Topic: What are my options?

Hi peoples,

I've been using my FF400 for ages now and I love it but I've reached the point where I want to mix OTB.
what are my options?

I want to have at least 16 outs so that I could use a summing box like the Dangerous 2 Bus.
I don't really care that much about ins but at least 8 would be nice just in case. (although 8 would be over kill)

I'm worried about getting a ADAT expansion because of the firewire bottleneck. Anybody have any experience running 16 outs with firewire?

Any info would be great as I'm really a newb when it comes to this area.

Cheers

Bill

Re: What are my options?

I'm worried about getting a ADAT expansion because of the firewire bottleneck.

The "bottleneck" is no problem with 16, 32 or 60 channels. The Fireface 400 can of course use all inputs + outputs at the same time.

best regards
Knut

Ok, thats nice to know. :-)

So is the M-16DA the best option for me then?

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill,
The FF400 only has one ADAT port so you can only add another 8 channels via ADAT directly to the FF400.
The M16DA is 16 channels of DA and you would only be able to access 8 of those channels when plugged into the FF400.
Alternatives:
Add a 2nd FF400 either as a standalone 8 channel AD/DA or as expansion for the first FF400. This will give you 16 analog I/O.
If used along with the first FF400 as an audio device you will end up with 16 analog I/O 16 ADAT, 2 SPDIF.
If you really wanted to use then M-16DA you can add it to the ADAT I/O of the 2x FF400s or replace your current FF400 with a FF800 or FF UFX either of which have 16 channels of ADAT to plug the M16DA into.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

I just wanted to write the same.

... or the Fireface UFX with the Fireface 400 as stand alone ADAT converter (20 analog outputs).

best regards
Knut

Oh nice. thanks for the reply. smile

I have a friend who has a ff400 which is willing to lend me for a few weeks so I'll test out the two out and see how they perform together.
Question: If i daisy chain them will i have to install any software etc to see the extra outputs? --- (i only have 1 fw port on motherboard and no PCI slots left for expansion cards...)

Cheers

Bill