Topic: Is it possible to change the LEVEL of a channel on the UFX iteself?

Hi Guys,

This might sound ridiculous, but I can't work out how to change the LEVEL of each channel on the FireFace UFX itself (not on TotalMix).

I have never needed to do this as I always use the UFX with TotalMix, but I may be using it without a computer soon (as a small mixer for a gig). I can see that most other settings can be changed from the unit itself, but I can't work out how to change the level of each channel.

Any help you can offer would be great!

Cheers,
Mike

Re: Is it possible to change the LEVEL of a channel on the UFX iteself?

Like in TotalMix you control everything in 'Submix View'. That requires you to go the matching output (the submix) first, then select the input (for that output). Here you can change the 'gain' or level.

It's a simple logic once understood, but not easy to find, I agree.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello to all of you,

I feel a little like yelop, I am a total beginer  and I have some difficulties to understand all the routing/functions/submix of the UFX.

For the moment, I can do everything I need with the UFX, so it's not a big problem. I can even record 6 inputs "live" on an usb stick and play them again for sound check during live sets of my little group (I am not sure it is a good idea ... but it works for me as I sing, I play the flute, I do the sound check ... and it is impossible for me to do every thing in one operation !!), so we play a few minutes, I record it, then I play it to sound check.

My post has this purpose :

- If anyone had the idea to make a little tutorial of "What is the software playback" versus the "Hardware Input" and "Hardware Output" ??? (in TotalMix FX it is the second line, I see it has an effect ... but I don't really get why it is here).
- The routing seems fabulous, but still a little complicated to me (Though I could send a specific mix on my monitor and wooowww it works). But I did not get all the possibilities of the routing matrix.
- Like yelop ... I did not find everything on the "standalone" beast, (routing the voice and a specific mix to an other monitor is easy with TotalMix FX but I can't even imagine how to do it with the standalone UFX.).

Shall I add that I have read the English version of the manual ... and some points remain still unclear as the manual is more dedicated to people who (for example) already know what is a "software input or output".
When you  write : it is all in the "Submix View" that requires to match the output to the input .... well I don't even see how to access the "submix view" (but I promise I will search deeper, if you say so it has to be somewhere...).

If I understand it one day, I may write myself a little tutorial on the subject :
You are a little jazz trio, you want to record your band to make a demo with a DAW and the UFX, use your UFX for concerts standalone (how to change levels and route a little bit more of the guitar to the singer's monitor), you want to record your rehearsals on an USB stick and mix it quickly ... here is what you can do step by step ...
I know everything is possible, but for me it is still "a little hidden in the box" (for instance on youtube, there are lots of videos that show the "unboxing of the UFX", but I think I can unbox it myself without any help ;-)

I do not blame it on the hardware, that is magnificent, but mainly on my weak undertanding of this technique and my poor comprehension of english technical terms related to DAWs and Hardware.

Just a little exemple : It took me hours to understand that you could click on the output on TotalMix FX (that changes very litghtly its gray color to an other gray color a little little little darker) to change the input level. Would it be possible to have a "flashing red output slider" and all the input's text related to this output would also turn flashing red (well I know it is a little too much, but it is just for you to have a feedback from the beginer user).

Once again congratulations for this fabulous piece of hardware, I really do not regret my purchase, and if you think a little more to the rookies like me, I may raise founds to send you flowers ;-)

Sorry for the long text,
Cheers,

Philippe

Try this for a start: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5039

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you Daniel for this link.

In my previous search of understanding the routing, I had already found this helpful video. This video is aimed at the The previous version of the total mix and ... look at the color of the sliders !!! this is a drastic change if you compare it with total mix FX. (in the video tutorial, the selected output sliders are BLACK (very black) and ... all the others are "light grey", and believe me, that helps !!!)
After I watched this video a few weeks ago, I remarked there was a change in the color of the new Total Mix FX window... and only after that I could start understanding the UFX !!

Philippe

Well, as I finally found the hidden menus, I made a little tutorial like promised ...

--- Mod edit: How to use the Fireface UFX mixer in standalone mode ----

The Tutorial
I made it one page with images so I can keep it near the UFX for concerts mixing...
Cheers,
Philippe

Thanks for that PDF, much appreciated. Unfortunately I can not agree with everything that you wrote :-)

> Turn the top Button N°1 until you see the Output you need to change (here Phone Out 9/10). Then press
once Button N°1 to highlight in bold text the menu « Settings » characters. That is part of the hidden secret,
the menu is in bold caracters, but not in a lined frame like the other menus when selected !!

If you enter this menu beside Settings you see an upward arrow, which clearly shows that you can move the cursor up to this field. As soon as you did that the arrow is replaced by the circled '2', because now you can turn the encoder 2 to select different entries. That is not really hidden ;-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by PhilippeMustang 2011-08-27 19:04:21)

OK !!! Now I also understand the meaning of the two triangles around the circle with 1 or 2. It is the indication that you can press 1 or 2 to change menu following the arrow (you are right, it looks like the triangle printed on the UFX as a label to the buttons). It was not that obvious for me, but it is now less and less mysterious to me, sorry I did not understand it at first.

If you prefere, I can remove the word "hidden" in the PDF if it bothers you (but I think everybody can guess it is not a critic toward your fabulous product). I saw also in an US forum some other guys that were looking for the settings of the UFX standalone. This makes the UFX a powerful device not only for recording, but also for sound mixing of our little group in concerts, and to record the rehearsals.
I appreciate the feedback you provide to customers like me !

Hope you will pardon my terrible English as well as my teenager sens of humour (I am 44), Have an excellent Week-End (Hey Matthias, you work on a Saturday afternoon ???)

Philippe

PhilippeMustang wrote:

Once again congratulations for this fabulous piece of hardware, I really do not regret my purchase, and if you think a little more to the rookies like me, I may raise founds to send you flowers ;-)

Congratulations from me too! I am in with the founds and with sending flowers to him! big_smile I sometimes order flowers by internet I think they will suit quite perfectly - maybe we can hide little electronic gifts in it so he can use it for a new piece of hardware. big_smile