Topic: Driver and Total Mix are 32bits??

Hello,

I'm under Windows 7 64 bits and have the latest drivers downloaded from the site.

When I open Task Manager the driver and Total Mix show as 32 bits. Is that normal?

Aren't there 64 bits versions of them??

I'm asking cause I'm getting a lot of pops with some vsti's.

Thanks

Re: Driver and Total Mix are 32bits??

Same on the Mac

Drivers are 64 bit, Totalmix and Settings dialog are 32 bit.

So,

How do I eliminate the pops and crackles at 48 buffer size??

My system is very powerful:

RME Babyface (latest drivers/firmware downloaded from the site) - Latency 48
Intel i7 2600 / 16 GB of RAM / SSD for the system / WD Black Caviar (2x - samples / recording) / Win 7 - 64 bits / SONAR X1b 64 bits

I'm having trouble with just one instance of KONTAKT (4.2.3) loading the library Emotional Piano from Tonehammer and Izotope Ozone in my master (disabling ozone wont help) inside Sonar X1.

So my system isn't supposed to handle this??

Thanks

Hi Rap,
Make sure you have tweaked windows properly.
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html
With the Sandy Bridge chip set you will also have some BIOs settings you need to tweak.
We would need to know more details on your computer hardware for this though.

Other than this it could be Kontakt and Sonar interacting with each other negativity at these lower buffers.
You can try another host like Reaper and see if it behaves better that these lower buffers.
You should not use any plugins that add their own extra buffer like Ozone while tracking. Only use them in the mixing stage where the latency does not matter.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

First of all: Does 64 samples buffer work? Does 96 samples work better or worse than 64 sample?

Also run http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml and report back (best with screenshot).

Timur wrote:

First of all: Does 64 samples buffer work? Does 96 samples work better or worse than 64 sample?

Also run http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml and report back (best with screenshot).

This is what DPC shows in the moment of the pop:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6827/screen11e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this is my DAW:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/115/screen22t.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6403/screen33j.jpg

REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND!

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Hi Rap,
Make sure you have tweaked windows properly.
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html
With the Sandy Bridge chip set you will also have some BIOs settings you need to tweak.
We would need to know more details on your computer hardware for this though.

Other than this it could be Kontakt and Sonar interacting with each other negativity at these lower buffers.
You can try another host like Reaper and see if it behaves better that these lower buffers.
You should not use any plugins that add their own extra buffer like Ozone while tracking. Only use them in the mixing stage where the latency does not matter.

Thanks Chris

I followed the instructions and nothing changed... well actually something changed: my windows takes 20 - 30 MINUTES to start. Any ideas why??

Thanks

9 (edited by colibri 2011-08-22 18:58:29)

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Hi Rap,
Thanks Chris

coming back to this, i'd like to kindly ask what tweaks you're recommending, since i did the usual win7 ones already. i'm using a somewhat similar system compared to the user "rap" and decided to upgrade from focusrite saffire 6 usb to the babyface. my sys: lenovo g770, i7 2620, 8 gb ram, 750 gb harddisc, ati graphics 1 gb, win7 home premium 64bit, cubase 5.

greatly appreciated!

I assume you are using the "High Performance" Windows power-profile, not the default "Balanced" one?

everytime im using the laptop for producing, yes, i switch the lenovo power management to "high performance"

@Colibri: First do a test with DPC Latency Checker to see if your case is the same as the original poster's.

@Rap: What mainboard are you using? Did you try to run the same plugins via another host yet (Reaper comes to mind)?

@Colibri,
I would need to know the motherboard brand and model number in order to suggest any settings.

@ Rap,
Did you make any changes in your BIOs to the drive controller? This unless you did something wrong in the tweaking would be the only things that should be causing the system to boot slower. If anything it should be booting faster.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

@rap,
Do you have anything plugged into this USB 3 controller? I have never heard of that USB 3.0 chip set before.
Also from your picture it looks like your IDE controllers are disabled?
Also you have a flash drive and some other external drive hooked up. Remove them and re-enable the IDE ports to see if the system boots faster. Also if you did all the Windows Tweaks you should be able to re-enable your video card which according to your picture is still disabled. This also can cause a slow boot up.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

thanks so much for the replies. just to point it out: i'm not having severe problems so far, i just expected the CPU load to drop by ~50% (theoretically) due to switching from an intel dualcore to quadcore, which is not the case (maybe 10-20% more power now) - so i was wondering if BIOS-tweaking can squeeze more out of it. judging from my desktop 9632 soundcard, i would expect that simply upgrading to the babyface will free some power, but well... need to see when it arrives october.

@timur: thanks for the advice, will do asap, but does it make sense without having the external soundcard connected? is DPC just checking the computer without external(ly connected) hardware?

@chrisludwig: i could post a snapshot like "rap" if that helps? is there any software to read out the board manufacturer besides opening the actual laptop? lenovo doesn't provide detailled information, all i have so far is:

Intel HM5 Express chipset
High Definition (HD) Audio, CX20671 Codec
Core i7 2620M, 2x 2.70 GHz (3.40 GHz Turbo)
8 GB RAM
750 GB Festplatte
AMD Radeon HD6650M 1.0 GB, DVD+/-RW Multi
WLAN b/g/n, 1x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, HDMI / VGA
2.0 MP Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

You should also update to Sonar X1C, because X1B had some troubles at least with the Firewire Firefaces. So maybe the USB ones are affected, too.

@colibri
Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information.
Then go to file and export as a text file.
Copy and paste this information and send to me though the forums email.
It will be too big to just post on the forum.
I will get a better idea of what driver versions and hardware is used.
Also make sure the system is set to English before doing this.
We will continue this via private email so we don't clutter up Raps post.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas