1 (edited by Ekorche 2011-10-30 15:33:46)

Topic: FF 400 + MAC OS X Lion : Troubles when using higher than 44100 Hz

Dear All,

I know that there are few existing post on this subject, but no one relating about a possible sample rate relationship.

I recently update from Mac OS X SL to Lion 10.7.2.

I'm using a FF 400 since 2 years and have never find some troubles before this update.
I'm was using FF 400 in 96000 Hz sample rate (mixing project under Ableton Live 8.2.6) before the Lion update and everything was OK.

To be sure of my driver installation, I've totally remove all components (using RME procedure find on this forum) of my previous version of the RME FF 400 drivers and apps. Then I've up date to the very last one (V2.97 with firmware 1.70).

The trouble appears as soon I as use it more than 44100 Hz sample rate, I get the next troubles:

The rotary encoder on the front face don't send any message to the Mac (e.g.: main volume) after few minutes of use...
The sound (if we can say "sound") of any video on youtube or internet is really bad : noisy, some cracks, blips etc ...
Randomly, the red light of "host" become red => No sound anymore => Must reboot to get sound !

System configuration:

MacPro1.1 Quad 2 x Intel core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
4 Gb RAM
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
RME FireFace 400
DAW Ableton Live 8.2.6

I precise, (one more time), that I was using 96000 Hz since 2 years before the Lion update, and all was working fine with the same configuration.

Does anyone could help me?

Thank you

Re: FF 400 + MAC OS X Lion : Troubles when using higher than 44100 Hz

Hi RME Support,

An answer?

Finally,

Even if it's in 44100 Hz, the trouble with the rotary encoder appear. After a longer time, but appear.

So the sample rate is not the cause...

Dear Admin Knut,

54 views, and no answer at all from the Admin Team...???

Thanks for a reply !

You should try to uninstall the drivers and then do a clean install on Lion. Updating from SL to Lion saw some issues regarding the update process.

Already tried Timur,

Thanks for your suggest

You make a clean install of Lion - not an update from SL?

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've made an update from SL (I missunderstood the sense of Timur's reply... Sorry for him).

I don't get the installation CD for Lion (downloaded version).

But in both case, know I've to format if I well understand ??? (downgrade to SL or complete re-install with Lion).

What a Job !? sad

A complete fresh install of Lion is a good idea.

best regards
Knut

Thanks to Timur and to Knut !!!

I can confirm that after a clean install of Mac Os X Lion 10.7.2 ( complete installation after a complete Formatted disk) and a clean install of the latest drivers all works Fine. No distortion, no interruption, more ! I can change the sample rate even during the playback and all is stable. I rediscover the magic sound of my setup !!!!

A long job to transfer all my data, but The game is not worth the candle !

In fact a simple update from Mac os X Snow Leopard doesn't give the same result than a complete installation of Lion at the end. Most of your old parameters are not change. I also can say that general performance are higher.

Thank you, and good music !

Thanks for the feedback.

best regards
Knut

What I did on my system and what worked well was to install 10.7 on a new partition, and then to migrate all programs and settings from 10.6 to 10.7. That way, audio works without any obvious problems, and 10.7 works with all the previously installed software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME