Topic: Next Round Of BF/9652 TotalMix Questions

In our last action-packed episode:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11827

I'm trying to link my BF in one room, to another DAW with a 9652 running Cubase. These are connected by 2 100 ft. ADAT cables.

I think I'm almost there, except for some conceptual problems. Please be gentle... I have -never- had to mess with TotalMix (thank God!) I spent one day about 8 years ago experimenting with the ASIO multi-client feature so I could have Wavelab open in one window and Cubase in another. When I got it working, I saved it as a preset and promptly stopped thinking about TotalMix. I never understood it and as I said, was happy to remain ignorant.

What I am trying to do is record on the BF stereo inputs and have that signal routed to tracks on the 9652 DAW in Cubase. This gets confusing -fast-.

1. I open TotalMix on my laptop connected to the BF and make sure I have a signal on my hardware inputs, which is being routed to AS1/2.

2. I go over to the Cubase machine, check that I have a level on the corresponding ADAT inputs of the 9652 and hit record.

WARM UP QUESTION: The Sync light on the BF is lit but momentarily blinks every 4-5 seconds. I don't -hear- any problems, but does this indicate any potential problems? I guess I expected it to be solid green.

MAIN QUESTIONS:
1. Even with all channels muted in Cubase (on the 9652) I -still- hear the input signals from the BF. Why? I understand the 9652 is multi-client, but how do I block that signal from being passed directly from the 9652 input to the 9652 output?

I understand that the faders in TotalMix are not in the signal path, but I -thought- they were 'mutually exclusive'... ie. only one device could use one set of inputs or outputs at a time. The Cubase output to my monitors is via the 9652's 1/2 and yet, when I bring down that output the sound coming from the BF still sounds.

2. I -really- don't get the whole 'matrix'... which I suspect is part of the concept problem. In the 'old' matrix I recall, you simply clicked on an input/output 'cell' to make a connection... and I could 'see' which channels had signal. Maybe it's the same, but I can't seem to follow it now... How can I use the matrix to diagnose my issue?

Sorry if the questions are a bit vague. I figure it might take a few go-rounds to finally 'get' this.

TIA,

---JC

PS: I -did- watch this video... http://vimeo.com/1665619  ...and I'm still stuck. The UI is a bit different in the new TotalMix---I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

a.

Re: Next Round Of BF/9652 TotalMix Questions

suntower wrote:

WARM UP QUESTION: The Sync light on the BF is lit but momentarily blinks every 4-5 seconds. I don't -hear- any problems, but does this indicate any potential problems? I guess I expected it to be solid green.

Yes, this indicates a sync problem. You can also check the Babyface settings app, it should show solid "Sync" for ADAT in, which will correspond to a solid sync LED on the unit. I don't know how your system is set up, but you need to have one unit on internal clock (master), everything else syncs to digital input (slave).

MAIN QUESTIONS:
1. Even with all channels muted in Cubase (on the 9652) I -still- hear the input signals from the BF. Why? I understand the 9652 is multi-client, but how do I block that signal from being passed directly from the 9652 input to the 9652 output?

You have the input channels (top row) routed to the output channels (bottom row) in the HDSP 9652 mixer. Nothing to do with Cubase.

I understand that the faders in TotalMix are not in the signal path, but I -thought- they were 'mutually exclusive'... ie. only one device could use one set of inputs or outputs at a time. The Cubase output to my monitors is via the 9652's 1/2 and yet, when I bring down that output the sound coming from the BF still sounds.

Which output did you bring down, middle row (cubase outs) or bottom row (hardware outs)?

2. I -really- don't get the whole 'matrix'... which I suspect is part of the concept problem. In the 'old' matrix I recall, you simply clicked on an input/output 'cell' to make a connection... and I could 'see' which channels had signal. Maybe it's the same, but I can't seem to follow it now... How can I use the matrix to diagnose my issue?

Not sure what you mean, the matrix has not really changed at all.

The UI is a bit different in the new TotalMix---I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

It's a different color, sure, but the routing concept and actions are the same in both HDSP Mixer and TotalMix FX. Anyway, your routing error is on the HDSP system, not the Babyface.

Here's the simple explanation. Select the routing target (output channel) first (only the bottom row). Just click on the channel to select it. Now pull up or down any faders in the top two rows to send or remove signal routing.

Select target, then change source. Simple.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the detailed reply. In the classic...take it into the shop and the problem goes away, the odd behaviours have vanished---both the intermittent blinking of the sync light -and- the fact that sound was coming through the monitors  while Cubase was running and no channels armed. In short, it's working as expected now... My -guess- is that one of the computers involved went to sleep and did not awake properly refreshed.

But this is a -very- good solution. Works fine over 100ft. adat cables.

The only thing that would make it even -cooler- would be if you guys had...and I'm serious... an Android app for TotalMix.

---JC

Hi JC,
This works with the older Total Mix. I have not had a chance to try it with the Total Mix FX but it should work also.
I've only tried it over wifi not Bluetooth. works great in Cubase as well.
https://market.android.com/details?id=d … rch_result

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Intriguing!

I didn't see this in my phone's 'MarketPlace'... I'll check again (FWIW: Most phones in America are gotten through AT&T and Verizon and they 'lock' one from creating/using any app outside their corporate 'marketplace'.) I hope this is available!

Thanks,

---JC

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Hi JC,
This works with the older Total Mix. I have not had a chance to try it with the Total Mix FX but it should work also.
I've only tried it over wifi not Bluetooth. works great in Cubase as well.
https://market.android.com/details?id=d … rch_result

Chris

Hi JC,
I use Sprint which thankfully does not seem to lock down their phones as much.
Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

I'd switch in a heartbeat except that...
1. Sprint has lousy coverage in Seattle

2. Their phones can't be unlocked to use in Europe... I guess they don't use the same kinds of SIM cards.

<sigh>

It's always -something-.

Thanks,

---JC

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Hi JC,
I use Sprint which thankfully does not seem to lock down their phones as much.
Chris