1 (edited by fapfap 2011-08-12 18:43:57)

Topic: Soft Direct Monitoring Signal

I have a problem that I think most don't face, I tend to track my music with most of the instruments somewhat mixed and normalized. Hence when I record vocals the monitoring signal is not loud enough to compete with the track and I end up struggling to hear myself through the cans. I know the easy fix is to simply bypass all my channels in Cubase so I don't get such a loud music playback but is there any other way that I can achieve a loud monitoring signal? I am not very adept with TotalMix FX so currently I think I'm monitoring directly by routing the analog input straight to phones 3-4, I understand that I can also do ASIO Direct Monitoring with Cubase but either way I'm getting pretty soft monitor signal for my mic.

By the way if you couldn't tell already I'm a fresh Babyface owner here, loving it A LOT so far!

Re: Soft Direct Monitoring Signal

Just turn down the Cubase output in the middle row of TotalMix.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I think the issue is that he's monitoring through Cubase (as many of us do).

Get your mix under control up-front and your HP Mixes and subsequent final mixes will fall into place a lot easier IMO.  Headroom is your friend with 24-Bit audio files and 32-bit float mix busses wink

Alternatively, you *could* double-buss your Vocal Track to a seperate output in TotalMix, and blend the Main Mix (vocals and all) along with the isolated Vox submix to get the relative balance you need when tracking - but I'd really get the mix under control and be in a better place in general IMO...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Jeff wrote:

Just turn down the Cubase output in the middle row of TotalMix.

Damn! Don't know how I missed that, thanks Jeff!

That's what I get for not reading carefully (As in: "DIRECT MONITORING" - Something I haven't used once fryingpan ).  All that blather for naught rotfl

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8