Topic: Multiface 1 & HDSP Express Card on Mac Book Pro running Windows 7

Hi everybody,

I bought a Mac Book Pro recently to use it with Bootcamp for Windows (Wavelab) and Snow Leopard (Logic) euqally. I have a Multiface 1 which worked perfectly well on my old Dell Inspiron Laptop running Win2000 and the PCMCIA Card. I thought I'd just replace the PCMCIA Card and buy the HDSPe Express Card. But Windows didn't boot as soon as the RME HDSPe Express Card was plugged in (Mac OS did work).

So I brought back the PCI Express Card to the shop and got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, which obviously encounters problems with the Windows 7 firewire-driver in. Now I'm thinking of geting rid of this sound card as well. I'd be too happy if I could use the rme Multiface 1 if only this problem could get fixed.

Is there anyone using a similar setup, i.e. Windows 7 on a Mac Book Pro with Multiface 1 and HDSPe Express Card?
An chance to ge this combination running.?

NB: I just found the list of faulty Express Cards posted by Matthias Carstens almost 2 years ago, but I guess (well, I hope!) they didn't sell one of these to me in the Shop in (Klangfarbe Vienna), given that they surely had been informed about the Problem then. But I will go there and see, if the card I tried and returned is still there and if it is on the list. However, I fear the problems rather have to do with Mac / Windows and PCI Express drivers, rather than the Express Card itself.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Michael

Re: Multiface 1 & HDSP Express Card on Mac Book Pro running Windows 7

What MBP model is it (year)?

Hi, I bought it in August 2011.

In Mac OS the Computer Info is:
Modellname:    MacBook Pro
  Modell-Identifizierung:    MacBookPro8,3
  Prozessortyp:    Intel Core i7
  Prozessorgeschwindigkeit:    2,2 GHz
  Anzahl der Prozessoren:    1
  Gesamtanzahl der Kerne:    4
  L2-Cache (pro Kern):    256 KB
  L3-Cache:    6 MB
  Speicher:    4 GB
  Boot-ROM-Version:    MBP81.0047.B0E
  SMC-Version (System):    1.70f3
  Seriennummer (System):    C02FM2XVDF92
  Hardware-UUID:    D46F6F20-56A7-5C59-A539-5539ECDB7209

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Please try to boot without the card and then insert it once Windows is running.

It's very possible that Windows will not detect the card being inserted. In this case start Device Manager and have it detect hardware changed (right click on any item on the list of present hardware).

Thanks, Timur,

yes, Windows did recognize the card when inserted while running and i could install the drivers then. I didn't have the time then to test the card in terms of latency and general perfomance, though. At a first glance, I did work. But it is not really satisfactory for an everyday workflow, if I have to install the card manually everyday after booting the computer... Now, I cannot try anymore because I already returned the card to the shop. But if this is a known problem and if there is a solution to it, I'd be happy to buy another HDSPe Express Card and try again, (and get rid of the Saffire I got in the meantime...)
Any suggestions?

6 (edited by joesill 2011-09-22 23:54:20)

Madiface Win7 64 Bootcamp4:
hi, I ve bought the same MBPro2,2Ghz 17`" with 8GB RAM,Bootcamp4.0, efiupdate from 22.9.2011  in september2011,
same problem, I can install the 64bit driver (hdsp_wdm_3.26) and it seems it works ok.
but after 5 to 10 minutes windows 7 prof 64bit freezes, i can eject the madiface pciexpresscard und windows works ok.
I´ve tried uninstalling Realtek 3.3 driver, but no change of the failure.
On my old late2008 MBP 15" i have Win XP 32 installed and this setup has worked 90% ok.
Any Ideas? please Help?
Joe, Austria

Hi Joesill,

from waht I read in your various postings you are actually using the following setup sucessfully: MBP (same as mine) &  Bootcamp & Windows 7 & Fireface 800 . You're problem is with the PCI Express Card of MADI Face, isn't it? I have still not decided which sound card to use. My old Multiface 1 won't work because of the PCI Express Card issue in Win7/Bootcamp. So I have to look for another solution. Saffire Pro 24 DSP works, but only with high latency. So, if the Fireface will do the job, I'll think about getting one (Fireface 400, in my case, but that shouldn't make any difference, I suppose). Please let me know.
Best
Michael
(Innsbruck, Austria, as well)

Do you remember if it made any difference whether the Multiface box was connected or not?

