Topic: I think my FF800 died.

Been using it in the same setup for 5 years, nothing new, nothing got moved or giggled. Tonight it started stuttering so reinstalled the drivers and flashed the hardware thinking something could've become corrupted. It still sputtered audio intermittently then after one of the reboots was not even connecting. Red host light stays on. Tried a different FW interface to no avail. Will check with a different cable in the a.m. Any ideas?

PC
Quad core Intel 32Ghz
4 GB ram
Windows XP Pro SP3
Cubase 5.52

XOQ

Re: I think my FF800 died.

Try with different computer also.

Probably the elco's in the PSU and in the phantompower on the mainboard, have died.

On my FF the phantom power died and it didn't start up well everytime I switched it on, after opening up the unit I saw several bulging elco's after replacing them(and some transistors in the phantom circuits) I got the unit working 100%

So if you're not so confident in soldering on an SMD board, bring it to a good repairservice.

Sander wrote:

Probably the elco's in the PSU and in the phantompower on the mainboard, have died.

On my FF the phantom power died and it didn't start up well everytime I switched it on, after opening up the unit I saw several bulging elco's after replacing them(and some transistors in the phantom circuits) I got the unit working 100%

So if you're not so confident in soldering on an SMD board, bring it to a good repairservice.

Hi Sander,
My FF800 is one of the very early ones and it's served me extremely well however, I occasionally have it power up with a different Property ID in settings (a simple power cycle gets it back to it's correct ID (9B7) in my case). I was just wondering if you might be able to confirm that these are what I'm looking for? p/s Cap is looking a little pregnant in this one....

https://skitch.com/mattrixx/fqh3x/ff800-power-supply

And do you think you might be able to advise on which trannys I should be considering with regard to phantom power in the shot below? (my Channel 9 pre-amp is not supplying clean phantom).

https://skitch.com/mattrixx/rxtnt/ff800-main-board

I'm confident about the actual repair, however, not completely certain on the diagnosis... mainly with the transistors.

Regards,
Matt

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------