Topic: Connecting a BAE 1073MP to FireFace UFX

Hi

I am having a noob connection question. I am going to connect a borrowed BAE 1073 preamp to one of the line in's on the FireFace UFX. What level should I use for it (-10dbV, +4dbU, Lo Gain)? And, the BAE does have a gain and an output knob and no VU or clipping led. What should I set the output knob to? Full? I am a little uncertain about this. Thanks for answers!!

Re: Connecting a BAE 1073MP to FireFace UFX

Use +4 on the UFX input if you have a balanced cable connection. Use the Output control on the BAE to control the level coming into the UFX. You should be aiming for around -6dB in TotalMix FX input row for the peaks.

Of course, this is just generalization. If it sounds good, and you're not seeing clipping in TM FX, then go for it.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I'd probably go for the "Lo Gain" setting with a unit like that (likely capable of well over +25dBu w/o clipping, and IIRC "Lo Gain" is still only +19dBu = 0dBfs).

I resorted to using "Lo Gain" on my ADI-8's plus some passive -6dB to -12dB XLR attenuators to allow me to drive my high-output-level "character preamps" into their "sweet zone" where their character/vibe can really be heard.  I would definitely categorize the BAE/Neve as such a preamp as well...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Great answers guys! Thanks a lot!