1 (edited by Warrior 2011-09-17 18:02:43)

Topic: Need Advice for RME Interface -Using Macbook Pro - Reaper & Axe-FX II

Hi,
I'm seeking advice regarding if an RME interface is right for me. I've never used any other interface besides my -002R to run Protools. I'm switching to Reaper and I am also using an Axe-FX II to my Macbook Pro via USB.

I've been using the Axe-FX II as my interface without the -002R, as it is not "aggregate" compatible.

In order to use my Axe-FX II via USB and have mic inputs, I need to have something that is aggregate compatible. I figured if I am going that route, I want to have the lowest latency possible and I've heard "anything RME is excellent".

With the Axe-FX II via USB, I can record 2 "wet” tracks (i.e.stereo) and 1 “direct” track that can be used for re-amping. Hence, why I don’t just record the Axe-FX II via analog inputs.

I also figured I could set the “RME” as my and output and take advantage of its low latency capabilities.

I currently do not need many XLR inputs so something like the Fireface 400 would be fine.

Also, 95% of my instruments are via the virtual realm. (i.e. Reason, Steven Slate Drums, etc)

Guitars and most bass guitar would be “real world” (for lack of a better term) via the Axe-FX II.

I’m I on the right track or is my knowledge on this subject lacking?

I have a complete open mind.

My Macbook Pro’s Specs are as follow:

Macbook Pro 2.2
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.16 GHz
4 GB Ram
1 Firewire Input

I’m running 2 external firewire drives (1 for session audio – 1 for samples)