Topic: Fireface 800 and Focusrite ISA 428 with ADcard=clicks and level losses

Hello.

I am using Cubase (winXP) with a Fireface 800 connected with a quadruple preamp Focusrite ISA 428.
This configuration works very well.
To widen the possibilities of this configuration, I recently added its AD card to the ISA 428.
I put the ISA 428 as master clock and linked it with Fireface by 1 BNC and 2 ADAT cables, and SyncCheck leds are green.
Regrettably, I have regularly clicks and crackling, even losses of level during the recording (even if I'm recording only one track at a time).
Did I make an error in connections?
I also made an attempt with Fireface 800 as master clock and I had the same problems.
Does anybody know a solution to this problem?

Cordially.

Dominique

Re: Fireface 800 and Focusrite ISA 428 with ADcard=clicks and level losses

Hello,

does the Sync status (LEDs or settings dialog) ever change? Is the FF set to Autosync?
Have you tried another cable?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, Daniel.

The Sync status (both LEDS and settings dialog) are "sync" for WordClock, ADAT1 and ADAT2.
I tried another ADAT cable witout any change.
Can't test an other BNC cable (I have only one).
Any idea?

Dominique

Hi!

I have a Multiface 1 and want to get an ISA 828 connecting it over optical ADAT cable together. Is there a problem to sync both over Wordclock/BNC?

Greetings, Thomas

I've got an ISA828 with internal AD card hooked to a fireface 800, I run it as master through the word clock and ADAT for data. I have had no problems at all runs perfect and sounds really clean.

cheers  Greg

Hi Greg! Why do you set teh 828 as master? Is it not better to set the RME to it?

also cheers, thomas

Hi Thomas,
If he typically only works with one sample rate then it won't matter if the RME or the ISA is master. If you work with different sample rates then it is way more convenient to run the the RME as master. The sound quality of the ISA will not be effected either way. Just more convenient to run the RME as master.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks Chris!

@ Greg
Are you satisfied with the 828?

I have an SPL Goldmike MKII with Lundahl`s and an UA 6176.
Think about the 828 for Drums. Currently works a Marian Addcon at the Adat of my Multiface which i could change to it.

Sorry for that English und best regards from Franconia!

Ok, so i need some help from you Chris to connect Multiface I with the ISA 828 Digital Card!

If i want to run the Multiface as master on 44kHz it seems to be correct to connect them over
one optical ADAT-cable and sync them over one BNC-Wordclockcable. Correct?
Can you tell me the correct setup in the DSP-Setting window?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply.
I think the 828 is a good work horse unit and with the digital card is fairly economical as the converters seem to be really very good.
As preamps go they are clean and smooth with the Lundahls, not as true as say my Forsell SMP2, but cleaner than my Avalon 737 and way cleaner than the UA la-610. They sound nicer than the Fireface pre's which are very plain. Lundahl transformers can give a slight subtle silkyness.
For the $3500 to $4000 with the digital card you could get an API lunchbox with 8 pretty interesting preamps if you are into DIY, but you would be pushing to get a good converter and the also the lunchbox.
I mainly bought the isa 828 for ease of use and so as other people using my studio can get it up and running easily without having to plug in to many connections. I use it mostly for drums. Also the insert points are really handy. I have 2 x stereo 1176 and a couple of purple audio action compressors for 6 of the channels although haven't actually used all of them at once yet.

cheers  Greg

Hi Greg!

Thank you for the answer.
I have also an UA 6176, but didn`t use it much, because i bought it a few days ago.
I think on base-git he is very good. Have you compare the UA to the Focusrite on Vocals?

Thomas

well I have a UA LA-610, which is  a UA 610 preamp combined with an opto compressor, similiar to a UA LA-2A. It is a fully valve unit whereas the 6176 is valve on the preamp and solid state on the compressor. I also have some DIY UA 1176 clones which are not mic preamps but compressors. It is a little hard to compare the ISA828 and the 610 section of the UA6176 or UA LA-610 as they are so different. The UA 610 preamp I have in the LA-610 is very warm and distorts very easily, it also doesn't have a great deal of headroom, when combined with the valve opto compressor it provides a very warm and rich in harmonic content tone if set correctly, but can be very difficult to work with if the singer has a wide dynamic range and you don't want to get obvious clipping, but still want to be in the "warm range" On the other hand I believe the UA6176 is easier to work with while still capable of quite high levels of distortion. The FET type compressors in the 6176 and 1176 units are capable of much more transparent or much more extreme compression without sounding overly distorted than the opto compressor in the la-610. On vocals the 6176 is very good for female vocals and probably most other vocals. The 828 is also very good and when combined with a 1176 compressor would sound similar to the 6176 on a cleaner setting, but would probably be cleaner again without sounding thin. It has a really nice silky sound on vocals when combined with the 1176. If I had a choice of one or the other, 828 versus 6176 for vocals and that was the only choice I would probably go with the 6176. As I have 6 x 1176 type compressors and do a lot of multi instrument recording the 828 is very practical.
Also the regarding the la-610 it is great for very warm vocal sounds especially mid to deeper and less delicate voices.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have some other questions.

Yes, the 610 is not easy to level without distortion. When i set the small gain-regulator to -5 or -10 it is much easier.
Do you know why ther is a pad also?

I think the pad is to lower the level before the input transformer so as to reduce clipping/distortion in the input transformer, the gain controls the negative feedback in the first stage after the transformer - more gain means less feedback and higher distortion with a richer harmonic content. The level control is between the first and second stage.

cheers  Greg

15 (edited by jumpy 2011-10-09 20:25:34)

Hi Greg or RME Support Team!

Now i have got my ADC-Card and want to run the 828 with external clock from the RME.

Today i connected the Adat (optical) out from the 828-Card with the optical in from (Multiface).
Then BNC Wordclock out (Multiface) to WC in 828.
The DSP setting window let me know that the  Multiface has an Adat Sync Input.
Wordclock doesn`t work. Then i connected a second BNC form WC Multiface in to 828 WC out and now the green
sync LED on the Multiface was on. Why???

jumpy wrote:

Hi Greg or RME Support Team!

Now i have got my ADC-Card and want to run the 828 with external clock from the RME.

Today i connected the Adat (optical) out from the 828-Card with the optical in from (Multiface).
Then BNC Wordclock out (Multiface) to WC in 828.
The DSP setting window let me know that the  Multiface has an Adat Sync Input.
Wordclock doesn`t work. Then i connected a second BNC form WC Multiface in to 828 WC out and now the green
sync LED on the Multiface was on. Why???

Because sync means it has a signal to sync to. Not that it is transmitting a sync signal. What do you mean by "Wordclock doesn't work"? Does your 828 not show that is is synced to the Multiface?

It will show an ADAT sync light because it has a valid incoming digital signal. (on the ADAT cable)

hope this helps,

Isaac P

Syncing over ADAT is no problem.
But the Multiface is only synced over Wordclock when i connect the second BNC cable from BNC out 828 to input Multiface.
I can ask another way...
When i want to sync the 828 with the Wordclck from Multiface.
Is this possible with ONE BNC cable? If yes, who is this to connect?

you should just connect an adat cable from 828 to multiface and the word clock cable from multiface to ISA 828. Make sure the Multiface is set to internal in the Multiface control panel, not to word clock. Then if you need to press the button on the 828 to set it to word in and check the sample rate light is lite up for the correct sample ratw and you should be good to go. If you switch on the fireface first then boot up the computer, make sure the FF is set to internal then start the 828 it should be okay right away. If you start the 828 first you may need to press some buttons on the front to get it in sync.

cheers  Greg

19 (edited by jumpy 2011-10-10 08:26:17)

Ok, but i do not understand why the 828 is only syncing when i connect a second WC cable from WC-out 828 to WC-in Multiface.

What about 256x/Superclclock? Is this supported from the Multiface?

256x/Superclclock, I don't think so. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. It sounds like the Multi face isn't set to internal. Also I know the 828 has some internal jumpers on the digital card but I don't remeber what they do.

I don't think the jumpers will make a diffrence. see here

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ … php?id=302

RME set to master
828 set to EXT and not 256X (page 12 of 828 manual)
Adat from 828 to RME
Wordclock from RME to 828.
RME should indicate sync on Adat nothing on wordclock
828 lock led should lite up.
Then 100% ok
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

RME set to master
828 set to EXT and not 256X (page 12 of 828 manual)
Adat from 828 to RME
Wordclock from RME to 828.
RME should indicate sync on Adat nothing on wordclock
828 lock led should lite up.
Then 100% ok
Good luck!

Just to confirm, Wordclock out of MF to Wordclock in of 828 :-)

Isaac P

Thanks, works fine after changing the optical cable.

Is it normal to get some red indicators with the RME tool "Bitstatistic"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLXNFNQpUhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vpoh6kJZC8