Topic: 9632 - AES/EBU - how exactly?

Hi!

I'm a proud new owner of a 9632 and want to try to connect an ADI-2 using AES/EBU.
I've ordered the additional digital breakout cable BO968.
Now the manual says on page 9 that for AES/EBU an adapter is necessary that connects only pin 2 and 3 to a cinch plug.
That sounds somewhat familiar to me since so far I only know AES/EBU through XLR connections.
But on the other hand: what are the female digital cinch connectors of the BO968 good for if I need an additional XLR->cinch adapter for AES/EBU?

To cut a long story short: does that mean that

A.) I have to build an XLR->cinch adapter myself with correct pin connections to get AES/EBU going

or

b.) I can use the female digital cinch out of the BO968 to connect it to ADI-2's female digital cinch in using a male/male cinch interconnect cable for successful AES/EBU (when switched on in the 9632)?

Sorry for the superficial question - I'm a newbie.
Thanks for advice!

Re: 9632 - AES/EBU - how exactly?

A. No.
B. Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Eunegis 2011-04-19 20:43:51)

Thanks!
13 minutes, 8 seconds - a fine example of RME's reputation (shortly before going to bed ;-)).

I'm sorry but I dont get it.on page 49 hdsp 9632 manual says:

For AES/EBU output operation the optional digital XLR breakout cable is required, as the phono
output has too low voltage for a reliable operation in AES format

ashk wrote:

I'm sorry but I dont get it.on page 49 hdsp 9632 manual says:

For AES/EBU output operation the optional digital XLR breakout cable is required, as the phono
output has too low voltage for a reliable operation in AES format

I believe the ADI2's RCA ("Cinch") inputs/outputs are capable of operating in standard SPDIF mode, or in AES3 mode (I don't see any dedicated XLR AES iputs on the ADI-2, but I don't own one personally).  If the ADI-2 is set to SPDIF mode and the HDSP9632 is sending/receiving SPDIF formatted data, you should have a match made in heaven using regular RCA SPDIF cables...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

6 (edited by ashk 2011-08-11 01:06:04)

randyman wrote;
I don't see any dedicated XLR AES iputs on the ADI-2

yes,you are right. but as Eunegis mentioned in first place , the manual suggest using an adapter
cable( xlr->rca)

7 (edited by Randyman... 2011-08-11 01:35:03)

If you need to feed "true AES" to the ADI-2 from a unit that has XLR AES outputs, then you will need the XLR-to-RCA cable.  From what I understand, most (or all) of RME's RCA SPDIF Inputs can handle the hotter voltage that AES specifies, and I also thought in some instances the RME's RCA SPDIF Output was capable of boosting the voltage to comply with AES when "AES/Professional" is selected in the HDSP Settings dialog (don't quote me on that part).

I know I've used a Digiface to drive a TC DB-Max processor's XLR AES input using a DIY RCA-to-XLR cable (wired accordingly), and the TC box was able to lock just fine (I did have the "AES/Professional" setting ticked in HDSP as mentioned above).  One might anticipate issues if the receiving unit is particularly picky about a stout 5v p-p on the AES signal (I believe the actual AES spec is a fairly lose 2-7v p-p anyways).

Since the OP's HDSP9632 has SPDIF RCA connections and the ADI-2 has SPDIF RCA connections, this only requires standard RCA Digital cables operating in standard SPDIF mode - but I'm assuming you can get AES over the standard RCA connections if both units are set accordingly (as MC posted above).

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Thanks for the reply.but why the manual dose not mention it? as I quoted earlier from the hdsp manual, it sugest xlr (using BO968).adi-2 manual also mentions adapter cables.

If you want an actual XLR AES output on a physical XLR connector out of the HDSP9632, then you'll need the BO968.  If you need to feed an actual XLR input into the ADI2, then you'll need to make (or buy) an adaptor cable (no XLR AES inputs).

The fact that both of the RME units in question can BOTH handle AES over RCA SPDIF negates the need for any XLR adaptors or breakout cables here.  If you were to interface other gear to either box, you'd need to make the appropriate cabling for the scenario at hand (RME is one of the few brands that can use AES over RCA SPDIF IIRC)...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

10 (edited by ashk 2011-08-11 02:06:38)

Thanks.On page 9 the adi-2user's guide says;

SPDIF Double/Quad Speed
Both the coaxial and optical input support all sample rates between 32 and 192 kHz directly.
They operate in the so called Single Wire mode.

If I am not wrong it is exactly what you are talking about.
thank you again :-)