rig at the moment that uses 5 MOTU Ultralites among other things ----- the best build ever was 12 Pod Pro XT's, 8 828MKII's, 8 Yamaha Motif Es, 8 Glyph Drives & tons of other bits over an A & B system (took a day just to unpack)........few £'s here, few there it can all add up very quickly ----- esp' at a time when budgets are very tight..

You are wildly throwing numbers around. The regular Internet price in the US is 2099 USD = 1290 GBP. The regular price in the UK is 1360 GBP. You can always find better offers in all countries, especially when you buy 8 units at once (better make that 9 to have one spare). I already gave an example of a discount in Germany where you get it for 1290 GBP.

But yes, electronics are more expensive over here in Europe, but in return *most* of us have health insurance. HeadScratch tongue

Timur - you like a good debate I guess......need to get the last word in & all that rant

I'm not wildly throwing numbers around, it's fairly simple math based on prices I've been offered & buyng more than 1 of something is normal for me so why would I be considering the outcome based on what I won't do ----- it seems you're coming from a completely different angle to me & that's fine but then it does make your points aimed in my direction not particularly relevant.

Yes we mostly have "health care" in Europe - that has nothing however to do with the relative cost of retail products.

drainaudio wrote:

Timur - you like a good debate I guess......need to get the last word in & all that rant

Having said that, you go on to have the last word for yourself... rotfl

No offence intended, but I think this debate is over now... Move on, nothing to see here... journey

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME