Topic: Does FF400 work with USB?

I need to start using FF400 on another computer that has plenty of USB ports but only one FW800 port, which I need for an external HD. 
Will the FF400 work with a USB adapter?

Re: Does FF400 work with USB?

No. There is no USB to FireWire adapter on the market. But it's no problem to daisy chain both devices.

best regards
Knut

Daisy chain?
Do you mean use a hub that has both fw400 and fw 800 ports?

You see the 2nd FW400 port on the back? Plug the HD in. The chain falls down to 400 speed but works.

best regards
Knut

Thank you, but I would prefer the HD to still be running at a higher speed than this chain provides.

The chain also works if I run the FF400 through the HD. (I have a miniStack v3 external HD, lots of ports!)

The HD runs via FW800, so what would the reduced speed be with the FF400 attached?

Does this way affect audio quality?

The HD runs via FW800, so what would the reduced speed be with the FF400 attached?

The complete 800 chain with a 400 device between will use 400 speed. See FireWire specs.

Does this way affect audio quality?

No. Audio quality has nothing to do with it.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

The complete 800 chain with a 400 device will use 400 speed. See FireWire specs.

Maybe I misread your reply, Knut, but according to this technical note from another well-known manufacturer. the HD800 maintains its 800 speed when intermediate in the chain?:

http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechN … N_0010.php

Yes. If your 800 device provides an advanced hub with a 400 bus the first connection can use a FireWire 800 data transfer. But keep in mind that the Fireface 400 audio data have to travel across the first connection - reducing the full 800 bandwidth for the HD.

best regards
Knut