Topic: Fireface 800 Quiet Outputs

My earlier problem (if anyone happened to have read it) seems to have solved itself. No explanation. Now I've found that outputs 7 and 8 are quieter that any other. I've got a picture to show you what I mean. It's when I route the output from the computer (on 1 and 2) out of 7/8 (hardware outs). As you can see in the mixer, they're too quiet. I'm using a -20dB sine wave to test it.

Screenshot

As well as routing to 1/2, I'm also routing to 7/8 and the headphones (9/10)

Any thoughts?

Latest drivers for the FF, 10.6.7, latest logic pro (although i'm only using it as a sinewave generator)

Cheers

Re: Fireface 800 Quiet Outputs

The routing of Out 1/2 is not at -0- for AN 7/8. Please watch at the video linked below, it's easier to understand if you turn on Submix View.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=splW9OtTBYw

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

7/8 was set to be at 0 on totalmix. Oddly, fixed itself once I switched submix on and then off. I've come to accept that I've done something silly at some point in the last few months with my mac that's messed with the outputs of the mac, as I had all kinds of weirdness with both the previous Profire 2626 interface, and similar issues with this. On the plus side, the line inputs on the FF aren't 14dB too quiet like they were on the 2626, so I can finally sort out a VU meter that's set up wrong

In your screenshot your are not in submix view.  Try enabling submix view and try it again. I find the standard view of TM somewhat confusing, and submix view much more intuitive.  I suspect (as Jeff wrote) that the routing is not actually 1:1.

At the risk of being redundant again, I repeat - submix view is your friend.  I personally never leave it.

Also, it looks like you have 7/8 set up as your mains, and the "dim" light is on, which means outputs 7/8 will be reduced in volume by whatever level you have set up in your settings (or preferences?) manual.

neirbod wrote:

Also, it looks like you have 7/8 set up as your mains, and the "dim" light is on, which means outputs 7/8 will be reduced in volume by whatever level you have set up in your settings (or preferences?) manual.

Good eye! I didn't notice this.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.