Topic: Simple sync issue

Hello,

I am trying to use an HDSPe MADI card with an HDSP MADI card.  Is it as simple as just plugging the card in?  Are there any connections between the two cards internally to connect?  Does the software take care of things for me or are there certain settings in I need to look out for. 

I had been using just the HDSPe MADI card by itself and all has been great.  I just updated the driver to the latest and think I updated the firmware too. ( it said success)

What do I need to look out for?

Re: Simple sync issue

Physical sync is required, e.g. by Word Clock. If the cards receive synced MADI signals (e.g. from an external device acting as master), no connection between the cards is needed.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Tried to test it out today.

I have a Euphonix 24ch A/D MADI converter and two Euphonix D/A MADI converters.  I want to be able to record 24 tracks at a time and playback 48.  So far I have only been able to do 24 in and out.  My RME cards are the HDSPe MADI and I just installed an HDSP MADI card. When I did this i updated everything for both cards and right now I am getting intermittent distortion, every 3 to 5 minutes, for less than a minute and it seems to go away.  I seems I can get rid of the distortion when I disable the HDSP MADI card.  I have the word clock signal being sent from the Euphonix A/D converter word clock out to the word clock in on the HDSPe card.  I have tried to send word clock out of the HDSPe cards word clock out to the word clock in on the HDSP.  This had no effect.  It seems the driver that I updated to has changed the options available to the user also.  I can no longer see anything about slave/master.  I guess this is no longer important? Autosync is gone?

Does it matter if I only use a MADI output and not a MADI input of one the HDSP cards?  Does the word clock output not send the input it recieves?  Sending MADI sync signals will not work for both cards, I only have one A/D unit feeding one card.  It also has only one word clock out to send to only one card.  Do I have to get a word clock distributor, or could I split the word clock signal to multiple units?

Is there a guide or manual for installing multiple cards?

anybody?

Nick Morris wrote:

It seems the driver that I updated to has changed the options available to the user also.  I can no longer see anything about slave/master.  I guess this is no longer important? Autosync is gone?

No, but somewhat simplified. Choose "Internal" for master, or the digital input to use for autosync. In this case clock should be set to word clock for both cards.

Does it matter if I only use a MADI output and not a MADI input of one the HDSP cards?

No.

Does the word clock output not send the input it recieves?

It does.

Can you upload screenshots of the settings panels for each card and link them here? Can you test the PCI MADI card alone to see if the problem is still happening in this configuration?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ok, that clears some things up.  Internal is master?!@$!@?  That seems like a really odd way of saying master.  I cannot choose wordclock for both cards as suggested.  It is stuck on internal no matter what I choose for MADI 1.  MADI 2 I can choose wordclock for no problem.  Alone the cards work as described.... 

I have just tried a few more things, rolling back to last years driver I was able to set MADI 1 to MADI sync and master with MADI 2 as wordclock sync and slave.  I then moved to the current driver and it kept the layout which has been working for me all day long.  By the way, MADI 1 is the PCI HDSP and MADI 2 is the HDSPe PCIe card.  Still perplexed by the behavior.