Topic: Fireface UFX: unexplicable higher CPU usage

Hi everybody,
my FF UFX has always worked beautifully since last monday. The CPU usage window in Cubase started to show spikes. My maximum CPU usage with my projects never surpassed 50%, now it's always around 60% with sudden spikes to 100% and really annoying clicks and (sometimes) drops.

What could it be? I didn't change anything on my PC and, what's more, I tried my Fireface UFX with a brand new PC with a fresh new driver and applications install, but problems seem to happen even when PC is idle, the usage bar show some frantic activity between 1 and 5% usage.

I need some advice from you.

The only strange episode i noticed was a strange "electrostatic storm" on my outputs when I turned my Fireface on, before experiencing all the above mentioned things. Could it have some kind of association to my troubles?

Re: Fireface UFX: unexplicable higher CPU usage

"my FF UFX has always worked beautifully UNTIL last monday"

3 (edited by Hemansu 2011-10-08 12:51:39)

Hey !

I think mostly thats CPU spike thing is caused by maleware or else by newly installed software...i experienced it when i dont have UFX. Anyways im not too sure cause you said, "I tried my Fireface UFX with a brand new PC"

More details:

FF UFX and my notebook worked pretty well until last monday, then the only strange thing that happened, was this short but intense activity, maybe due to some static electricity. After that the Cubase CPU usage runned higher than 60% with frequent spikes. All the settings are exactly the same as before.

I decided to take another notebook, this time a brand new one, so I'm starting from scratch, trying to isolate the problem. Even when no project is loaded, Cubase shows signs of frantic CPU activity between 1% and 5%. This sounds strange to me, because I've never had anything similar before. When no project was loaded, then there was almost no CPU charge at all and everything looked more "stable", no spikes from the most relaxed situation to the most stressful one.

I thought it could be hardware related, that's why I'm now testing the FF with another notebook.
I also thought it could be related to the previous PC, but since I've got no apparent change from the previous situation, my suspects go towards the FF.

Keeping on testing, will let you know.
RME guys, any suggestions?

5 (edited by Hemansu 2011-10-08 13:36:48)

You should also check, if there is any short circuits at the switch board. If your laptop power adapter has any damage that also can cause cpu spikes...may be that helps)