Topic: Multiface 2.... what more do I need to...

Hi,

I have the multiface 2 and work in Logic. AFAIK, the spdif digital out can not send/receive surround sound. So what else would I need to be able to work with surround sound in Logic?

Thanks

Re: Multiface 2.... what more do I need to...

The SPDIF output (either coax or optical) can pass Dolby-encoded audio from software (DVD Player, etc), but it cannot encode 5.1 signal into Dolby digital. You'll need to connect analog outs to your preamp or monitors in order to do surround mixing in your DAW.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by oceanviewstudio 2011-08-12 19:32:10)

Jeff wrote:

The SPDIF output (either coax or optical) can pass Dolby-encoded audio from software (DVD Player, etc), but it cannot encode 5.1 signal into Dolby digital. You'll need to connect analog outs to your preamp or monitors in order to do surround mixing in your DAW.

Thanks Jeff.

Perhaps I am confusing something here, but sending ac3 via spdif out to the Logitech Z5500 - nothing serious, just for testing before I commit to blue sky 5.1 - does not give me a DTS signal afaik.

You are saying, if I were to prepare a DTS file in Logic/Compressor, and send that over the spdif out to the Z5500 it should work?

When I connect the built in digital out from my MacPro directly to the Z 5500, I do get a DTS signal, but not from sending via my MF2.

Some wrong HDSPe settings perhaps?

Thanks again!

Software out and hardware out channels must be at 0db setting (no boost, no attenuation), and check "Non-Audio" for SPDIF out. I don't know if Logic can do this correctly or not, but it works with DVD Player app.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I've run into issues with a DD/DTS stream being "corrupted" when other channels are submixed to that SPDIF output, and more-so if any of the ANALOG Inputs are turned up in Totalmix on the SPDIF Output.  This adds low-level analog noise to the DD/DTS bit stream, and "breaks" the bit-transparent signal.  Make sure the desired software output is the only thing routed to the SPDIF Output for the best chance of DD/DTS success...

Aside from that, I use my MF-I with DTS and DD all the time into a NAD T175HD Pre/Pro w/o any issues.  You will have to make sure your media player or codecs are set to "Pass-thru DD/DTS over SPDIF" or similar, or the codec itself might try to decode/downmix the signal before it ever hits the RME driver.  I run W7 and use the "Shark 007 Codec Pack" through WMP and/or VLC - I can confirm DD/DTS pass-thru works fine in this environment.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8