Topic: How to set correctly multiface & ADI 8 Pro ?

Hi,

I am happy using multiface an adat converter ADI 8 Pro. Anyway i am not sure making good choice about sync and option. In fact many ways to do it seem work properly.Sometimes i can see Synccheck going from Sync to Lock ??
i've heard it's better do not use Wordclock in that case.
What is the best way to proceed ? Putting ADI in clock internal or input ?, multiface in autosynck or master ? Pref sync ref in adat IN?? What happen adding an spdif input ??
Thanks for ur replies cause i want to be sure

2 (edited by Randyman... 2008-10-26 04:41:44)

Re: How to set correctly multiface & ADI 8 Pro ?

I'd use the ADI-8 as the Master.  Either set the Multiface to Autosync (ADAT1 as Preferred Sync Source), or use a BNC cable from ADI-8 OUT to Multiface IN (terminate properly of course wink ) and sync the Multiface to Wordclock.  Either way should work practically identically.

If this is how you are currently configured, check your cabling, and also see if you might have any A/C power fluctuations (like Air Conditioners or Refrigerators turning on/off) as this can also cause sync instabilities.  Also keep in mind the ADI-8 Pro DOES NOT retain its settings when powered off - if you have been slaving your ADI-8 to the Multiface, then these ADI-8 clock settings are likely defaulting back to Internal Clock when you power off and power back on.  I'm not sure if ALL ADI-8 Pro's do this, but I know both of mine do.  I think this changed with the ADI-8 DS.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by Zapp 2008-10-27 11:00:49)

Randyman... wrote:

I'm not sure if ALL ADI-8 Pro's do this, but I know both of mine do.  I think this changed with the ADI-8 DS.

cool

My ADI-8 Pro retain the settings, also my ADI-8 AE...:cool:

regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Lucky you!  I could have sworn MC told me that all ADI-8 Pros did this.  I guess it is only my pair sad  (one is a Nuendo 8 I/O and one is a ADI-8 Pro)

I have to set my Master/Slave and I/O Reference levels all the time sad

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Somewhere in this forum I explained that the later Pros also remember their state because they use the same mainboard as the DS then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Randyman... wrote:

I'd use the ADI-8 as the Master.  Either set the Multiface to Autosync (ADAT1 as Preferred Sync Source), or use a BNC cable from ADI-8 OUT to Multiface IN (terminate properly of course wink ) and sync the Multiface to Wordclock. 
cool

Hi!

It seems logical, since the clock of the ADI-8 is better.

But, I'd like to be sure it's the best way to set MF and ADI-8, cos' in the Multiface user guide it's written that when clock is external, jitter of the MF is a lot higher...

In both case, it's a compromise? What's the best?

Thanks.

Wow - 3 Year Old thread bump! rotfl

It will be a compromise either way - so why not make the "better" converter the "Master" (the ADI-8 Pro) so it can shine to the best of its abilities, and let the Multiface cope the best it can?  I generally make the "best" converter the master and sync everything else to it.

Newer RME gear has Steadyclock re-clocking circuitry and is highly immune to external clocking jitter, but neither the ADI-8 Pro nor the Multiface have this technology.

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX