1 (edited by Rairun 2011-08-04 16:52:11)

Topic: An interface for a long distance

Hi,
I have Emu 1616M PCI soundcard in my home studio. Since EMU has awful driver support, I've decided to move to RME. The problem is:
My PC case is in another room (i hate those fan noises!) and 1616M PCI connects to Micro Dock via a cat5 cable. The original Cat5 cable is 3m, I've switched to a 8m cable without a problem.
I guess such long firewire cables would cause me problems. Besides I'm not a fan of USB and Firewire interfaces. RME has so many models that i get lost between them. I'm just looking for a decent (but not very expensive) PCI audio interface that can be connected to the preamps etc. on my desk. (Again, distance from the PC case to my desk is 8m.) What are my choices?
Thank you.

Re: An interface for a long distance

I believe a Multiface/Digiface would squeak by with that 8m distance (can't say for sure, but I believe I've used them with a 15' cable or approx 5m).  ADAT optical should also be capable of running 8m (Have a few 25' runs of ADAT optical myself).

Lastly, MADI is the most robust for long distance runs, but costs a pretty penny...

Honestly, running 8m balanced line level cables from the Preamp outputs to the Soundcard inputs is not an issue in the slightest.  Where are your monitor speakers located?  If they are close to the PC, I'd leave the interface close to the PC and run balanced cables from the Preamps to the PC area...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by Rairun 2011-08-05 08:48:05)

Thanks for the input. Here you can see what is where: (Cables go out from the back door of my room to another room.)
http://torecagli.com/HiQ%20son0040.jpg
http://torecagli.com/CIMG0481.jpg

I'm considering UFX, especially because it has a volume knob. If i leave it close to PC i can't reach it.:-)

USB and FW can both be used with a repeater cable or hub in between (I'm using about 10m FW with a Lindy repeater cable myself here). UFX offers both (USB is preferable), but you wrote that you don't like USB/FW?!

Difficult to answer since you only specify preamps etc. How many inputs and outputs do you need and of what type? Line, adat spdif?
On the emu drivers, only if you need real low latency (from 128 samples and lower) you will get a real difference in performance. If you can work with the 6ms or higher setting of the emu, you will net get a much better performance. I had a 1212m.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Timur wrote:

USB and FW can both be used with a repeater cable or hub in between (I'm using about 10m FW with a Lindy repeater cable myself here). UFX offers both (USB is preferable), but you wrote that you don't like USB/FW?!

Do you use 10m Lindy FW cable only, or do you use it as addition to an existing FW cable? Why USB is preferable? If there isn't much difference between FW/USB and PCI, it doesn't matter for me.

vinark wrote:

Difficult to answer since you only specify preamps etc. How many inputs and outputs do you need and of what type? Line, adat spdif?
On the emu drivers, only if you need real low latency (from 128 samples and lower) you will get a real difference in performance. If you can work with the 6ms or higher setting of the emu, you will net get a much better performance. I had a 1212m.

I need a pair of balanced monitor out, at least two mic/hi-z inputs, S/PDIF out for my AV Receiver, headphone out, a few line ins and midi in. Since RME doesn't support AC3/DTS passthrough, stereo 1/8" speaker outputs would be nice for configuring a 5.1 system (via AV Receiver).
I know my E6600 cpu is old enough not to handle very low latencies. Right now i can't use latencies lower than 16ms for most of my Cubase projects. Upgrading to Sandy Brdige and an RME interface would give me much more power, i suppose...

Rairun wrote:

My PC case is in another room (i hate those fan noises!) .... What are my choices?

Have you considered approaching the matter from this side...? Fast computers don't have to be noisy. My i7 870 is silent... I sometimes hear the CPU fan, but that is just because I installed the supplied Intel fan. Will change to a quiet one soon, and then the PC should be inaudible even when the CPU is busy...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm considering UFX, especially because it has a volume knob. If i leave it close to PC i can't reach it.

There is a remote control with 5 m cable for the UFX.

best regards
Knut

I use 5m + 5m Lindy. USB is preferable on the UFX because you need USB for flashing new firmware (and works great anyway).

RME Support wrote:
Rairun wrote:

My PC case is in another room (i hate those fan noises!) .... What are my choices?

Have you considered approaching the matter from this side...? Fast computers don't have to be noisy. My i7 870 is silent... I sometimes hear the CPU fan, but that is just because I installed the supplied Intel fan. Will change to a quiet one soon, and then the PC should be inaudible even when the CPU is busy...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

CPU fan is not the only source of noise. I have four hard drives inside the case (and will have a few more), and more fans at the front, side and back of the case. And all fans, even the quality ones, start to make noise in time. If the case is in another room, i can let the fans rotate at full speed for better cooling with zero noise.
Anyway, if i use two good quality, powered usb hubs between two 4m usb cables, i think it'll be OK.