Topic: D/A converters on Fireface UFX and 800

I am currently using a PreSonus Firepod, a Macbook laptop, keyboard and Synthogy Ivory for gigs in a live setting.  I was looking to upgrade the Firepod by researching devices with higher quality D/A converters.  Here are my questions:

Is there a difference in the D/A converters between the Fireface UFX and 800?  For my purpose, I don't really care about the number of inputs or the mic preamps, and I imagine that Firewire or USB won't make much difference.  I am interested in having the best D/A converter available.

At the moment, I run a left and right output (both 1/4" mono jacks) from my Firepod into a stereo amplifier.  On the Fireface UFX, there appears to be a couple of options.  What would result in a higher quality signal, using the two stereo XLR outputs with two XLR to 1/4" cables, or using a line output with a 1/4" stereo to two 1/4" mono cable?

Thanks,
Jeff

2 (edited by ChrisLudwig 2011-08-29 00:23:13)

Re: D/A converters on Fireface UFX and 800

Hi Jeff,
The UFX has newer and improved AD and DA. Both are excellent sounding devices and the difference between is not night and day.
The difference coming form the Firepod to any of the Fireface series devices will be night and day though. smile
If your equipment you plugging it into is balanced then you want to use balanced XLR female to balanced TRS 1/4" Male cables.
http://www.hosatech.com/dimg/thm/t350_f318f1f9f4f5c2c90f633bf320e5b76c.jpg

For unbalanced connections -
XLR Female to TS unbalanced 1/4"
http://www.hosatech.com/dimg/thm/t350_01512683794185fcd854a709463d0b99.jpg

or

XLR Female to unbalanced RCA Male -
http://www.hosatech.com/dimg/thm/t350_c10d7faebba975ae3494fb1e962a1509.jpg

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Chris,
    Thanks for the info, especially regarding the improved quality of the Fireface!  I am pretty sure that my amp inputs are unbalanced -- it is a Walter Woods, so it is hard to verify.  They are listed as buffered high-impedance inputs, and I have always used unbalanced connections in the past.  Of the pictures you showed, the middle one (XLR female to 1/4" TS) was the one I was envisioning for outputs 1 and 2.  However, the manual seems to imply that outputs 3-8 can be used with one of the following types of cables:

[img align=L]http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/IPBQ2Q3-large.jpg[/img] 

Is there a benefit to using the XLR stereo out versus the 1/4" TRS stereo out?

Jeff

No, these outputs are all mono. You can't use this cable.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

The section that I find confusing is the following, found on page 41 of the manual:

"The short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs of channels 3 to 8 are available as 1/4"
TRS jacks on the back of the unit. The electronic output stage is built in a servo balanced design
which handles unbalanced (mono jacks) and balanced (stereo jacks) correctly."

I took this to mean that it outputs a stereo signal if a stereo plug is used.  Does a mono signal get transmitted, regardless of the jack used?  The cable I had in mind in my previous post would probably be more appropriate for outputs 9 - 12, as opposed to 3 - 8.  Page 42 in the manual shows a schematic of such a cable.

jdlawlis wrote:

I took this to mean that it outputs a stereo signal if a stereo plug is used.  Does a mono signal get transmitted, regardless of the jack used?

Of course. Otherwise the whole numbering would be wrong.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,
    I don't quite follow you about the numbering.  Could you elaborate?  If you mean that stereo outputs are usually labeled 1/2, etc., then why are outputs 9 - 12, which I assume are stereo outputs, given a single number?

Well, on my UFX it clearly says 9/10 and 11/12 at the TRS connector...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't have the luxury of having a UFX in front of me, which is why I am trying to see if it is worthwhile to buy.  I'll modify my original question:  what is the preferred method to connect the UFX to a two channel amplifier with unbalanced inputs:  (1) connecting outputs 1 and 2 using two XLR to 1/4" unbalanced TS cables; (2) connecting outputs 3 and 4 (or 5/6 or 7/8) using two 1/4" unbalanced TS cables; (3) connecting outputs 9 and 10 (or 11 and 12) using a single cable with 1/4" TRS on one end and two 1/4" unbalanced TS on the other end.  In other words, is there a difference in signal quality between these three options?

No quality difference...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME