Topic: Babyface mic-inputs are quiet

My problem is that both XLR- input channels are really quiet. Even when I set input gain to +60 I still get a very very quiet recording with a Shure SM 58. I also tried connecting a DJ-mixer into inputs and put some music from there but also that signal comes in surprisingly low and it sounds really thin...

Outputs of the interface are working correctly and also the line/instrument plug-input works well. The XLR-inputs have worked before. 

What can cause this problem? Is it possible that the breakout cable is broken somehow?

Re: Babyface mic-inputs are quiet

I am interested in hearing from RME on this as well.

I cannot say the mic pres sound -thin-... which makes me suggest you have an impedance matching issue perhaps?

I have no problem using an SM-57. I -do- find I have to jack it up higher than other pres I have... though I have a Neve clone that is pretty quiet as well.

However, the spec says the pres generate '60db gain' and I find that suspect---not sure they put out that much.

Or maybe it's based on a different reference level? One reason I bought the BF was I wanted higher gain. Many of the USB interfaces I compared have gain as low as 35db. Perhaps lower gain is just the nature of a bus-powered device?

---JC

My problem is that the XLR-inputs worked really well earlier but now it's somehow broken because the signal coming in through the XLR inputs is really weak. From the instrument jack input I get still normal signal level.

Sounds like either a broken breakout cable or a broken unit then. Maybe try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to make sure it's not software issue.

I already uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the most recent drivers but that didn't help....

What about using a different computer? I assume you already tried a different mic-cable and different mic!?

yep and I tried to connect a DJ-mixer to inputs but music from there came also in really weak... I haven't tried another computer yet. Maybe I shoud do that...

Did you use different cables with the DJ Mixer?

Yes. It's not about the XLR-cables, tried with four different cables.