Topic: RME driver (Fireface 800) vs iLok PACE driver issue ???

Hi,

Wanted to know if others have had this before.  I updated Pro Tools to 9.0.5 and now I can't run the program, as I am prompted that I need to update the PACE iLok driver...  Wow! That's the most original in the entire history of computer sorcellery I've ever heard!

Now these guys at iLok are telling me this is a known issue that occurs when the iLok driver installer is run on a system that contains a particular RME Fireface driver. Cool to hear that in order to protect software programmers that do anything but to ''make our life easier'' I can have to mess with my equipment...

Here would be the solution (they provided):

To resolve this issue, please complete the following steps:
Temporarily rename the "fireface_mme.dll" file found in the "\Windows\system32\" directory to "fireface_mme-temp.dll".
Run the iLok driver installer again. There should be no hang when running the installer this time.
When the installation successfully completes, rename the "fireface_mme-temp.dll" file back to "fireface_mme.dll".

Does that make any sense, and do I risk messing anything by doing so ? (Of course, I imagine I would have to make sure the FF800 is shut down before...

Re: RME driver (Fireface 800) vs iLok PACE driver issue ???

This issue is a) a non-issue today, since current FF drivers no longer contain this file (if it is still on your system, you can safely delete it if you are running a 3.x driver) and b) it only ever affected the installation routine of the iLok driver (and not subsequent operation), and does not have any side effects on other software. If PT requires an updated iLok driver, this is in no way related to the FF driver.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel, in no way i meant to blame RME.
I do not have the very last driver of Ff800, but the one before.... Do you mean i can simply remove the file iLok refers too at this precise location?

Don't want to install new driver at this time as i am under some demanding projects....

Which driver have you installed exactly?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Which driver have you installed exactly?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3.0.34  (dated December 17 2010)

But you had the 2.x driver before and therefore the mme dll is still there. As Daniel said, just delete that file.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

But you had the 2.x driver before and therefore the mme dll is still there. As Daniel said, just delete that file.

This file is definitely not there, unless it is somewhere else.  The only dll files I see there are :

- fireface_asio.dll
- fireface_asio_64.dll

And also : this driver is my very first install - no I never had a 2.xxxx driver before (I purchased the FF800 in April 2011 and install what was latest then.

If you don't have that file (and never had as it was excluded since driver 3.0) switch off the FF 800, which will unload all its drivers. If the error stays you will have to go back to iLOK as this error must be caused by something else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry to hear of the problems. Do you have an anti-virus/firewall running and have you tried temporarily disabling it?

FWIW, on my Windows 7 64-bit PC, the Fireface ASIO driver (3.047) is working fine alongside Pro Tools 9.0.5 and the current iLok driver.

I'm using a Fireface 400, but I think the drivers are the same, aren't they?