No, unfortunately, I only tried the card AND Multiface Box together and never thought about inserting the card only...

10 (edited by joesill 2011-09-24 15:05:13)

hi michael,
i live in Innsbruck, Austria, too
I didn´t believe it, but now i´m trying the setup with parallels, 1st time, i´m trying changing from bootcamp to a virtual machine. My friend, a programmer thinks, the driver hdspe64.sys, which causes all problems in bootcamp, isn´t a win7 driver, but a windows vista 32bit driver.
i´ll tell you my experience with the new Configuration.
joe , Innsbruck, austria

Parallels does not offer use of the ExpressCard or Firewire ports, only USB.

I'll get my hands on a HDSPe + Multiface and check it in my Macbook Pro 2011 (worked in 2008/9 and 2010). Once I'm done I'll report back.

hi timur,
i´ve tested parallels 7 and you can choose different audio in and out devices. I can hear through my FF800 and baby face and my madiface (pciexpress). my app is sequoia from magix: 40tracks 2 halls from waves and limiter and so on, minimal clicks. but it is not possible to choose any of my 32 inputs through the asio 4all driver , this driver is only stereo. but monitoring and routing is possible!
i think you´ve said,  you are in contact to the asio4all driver developer. perhaps this is the solution for MACBOOKPRO and win7
joe, austria

I'm in contact with Parallels, not ASIO4ALL. wink I've worked with Parallels to get DPCs down and stuff, but by the nature of its design it's still just a compromise.

What you are doing is to use Parallels' own (emulated) audio driver which in turn runs via the OS X audio core. P7 introduced 24-bit/192 kHz playback, but it's still only 16-bit recording.

The main disadvantages are a) only 8 output + 2 input (unless that changed from the last version I tested) and b) no control over the buffer-size of the OS X part.

Disadvantage b) can be worked around by using something like Soundflower or Jack Audio.

15 (edited by Timur 2011-09-26 20:44:22)

So I had a look into the HDSPe ExpressCard (+Multiface 2) problem with the 2011 Macbook Pro.

Good news: It does work!

Bad news: The Macbooks BIOS emulation cannot enumerate the HDSPe EC. It stops at a black screen even *before* the Windows F8 boot menu comes up.

Mixed news: You can insert the HDSPe EC when Windows is already running and it will even be detected properly without having Device Manager manually detect hardware changes.

Curious but interesting news: You can also insert the HDSPe EC after calling up the F8 Windows boot menu (I had it freeze the MBP once though). Then when you start Windows normally it will stall over 2 minutes after the CLASSPNP.DLL is loaded (just before the logon screen). But after that time runs up Windows goes on booting and everything seems to work properly fine. According to XPerf logs the CPU is mostly idle during this time.

Hi Timur, you are right,
I´ve tested my madiface on my 2011 MacbookPro8.3 bootcamp 4 . my app: sequoia 11.1.2. after 5 to 10 minutes the macbook freezes, i can eject the madiface and win 7 64 runs ok, or bluescreen error: hdsp64.sys, always the same.
I´ve tested your tipps-but there is no change of my situation.

Mixed news: You can insert the HDSPe EC when Windows is already running and it will even be detected properly without having Device Manager manually detect hardware changes.

Curious but interesting news: You can also insert the HDSPe EC after calling up the F8 Windows boot menu (I had it freeze the MBP once though). Then when you start Windows normally it will stall over 2 minutes after the CLASSPNP.DLL is loaded (just before the logon screen). But after that time runs up Windows goes on booting and everything seems to work properly fine. According to XPerf logs the CPU is mostly idle during this time.

I will do some long running tests while you might want to test if another software leads to the same issues. Just for testing you should download and run Reaper.