Topic: RME UFX- Extremely satisfied

Hello everyone,

I know this is a user forum and most of the times we post here about problems we may have with our RME products or help someone else who is having an issue.

However, sometimes it is also good to report some positive things and pleasant experiences we (most probably) have with our RME products.

So, I wanted to post about my recent purchase. I am an RME user for many years, I have used 9632, Multiface I, Fireface 800, FF400, Octamic D, Quadmic and Multiface II (PCI, PCMCIA, PCI-e).

My main interface in my studio until recently was Multiface II and I cannot say enough good words about it. It was rock solid stable since day one, and my only minor complaint was the lack of WDM drivers that were finally added with the latest driver update.

I was really concerned about losing this stability and exceptional performance when I decided to upgrade to the RME UFX.
I did not want to compromise the performance in any way for adding new futures and a better sounding overall audio interface.

After having my UFX for about 20 days and using it in real world situations (really demanding projects in arranging level- multiple VSTi's , sample libraries and in mixing level with 100+ audio tracks per project  with CPU intensive plugins, multitrack recording), I must say I am extremely satisfied with the product.
I am using it via USB and have never experienced a problem so far. The sound quality is definitely steps up from my Multiface II and the features are amazing. I also love the TotalMix UFX (only problem I still get is the TotalMix mismatch message on boot), it is even more flexible than the TotalMix and it has a great UI that really helps when using it so many hours a day like I do.

Asio performance is not "exactly" the same as my PCIe Multiface II but it is really close. In any case, the Asio performance is a little bit behind the PCIe protocol -at least in my system- but nothing to worry about. The difference is so small that I wouldn't even really notice unless I carried out a test on a Cubase 6 project switching between Asio drivers for UFX and Multiface. In real world latencies (256buffers) the difference is almost non existent , the difference starts to be a little more in 64buffers and lower where Multiface II played fine on a great Asio load, whereas the UFX would click here and there.

But I repeat, this difference in Asio performance is negligible. And the sound and features of the UFX really compensate for that. And I would really trust RME with releasing drivers that match the performance even closer with the PCIe interfaces, they have proven that they know how to write drivers.

The preamps are the best thing you can find in an audio interface at the moment. They are clean, uncoloured, and I love the fact that they are digitally controlled, because I can match mic gains very easily.
The effects are a great plus for me, athough I would like to see some more algorithms in the future. :-)

In a few words, I am extremely satisfied with the UFX, I had zero serious problems with it and I can safely now put my Multiface II back in its box.

Well done RME!

Re: RME UFX- Extremely satisfied

Hello everybody.
I'm very interested in a FIREFACE UFX, and I would be very grateful y I could get some information.
I have a bad experience with a Scope 4.5 and I'm worried with the DSP capacity.
I've been reading the UFX manual and everything seems great but my question is , more or less,
how many plugins it is possible to use in a live performance to use simultaneously. I guess that
this capacity changes depending of the sample rate used, but for example using a sample rate of 48kHz
if I use 8 input channels ,and 4 output channels, ¿May I use Eq and Dinamycs on each without
reaching the maximum DSP load?
Of course I will need as well to use a reverb Fx.
And ¿It would be possible the same set up on higer sample rates?
Thanks in advance.

8 Input channels plus 4 Output channels (12 channels) with Lo Cut, EQ, Compressor/Expander and AutoLevel each cause about 60% DSP load, so no problem. But at 96 kHz the DSP load gets too high for this setup, and you have to either disable Reverb or several of the others.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok .That's fine for me.
But just one more question. I use the software through a MIDI controller in live performance and one of the most powerful things to me, is the ability to change the effects parameters via MIDI. ¿Is that possible with the plugins on Totalmix? For example the reverb length, the effect send of an individual channel, the echo on off etc..

Thanks

No. That is planned for a later release (no date available).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok. And ¿It's gonna be a firmware that I can update? or It's going to be a new hardware?

Firmware/software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I must say that I agree with Dom, the Fireface UFX is a fantastic product! I have not owned it for a very long time but I have really put it to the test. It has shown to be very stable and has not failed for me, and the preamp/converter sound quality is superb! Great job RME!