Topic: Recommendation needed -- adding analog interface alongside MADI

Hey,

I currently use a HDSPe MADI card and would like to add some analog ins.  What would be the best/most stable card with which to do so?  I really only need 1 analog in (for a guitar signal), so I was thinking the HDSPe PCI + multiface. 

My machine is a 4,1 2.66 octocore macpro running OS10.6.5.

Re: Recommendation needed -- adding analog interface alongside MADI

Keep in mind you need to sync both cards, so the new card or external box should provide a connection to your available word clock or other digital outputs (AES/EBU, ADAT). The Multiface II will be a good solution. It provides a word clock I/O and SPDIF + ADAT.

best regards
Knut

Thanks for the response.  I'd prefer to not do USB if I don't have to (even though the multiface is way more than I need).  I know that I could even use another brand of audio interface and just aggregate them, but I like the idea of sticking with one driver (HDSPe)...

simon5413 wrote:

I know that I could even use another brand of audio interface and just aggregate them, but I like the idea of sticking with one driver (HDSPe)...

Even this will require using aggregate devices.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yeah, I'm expecting to use an aggregate.

Question:  if I went with the Babyface, would I have to worry about clocking the device if I'm only using it for analog input?  I would be using it in an aggregate with the MADI card (which would be clocked by wordclock). ?

I know in audio midi setup (/audio devices) you have to select a clock source for the aggregate device.  I'm thinking (/hoping) that I could just set the babyface to internal clocking in it's preferences, and then select the MADI card as the clocksource in audio midi setup.

Anyone use this in a similar way or know if it would work?

This won't be sufficient, you'd need to somehow physically sync the devices, which is not possible directly with these two, it would require extra gear.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME