Topic: any linux users out there?

i'm seeing a lot of ms users... just wondering how many folks
out there using linux.

if so, anyone using a multiface with linux?

what kind of software are you using?  any ardour users?

thanks!  smile

2 (edited by biton 2007-05-22 19:05:35)

Re: any linux users out there?

using agnula demudi for fun but the FireFace is not supported so I just do anecdotic stuff with the internal soundcard.
I like to play with hydrogen and route it into jackrack to put effects on it. nothing much. but there's definitely good stuff in it.

yikes OH DEAR I WISH THE GOD OF DIGITAL AUDIO COULD HEAR US AND HAVE THE FIREFACE BE SUPPORTED UNDER LINUX !!!
(was that loud enough ? wink)

I know lots of people are watching what's happening in linux but don't step in because the sound support is always lesser than Win/OSX.

using MultifaceII + Cardbus under linux (64-bit). Works like a charm.
And I am an Ardour user, yes.

As for Fireface support, I'd much more like to hear about ExpressCard HDSP wink
And I hope we'll get it soon (this year?).

i asked the support people about linux and fireface 800, and they said they won't give out tech details because they are keeping them secret and proprietary. i guess at lest that's a fair, honest, and direct answer. so i now use the mobo audio when surfing from ubuntu.

Using a Digiface, a Multiface and an RPM with the PCI- and PCMCIA interface in the studio and on the road. Mostly with self written programs. If I have some spare time during the summer, I will have a closer look at the Fireface protocol with a sniffer and try to get it working.

I'm new to Linux. Some years ago I've tested RH (?), and then Knoppix distributions but with no serious audio software it was useless for me. Last week I've installed Ubuntu Studio via VirtualBox (virtualization server). Although it has a lot of audio stuff it still is for fun IMHO, not a serious working.

Beacuse many Vista problems and restrictions I'm gonna stay with Windows XP for next years but I hope companies like Steinberg would take their eyes on Linux. The truth is that I need Windows for two things only - Nuendo and Delphi (programming). While I can change Delphi to other programming solutions there is no one for audio. I'd like to use all my VST/VSTi's I need. Ubuntu seems to be more and more popular so I hope we'll have full RME and Steinberg support for Linux in next years...

Jacek

Does Linux work with the current firmware for the PCI cards or is it still back level?

8 (edited by mat_adnk 2007-06-11 20:34:30)

hi all,
i use rme pci card on ubuntustudio with no problems.. i don't know if firmware is back level?
well, for firewire users, freebob doesn't work??

vst/vsti works very well for me on ardour (but u need to compile your soft for this, according licence stuff, do not redistribute! )

linux has full support for hdsp cards, simply install alsa-firmware loaders to get the hdsp mixer, hdspconf and other stuff...

thanx RME for develop linux firmwares !

mat

mat_adnk wrote:

for firewire user, freebob doesn't work??

the supported device page of freebob projects says no. (they claim RME has been hostile to it)
but good news that they finally released version 1!

I thought this post even though old is worth joining for!
Linux user here. Gentoo and the Pro-audio overlay. I just want to say that firewire support in linux for the fireface has no interest to me whatsoever--overrated. I guess the RME folks bent over backwards to get that protocol working as good as they did and want to keep the IP to themselves.
However, there are several excellent PCI bus (PCI/cardbus) alternatives that work very well using the solid PCI bus. It doesn't get better than that (when you've got your IRQs locked down).
It's great there's support for DIGI & HDSP series and having the Totalmix clone (HDSPMixer) is another real bonus. I really hope that the communication between the driver writers (PD & TC et al) keep in-communicado with RME and maintain and extend the excellent level of code established.

GNU/Linux

11 (edited by sem 2007-09-17 08:57:26)

Hi
I'm using Linux "UbuntuStudio" as well, have just bought me a Digi 96/8 but I'm still waiting for the adat interface. Should I be able to control this card with the HDSP conf and the HDSP mixer apps which I can access in the sound/video menu ?

I'v tested the card so far by putting it in my computer, but I'm getting an error trying to load it via Jack, something about not finding a proper recording channel, but I'm gonna give it at go again when my adat interface arrives.

/Sem

12 (edited by independent 2007-09-17 23:36:15)

Sem, I am writing in response to your question, maybe of help to others as well. If I were you I'd start trying to configure your system now, as you should be able to get it working without an interface connected to it wink

HDSPconf, HDSPmixer, and HDSPloader are only suitable for the HDSP series. The digi96/8 series not HDSP cards. The kernel module for your card is snd-rme96. You should see it by typing lsmod in a terminal.
There are several different kernel drivers for RME cards--kernel side. They are as of 2.6.22.1-rt9, as follows: snd-hdsp, snd-rme96 (what you have), snd-rme32, snd-rme9652 (for the digi9652 (and digi9636 I guess), snd-hdspm (hdsp madi). From what I know the snd-hdsp (most likely the snd-hdspm too) is the only driver to have HDSPmixer, -conf, and -loader. There is a very good reason for this. The HDSP series let you control the hardware mixers built into those cards. These are the hdsp9652 (and probably madi too), hdsp9632, all of the hdsp pci-, pcie- and cardbus-based cards. The digi series don't have hardware mixers. Now this feature became apparent to me, when I realised I could easily double up my headphone mixes in hdspmixer and in qjackctl at the same time. I thought how can this be? I already have jackd controlling the sound card? It's because you are controlling the hardware with hdspmixer, this is independent but also complementary to whatever the sound card interface on the computer is seeing. So, in my case, the hdsp cardbus has a less direct interface to the mfaceII than hdspmixer does. I hope this is clear as it took a little while for the penny to drop for me.

HTH

GNU/Linux

Hey ADAT user

Thanks for answering my question. Today I got my AD converter which is a cheap Behringer ADA8000, but after fiddeling a little with sync and stuff, I got it all to work with 8 in and 8 out via ADAT. And I found out that there is a small tool called rmedigicontrol you could use instead of alsamixer, to set up your card "it comes with the alsa-tools package". It seems that it's not possible to have both S/PDIF and ADAT working at the same time, or am I missing something here ?

But all in all a cool card, I bought it used for round 70$ so I'm a happy man smile

/Sem

I'm trying to be an RME Linux user, but I have run into a serious problem.  I have a Gateway laptop (stop snickering already!) and a RME Multiface 1 / Cardbus and works flawlessly in Windows XP.  I love the sound of this card.  I just can't get it to work under Ubuntu Studio (or any other flavor of Ubuntu I've tried....including Feisty and Gutsy releases).

Here is my issue.  I'm having some seriously weird distortion whenever I try to play audio using my RME Multiface / Cardbus combo.   I have this constant garbled sound (audio plays back just fine using my on-board soundcard).  Seems to not have anything to do with latency as I've tried using low and high settings for this.  After doing a ton of research, I think I may have some issue with my Cardbus controller....seems others have had issues with the ENE CB1410 cardbus.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  I so badly want to use linux as my primary OS at home, but I can't until I get this resolved.  PLEASE HELP!

If you are sure it's the cardbus controller then there's not much you can do with that laptop. If you factor the cost of a new, second-hand laptop with dedicated graphics (like an old t22 thinkpad) compared to what you owe for the multiface (perhaps 250US compared to 400US), it really makes sense to make the laptop fit the sound card.
I suppose right now you need to make sure that it is the cardbus controller. Maybe looking through your logs

less /var/log/messages | grep PCI

and

dmesg

to look for errors? One thing though, if the laptop works with XP then why is this problem happening with GNU/Linux only? So maybe it's a driver error, but then probably not looking at the multitudes on the net who have had the same problem.

GNU/Linux

As an addendum, I remember looking through the recommended laptops for the multiface on old RME site and there were tests there which stated that laptops with dedicated graphics cards and memory were significantly faster than ones with integrated graphics and shared memory. (in case you do end up looking for a new-second-hand computer on the cheap). I'm a fan of thinkpads, and this site (you'll need to join to buy on the marketplace) often has good deals on used thinkpads

GNU/Linux

There had been a Windows driver update from ENE at some point where they fixed the worse behaviour into 'useable'. I can only assume that this fix did not make it into the Linux world.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME