Topic: Windows 7 Sound reverts to 16 bit and 2 channels on sample rate change

I'm using a RayDAT under Windows 7 64 bit, driver 3.26.

Under Hammerfall DSP Settings, I set Internal clock source, and sample rate to 48000Hz.
Under Windows Playback Devices, I set the RayDAT "Speakers"->Properties->Advanced to 24 bit, 48000 Hz.

Now, when an ASIO program wants to set 44100 Hz, the Windows Playback Devices get set to 16 bit 44100 Hz.
Then, when I switch the RayDAT back to 48000 Hz either by an ASIO program or the control panel, the Windows Playback devices is set to 16 bit 48000 Hz.

In addition, I set the RayDAT "Speakers" device to 7.1, and the ADAT2 (1+2) device to 8ch 24 bit.
When I change the sample rate, "Speakers" gets set to "Stereo" and 2ch for the ADAT2 (1+2)

Is there a way to keep the RayDAT Windows Playback Device to always be set to 24 bit and to maintain the number of channels regardless of sample rate changes?

Re: Windows 7 Sound reverts to 16 bit and 2 channels on sample rate change

Sorry no. That is a known limitation of the current driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by tarsier 2011-09-15 22:52:15)

Is there a plan to change this? Perhaps to make 24 bit and maximum channels the defaults?

Or if not that, then is there a command-line method of changing those attributes so I could do it in a batch, rather than going through the terrible Windows graphical interface?

We are thinking about how to change Windows (!) behaviour for quite some time, but did not find the perfect solution yet. I am not aware of any 'command line' stuff for these properties.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME