Topic: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and FireFace drivers

Is the last driver for FireFace compatible with Leopard?

Thanks,
Marco

Re: Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and FireFace drivers

Hi Marco
You just made the QUESTION OF THE MONTH!!:-)
The new wild cat will be released from the cage in a few hours and happy FF400 & Mac owners are anxious about the compatibility of these two.
I'm sure that  RME support team will very very soon answer to this crucial question.
Thanks for bringing it up Marco wink

FF 400 works perfect under 10.5 wink

MBP17" - FF400

4 (edited by urknall 2007-10-30 09:34:06)

quattroquarti wrote:

Is the last driver for FireFace compatible with Leopard?

@quattroquarti: you are asking the wrong question...

mac osx leopard is a full 64 bit operating system! it was announced and delayed for ages
and serveral developer builds were out. so rme had plenty of time to work on a new driver
for mac osx leopard. in my opinion they SHOULD be very close to put out the final or start
a beta testing very soon. that has to be more a question of days / weeks than months!

so the correct question is not, if the current driver COMPATIBLE with mac osx leopard,
it is:

HOW SOON we can expect a TRUE 64 BIT driver for mac osx leopard?

cheers urknall

Mac Pro Early 2008 2,8 Octo 10 GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4, FF 400 (v3.08 / 1.71)

Hello,
I just made a clean install of Leopard OSX 10.5 on my MBP 15", and my RME Fireface 400 is no longer recognized.

Am I alone on this issue?

Regards,
Niklos

niklos wrote:

Hello,
I just made a clean install of Leopard OSX 10.5 on my MBP 15", and my RME Fireface 400 is no longer recognized.

I updated system (10.5.0). I just made a clean install of Leopard OSX 10.5 on my MBP 15" and my Fireface 800 is running perfect.

Are your driver the lastest?

Ciao,
Marco

quattroquarti wrote:
niklos wrote:

Hello,

I updated system (10.5.0). I just made a clean install of Leopard OSX 10.5 on my MBP 15" and my Fireface 800 is running perfect.

Are your driver the lastest?

Ciao,
Marco

Yes I download the last driver, but I have a FF400.

Regards,
Niklos

So when will we have the 64Bit Driver for leopard ? Why nobody from RME answer ?

64 bit drivers are of no use under Leopard, that's why no manufacturer has them or plans them (AFAIK).

The point in Leopard is that both 32 and 64 bit operations are equally supported. A hardware driver usually allocates only a few MByte, so we do not need 64 bit adressing. Apart from that I bet that most of the drivers in Leopard (for example for the FW controller) do not support DMA access in 64 bit either.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Will there be Leopard-specific drivers released for the FF800 or are we good to go?

polyslax wrote:

Will there be Leopard-specific drivers released for the FF800 or are we good to go?

See above... The FF800 apparently works well in 10.5.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
polyslax wrote:

See above... The FF800 apparently works well in 10.5.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Which is not the case for FF400....

Regards,
Niklos

Nonsense. It works perfectly as before. Obviously there is something wrong on your system or your FF400 is broken. Please try the unit on a different computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Nonsense. It works perfectly as before. Obviously there is something wrong on your system or your FF400 is broken. Please try the unit on a different computer.

I try the same unit with the same Macbook pro under Tiger, it works perfectly.
I also test the Fireface with XP without problem.

The Fireface iss just not recognize on Leopard (at least on Leopard configuration on my notebook.

I try to reinstall the driver without success, I try to connect the fireface before booting, after the boot, .... I try everything I can..... without result.

So from my point of view there is a problem between Leopard on my MacBookPro and FF400.

But I am interrested to have feeback from other users with a FF400 with Leopard on a MacbookPro 15".

Regards,
Niklos

I found a little problem with leopard and ff400.

In the fireface mixer when you link for e.g your phones faders and then turn the knob on the ff400 only the left channel goes up or down.

Regards,
Viktor

That is normal and not related to Leopard, but thanks for confirming that it does work. Set the knob to stereo mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

niklos wrote:
MC wrote:

I try the same unit with the same Macbook pro under Tiger, it works perfectly.
I also test the Fireface with XP without problem.

The Fireface iss just not recognize on Leopard (at least on Leopard configuration on my notebook.

I try to reinstall the driver without success, I try to connect the fireface before booting, after the boot, .... I try everything I can..... without result.

So from my point of view there is a problem between Leopard on my MacBookPro and FF400.

But I am interrested to have feeback from other users with a FF400 with Leopard on a MacbookPro 15".

Regards,
Niklos

A post, to follow up my problem with Leopard and FF400.
I reinstall Leopard, before install anything else  I Iinstall the FF400 drivers... and it WORKS.

I want to thank you the RME Support who always gives me a support and was reactive.

Regards,
Niklos

MC wrote:

That is normal and not related to Leopard, but thanks for confirming that it does work. Set the knob to stereo mode.

Thank you Matthias. Must have overlooked something all the time ;-)

It works superb with leopard and logic. Dream combination for me. 64 samples latency with most instruments and space designer

Very happy i decided last year to get a fireface 400 !

Cheers,
Viktor Vos

Hello ,
thx for reading,
i a m on a brand new Mac book pro (the unibody...), 10.5.5, core duo, 2X2,8 ghz, 4Go ram.
But only one 800 firewire port....
and i own a FF400.
i use a cable 800/400

new drivers, an so on.
I see the fireface face in preferences panels, able to select it.
I change volume from the mac, and it changes the numbers on the ff400 ok.
The mixer window refuse to mount, but menus are there
the settings window is every times up the others, hiding them,
and..no sound, except clics, and son on silence...

The internal mac sound system works nice.
The ff400, nothing.

Is there any compatibility problems ?

The same hard an softs run perfectly under 10.4.x on my mac pro Xeon...

thx for answering
eric-leguen@wanadoo.fr

Which FF driver did you install?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx for answering

I use the update driver coming from RME Website :
Mac OS X Intel driver for Fireface 400 / 800, version 2.62a.

I read that an other user in the forum seems to have same problems.
I post in apple forums too.
I feel it's something in this special "15 inch designed sytem10.5.5 osX",
coming with the new macBookpro.

I point that it doesnt' work, without any other gear  like Express card, or whatever.

An HDD connected on the 800 port works perfectly.
Problems are only with the RME FF 400.

I hope a solution, of course, professional user.

Read you next time.

thx

Eric LE GUEN

Hi Eric,

Did you try connecting the FF to the extra port on the HDD yet? That was one workaround for the bad iMac chipset.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

hey Iguanoid,
as i wrote i my own post, i resolve the problem using an express card firewire 400.
the sound now is ok, but i still have some problems...
the fireface is working only whit ac power adapter connected.
and also... the fireface setting window pop up. i close, but after few seconds it pop up again! no possible to keep it close or minimized...
and one more problem... the fireface mixer's output (the middle line) are replaced from grey empty columns!
any reason??? should i change something in the settings?

i solved also the fireface setting window problem and so the fireface mixer dissepear problem, just reinstalling the driver.
but i still need the adapter to switch on the fireface.

very happy anyway... finally i can finish the track i promise to the label!
wink

Hello !

Finally, i solved the problem.

I use a FW hub, powered. and the FF400 plugged on it works perfectly.

Tks for the help, all readers
and RME support.

Eric LE GUEN
:-)

what FireWire hub did you used? i'll buy one.... i've got the same problem...

diafebus wrote:

what FireWire hub did you used? i'll buy one.... i've got the same problem...

Most should do. If you don't want to use a Hub, but only a cable, then use this: http://www.lindy.de/ieee1394a-firewire- … 32908.html

something else? why is this working? only connectinc a hub?
i tried with my external HD and didn't work.. is firewire..
but why is this working with the hub if hub represents to transmit the same info?

i'll probably buy a more connectors hub, the imacs only have 1 firewire400... i could need some more.
thanks!

29 (edited by diafebus 2009-01-10 03:56:08)

hey!
i made a new try, my HD which didn't worked as a hub for FF400 was a Iomega but my father own's a Lacie HD, I tried and,... Magically worked! but i can't use the hd of my father to connect the FF400 forever i should buy a hub or this that you said. Are you sure that this firewire can fix the problem? Because for what i see there is firewire that fix problem and some other that can not fix it!

thank you!

edit: in case that this wire is the correct, how can i buy it? i'm from spain, and i'm trying to register but only let me register in countries that it says.

Just go to any electronic store that sells Firewire hubs and try the next best you find. It either works (then you keep it) or doesn't (then you bring it back).

Since Lindy doesn't let you register you could write them an Email and ask wether they send their products to Spain.

ok so ive read all these posts installed the 10.5.5 update reinstalled 2.62 FF drivers connected fireface 800 to imac through lacie hard drive thrown away ff extensions and reinstalled and reinstalled and reinstalled and.... the latest flash driver will not install says there is no FF driver installed???  but its its its there right there and the FF800 works on my old mac and was working fine on this newer imac for 4 months pulling my hair out here guess i need a shave......to ad to my already frustrated stat we as customers should not have to be concerned about what the part numbers on the components are, inside these high priceed microchip boxes and............ RME RULES!!!!!

any help?

Hi

I am the proud owner of a RME FireFace 400 I bought a year ago. It was working fine with my Windows XP Lap top.

I have now a MacBook Pro, 2,4 gig Intel Core 2 Duo with Mac OSX version 10.5.8.
I have latest RME driver for Intel from your web site.

Each time I start the Mac with the FF400, and try to use it into an audio software, the connection with the interface in beaking off.
The interface is connected with a FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 adaptor cable.
The cable has been checked and the MAC mother board change be Apple.

The problems remains....

Can somebody help me because I am desperate....

Thanks