Topic: connecting the RME ADI-2 to a Samson S-Monitor

Using the ADI-2's TRS analog outs how can I get a stereo signal into the Samson S-monitor?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod … rodID=1696

Re: connecting the RME ADI-2 to a Samson S-Monitor

tokyofan wrote:

Using the ADI-2's TRS analog outs how can I get a stereo signal into the Samson S-monitor?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod … rodID=1696

I'm assuming the 1/4" input is standard stereo unbalanced.

You need a lead that is 2 x TS to 1 x TRS. Wiring diagrams etc are widely available on the net or on the RME website (Manual for the multiface as one example).

Pin config: tip Left TS to tip TRS, tip Right TS to ring TRS, sleeve Left TS to sleeve TRS, sleeve Right TS to sleeve TRS.

Hope this helps,

Isaac P

Yes, an UNBALANCED stereo insert.

If I then connect an earphone into one of the headphone ports would I get any latency or delay during a live recording session?
I want to record VO and monitor my own voice.
Thx!

tokyofan wrote:

Yes, an UNBALANCED stereo insert.

If I then connect an earphone into one of the headphone ports would I get any latency or delay during a live recording session?
I want to record VO and monitor my own voice.
Thx!

Depends on how you are routing your vocal! And which headphone port you are talking about (samson or ADI-2)

What are you using to get your vocal into your DAW (remembering that the ADI-2 isn't a mic pre)?

Can you please expand on your setup some more.

Isaac P

Connection from the PRE's "Mic pre-amp out' XLR going into the ADI-2's analog in by TRS (mono...voice only)
I want to monitor from the headphone jack of the Samson S-Monitor, if there's no latency.
So, how can I get a stereo signal to the Samson S-Monitor from the ADI-2? Do I need to use both analog L/R outs (TS or TRS?)...and combine the signal going into the
S-Monitor's Mix Thru?
Currently, I have a cable from the PRE's 'line out' (XLR) going to the S-Monitor's 'MIX thru' (via TRS) and it seems to working OK as is, no latency.

tokyofan wrote:

Connection from the PRE's "Mic pre-amp out' XLR going into the ADI-2's analog in by TRS (mono...voice only)
I want to monitor from the headphone jack of the Samson S-Monitor, if there's no latency.
So, how can I get a stereo signal to the Samson S-Monitor from the ADI-2? Do I need to use both analog L/R outs (TS or TRS?)...and combine the signal going into the
S-Monitor's Mix Thru?
Currently, I have a cable from the PRE's 'line out' (XLR) going to the S-Monitor's 'MIX thru' (via TRS) and it seems to working OK as is, no latency.

That is your easiest option I think. Unless there is a mono combine or something on the samson. How are you monitoring the already recorded stuff?

Isaac P

I normally use a preamp with an extra line out (in addition to the Mic Preamp out) and connect directly to the S-Monitor headphone amp. Not sure it's the best way but it works. Will play around with connecting the ADI2 to the S-monitor, as you suggested, as report back! Thx!

OK, I'm using a Y-cable as you suggested...TS x 2 to TRS x 1 from the ADI-2 into the S-Monitor's 'Stereo Thru' input.
I'm using Amadeus Pro recording app...when recording I "play thru"...but am getting latency now. Any way to trim that delay?