Topic: ff800 and pro tools 9 delay when recording

Hello,

I recently put together a studio for a client and purchased 2 rme ff800 to work with pro tools 9 (per my client's request). Unfortunately, I have no experience with RME products, but am very familiar with pro tools 9.

I am having troubles connecting 2 rme ff800's together, but that's a different post all together, which i already made. But when working with just one ff800 connected via firewire 800 to pro tools 9 (all the latest drivers and updates installed on the most up to date version of snow leopard) I notice there is a delay when listening via headphones and recording on mic. Obviously I don't hear it in the control room but in the production room there is just a slight delay almost like the mic is out of phase with another, even though there's only 1 mic.

Basically i have a mic plugged into the RME preamp 7... in Pro tools it comes up on channel 7... I am sending an output for monitoring through analog out 7 to a furman hds headphone monitoring system to the submix 1.

Is there a way to work around the delay? Thanks, I just do not know much about the RME software or hardware since this is the first time ever using/seeing it.

CerberusProductions

Re: ff800 and pro tools 9 delay when recording

This should help you familiarize yourself with TotalMix, along with the FF Manual: http://youtu.be/splW9OtTBYw

What you describe above is Software Monitoring. The way to reduce latency here is to use a smaller audio buffer in PT, and remove or replace any plugins that add latency.

TotalMix allows for Hardware Monitoring. This has (essentially) no latency for input monitoring. Use hardware monitoring or software monitoring as necessary, but not both at the same time.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: ff800 and pro tools 9 delay when recording

Thanks again jeff... i will take a look at the video and everything once I get my two rme units up and running and working properly... i appreciate your suggestions. I'll let ya know how it goes.