Topic: HDSPe MADI Questions!

I'm thinking about buying the HDSPe MADI. I had a few questions before I get too excited. We're looking at interfacing it with a Soundcraft Vi4 and/or using it with ADI-648 and products that already have ADAT. Here goes:

1. The driver is ASIO compliant right? So, I can use it on Windows with anything that has ASIO support such as Adobe Audition, Cubase, etc? I use Cubase normally for multi-track.
2. What kind of system requirements are required to simultaneously track 32+ tracks? I imagine that tracking to external drives via Firewire or USB is a bad idea with this many tracks?
3. I've also had issues with some ASIO applications recording for long times.. like 2+ hours continuous. Anyone successfully doing long recording takes?
4. How does timecode with the optional card work when using MADI? I imagine timecode is different from Word Clock??
5. Any advantage with PCI version over the PCIe version or vice versa?
6. Is this product 64-bit capable? And Vista capable?

Here's my current system specs...

nVidia 680i LT Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 Ghz)
nVidia Geforce 8800GTS (320MB)
4GB RAM
2x Hitachi SATA II Drives (RAID1)
1x Hitachi SATA II Drive (Non-RAID)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I really hope this solution works for us. I can't find any other MADI interfaces anyways!

Re: HDSPe MADI Questions!

Hello Muzicman82,

1. The driver is ASIO compliant right? So, I can use it on Windows with anything that has ASIO support such as Adobe Audition, Cubase, etc? I use Cubase normally for multi-track.

Honestly, you seem to be a fan of the newest and most impressive technology, regarding your interest in MADI and regarding your system specs. But I tend to say that your computer is rather a gaming machine than a serious audio-workstation (which would for example use an Intel Chipset and Windows XP). Do yourself a favor and create a second partition on your RAID, use a good old XP, as little internet as possible and so on. But - this advice is my personal experience without ever having worked with Vista Ultimate 64Bit.

Apart from this, and to answer your question: yes, it is fully ASIO compliant. Make sure your system is stable and use good software.

2. What kind of system requirements are required to simultaneously track 32+ tracks? I imagine that tracking to external drives via Firewire or USB is a bad idea with this many tracks?

It is possible to record 32+ tracks to an external harddrive, especially with a RME-tool like DigiCheck (since it writes interleaved files, which is useful for recording, but not for editing/mastering). It depends on the way the data is stored and the effective data rate. In theory, recording 64 channels at 48k simultaneously requires an interface that is able to store 9 MB/s.
BUT: why would you want to take the risk of interface errors or overload, for example: your firewire shares an interrupt with the built-in sata-raid (which also has to be accessed here and there)? What happens when the HDD is fragmented? Take it easy: record internally, master internally, backup externally :-).

3. I've also had issues with some ASIO applications recording for long times.. like 2+ hours continuous. Anyone successfully doing long recording takes?

Of course! No problem. Use a stable system, the stable RME driver and a good application like Sequoia, Samplitude, Nuendo, DigiCheck...

4. How does timecode with the optional card work when using MADI? I imagine timecode is different from Word Clock??

Timecode is indeed different from wordclock. Wordclock is a beat, timecode is encoded time information, usually hours:minutes:seconds:frames. In theory, you connect a device with timecode output, like the Bonsaidrive, to the input of the MADI-card. When you push play on the Bonsaidrive (playback of video without using your computersoftware on a seperate screen), your APP (ASIO Positioning Protocol) compatible software will set the cursor on the timeline to the corresponding time. There's not much use for timecode if you're not in the video business.

5. Any advantage with PCI version over the PCIe version or vice versa?

only PCIe over PCI advantages:
apart from the benefits of PCIe itself, the RME website states:

Sample rates up to 192 kHz
even lower latencies
Enhanced TotalMix
monitor output with low-latency converter technology of ADI-8 QS
direct support of HDSP TCO

6. Is this product 64-bit capable? And Vista capable?

Yes. But see 1).

I'm sorry that I'm so pessimistic. I bet 20:1 that you're able to record two MADI-cards (128 channels) on your Vista Ultimate 64 with Cubase while editing a Word document. Just: for serious jobs, never take a risk ;-).

I hope this helps. :-)
Best regards,
Max

Max -

Thanks for the info and insight. Yea, this current PC is indeed made up of gaming components, but what's to say it's not workstation ready? Vista x64 has been stable beyond my expectations so far. Sure, I can do XP, but XP x64 was pretty bad. It also can't address 4GB of RAM.

I wouldn't track to Firewire, but was wondering if others were doing it.

muzicman82 wrote:

Vista x64 has been stable beyond my expectations so far.

"Stable" as in "hasn't crashed yet" is one thing, stability in terms of uninterrrupted performance with mulltitrack audio may be another. Can't comment on your machine specifically, but Vista is a bit of a performance hog in itself, XP may make a leaner system...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It also can't address 4GB of RAM.

You're right. Your graphics card and other system components will use some of the 4GB address space, so maybe you'll end up at 3.5 Gig.

But what are 500MB compared to the benefits you have? Compare your Vista Ultimate 64bit to a nice modified Version of XP 32bit while using professional audio applications. And tell us the results :-)!

Max

What are some system specifications that some of you have been using with this card? Anyone using it with Cubase SX or Cubase 4? What about Adobe Audition? All are ASIO capable programs.